• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATP good deals dead and gone?

taco09

Good evening ladies and gents,

Am I just stuck hearing about the "good old days" of the ATP? If I'm not mistaken, it seems as though you're stuck paying $10-15K for 5 days of powerpoint and 8 hours in a multi-engine simulator. I know some C130 guys sliding over to the airlines that are getting the ATP CTP or Restricted one entirely or nearly so paid for by their new boss, but for those of us still Semper, is there a reasonable way to get your ATP without running out to the airlines?

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The FAA has restructured the levels of pilot licenses. The ATP airplane multi engine license is no longer just a step up. It is now tailored to actual airline flying.

If you want an ATP, the requirements are spelled out in the FARs. It requires the ATP-CTP class. There are no short cuts. You will either have to pay for it yourself or get an airline to pay for it for you. I have heard Delta runs a course for around $5k.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Rumor has it, you CAN get hired by a major if you've got the paper and the logs they're looking for, but it's definitely a discriminator. You're not alone. I know plenty of heavy dudes who said they'd never go to the airlines and didn't need it when I took my helo/T-6 ass to get my multi-ATP... now they're paying as much or more than I did to get their ATPs done when it could have been a simple checkride at the time.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
ATP-CTP is covered by the GI Bill FYI. The ATP practical/ type rating is also covered. The trick to getting both covered is to complete one before the VA funding year ends (I think July 31 or August 31 but I forget- check) then turn around and get the other done right after.

Now that Delta runs its own ATP-CTP course, I’d recommend doing it through them if you think you may want to be Delta pilot someday.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Once I take my ATP-CTP, is there a timeframe within which I must complete my ATP practical?

sevenhelmet

pilot
Now apparently "the system" isn't allowing me to register for FAA exams because it's been 16 years since I took one, and SSNs are no longer used. Yay, goat rope...

sevenhelmet

pilot
Got CATS unfucked, finally so I can register. Now dealing with super-slow phone service. Stand by to stand by...