• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Augmented Reality preflight app

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
This video was just sent to us today. It's an AR-app that helps new MH-60R pilots learn how to preflight the aircraft. I had seen something similar that allowed maintainers to get reps on various SE (e.g., using/pre-oping power carts, etc.). Pretty neat. I'm sure there are plenty of jokes to be made about millenials, but when I learned to preflight, these were my two tools:

1. An instructor who showed us the entire preflight once
  2. A 144-slide PowerPoint

Maintainers similarly use ASM/NKO and a two-repetition syllabus for their SE proficiency.

Now if our community could just figure out how to create demonstration "missions" in TOFTs run by two SWTIs that could be replayed/paused/instructed to play-by-play, we'd really be rolling...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Meh. I get the potential, but I didn't ever see anything that actually showed what it is you're supposed to be doing on the check. The real value is up top with the engine and head. I remember when they were working on this and came to -40 to demo it. But it seems like a lot of PMA-205 concepts...something that has potential but never really goes anywhere.

An instructor who showed us the entire preflight once

So you never had an IP on top of the aircraft with you pre-flighting? Not once? I was med-down when you came through the syllabus, but every time I've been out on the line, I've seen an IP up top with at least one stud, even if it's a FAM-10, post-NATOPS event. Really? Only once?

As an aside, AW-043 may just be the strongest H-60 I've ever flown. Like stupid strong. I did a FCP check in that bird (and later, my last flight in the Navy). The max power check was just retarded. I guess when an engine and airframe only has 150 hours amazing things can happen.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I don’t get it. Is this some kind of constraint? At HSC-2 we regularly had a preflight bird. Just weren’t allowed to flip any switches. We even had maintainers put ground power on a bird in the hangar to do the computer button pushing.

On the mission practice front, totally agree. I will say being -2 for an assload of other people’s sims helped me get pretty good at the mechanics. Reps and sets and all.

BB

@Gatordev We picked up a brand new Sierra from the factory in January. New motors, super light (no mission boxes or internal aux tank), negative DAs. Probably the fastest I’ve seen a 60 go straight and level.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
@Gatordev We picked up a brand new Sierra from the factory in January. New motors, super light (no mission boxes or internal aux tank), negative DAs. Probably the fastest I’ve seen a 60 go straight and level.
How fast? The slick block 0 60Bs used to be able to do about 165, but that was still with a radar, sono launcher (covered up with the metal plate), and the clunky computers in the mission racks.

I thought I heard that a slick A or a L could go faster than 180.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
How fast? The slick block 0 60Bs used to be able to do about 165, but that was still with a radar, sono launcher (covered up with the metal plate), and the clunky computers in the mission racks.

I thought I heard that a slick A or a L could go faster than 180.

I was in a squadron with brand new MH-60Ss. In plane guard once as a newish check in, I had a DH ask me if I wanted to go as fast as we could while remaining in limits and in level flight... at the end of the cycle, we were doing 168 (we would have been in an unarmed Block IIIB though which had more wiring and boxes than a slicked out Sierra) with a tailwind that took us to 183 over the ground. At 150 feet, zooming next to the carrier going in opposite direction, it felt fast. Had a lot of fun and it was cool to see a LCDR take his guard down a bit and be just as interested in some of the fun stuff as a brand new LTJG.

With that said, I don't recall having a problem hitting 150 in the Sierra... we did a lot of transits that required us to go max blast, and from what I recall, max range was usually between 134-141 as well, so we weren't that far from that.

MGoBrew11

pilot
None of the people quoted in the video could be considered SMEs on the MH-60R, let alone flying aircraft. Not the most effective advertising to get this off the ground. Also don't really think the system is currently broken so I don't really see the utility.

Your idea for tactics on the other hand I think is interesting...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Are you saying none of them have enough SME-ness/are a big enough SMEnis?

MGoBrew11

pilot
I'm just saying if you're going to advertise a product for MH60-R pilots then interview well...MH60R pilots. Or at least naval aviators. It looked to me like they were all AvPhys/Supply people and maybe one NFO? Or maybe I just need to get my vision checked.

I don't think it is a terrible idea. But I also don't think it really provides anything that students can't already get by asking their instructors questions and studying the "old" way.

AllYourBass's idea for tactics "game tape" I think is a pretty good one though. When I was going through my initial tactics phase it felt like a lot of "fake it til you make it" without anyone really teaching you anything.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

No doubt you guys can go faster. During my DH tour, we had an AD that could tune the rotor head like no one's business, so one of our det birds was super smooth. Couple that with strong engines (I I did the math and I think it was like a 1.03-ish) and that bird was quick. You would be doing 140 knots and not realize it (notable in a 10K hour Bravo), and that was with the side FLIR.

I just hadn't seen an engine as strong as 043s before. Since you can't do the math anymore to see what it really is, I'm guessing, but it had to be at least a 1.05. And all that other LOT 14 goodness ("Why didn't the data load into the computer?" "Not sure. Maybe -299 will give us training on this eventually...").

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It was about 165 flat out. I think it’s mostly a gross weight thing. The blade fold head is..what? 1k in extra weight? So even an empty Navy version can’t tough an A/L, let alone an M with bigger motors and wide chord blade.

Still blows my mind we didn’t buy the shit the Army already paid for. ??‍♂️

Pags

N/A
pilot
It was about 165 flat out. I think it’s mostly a gross weight thing. The blade fold head is..what? 1k in extra weight? So even an empty Navy version can’t tough an A/L, let alone an M with bigger motors and wide chord blade.

Still blows my mind we didn’t buy the shit the Army already paid for. ??‍♂️
Would still need money to buy that stuff that USN RW either didn't have or needed for something else. Would also need to include the money for engineering and test on USN a/c since they're not the same as the USA a/c.