• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AT before DCOIC?

barlowdt

So during my INDOC weekend in March the NOSC stated that anyone who entered in before July of a FY has to do AT or the year would be counted as "bad". I know that usually DCOIC classes are considered a new ENS's first AT...but all the classes for the rest of this FY are full up. Just wondering if anyone else has been in this position and what they did about it. AT would be an interesting and informative experience to be sure, but I don't know how much good I would do as a totally untrained ENS. I'm in Intel BTW, with an Army Intel background, not Navy.

Are waivers granted for such situations? I'll be asking my unit of course at next drill, but I figured I would see what you all have to say here. Plus, perhaps it will help someone else later on if they find themselves in a similar situation...Thanks all!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That doesn't really make sense, since a "good year" is based off your anniversary date. It certainly will make having a good year, coupled with the next FY, harder, but not impossible. That said, why not put yourself in for 12 days of AT, get the points and just help where you can, where ever you can do the AT? Not sure if you have a unit yet, so if not, you should still be able to do AT with the NOSC.

Also, I'm pretty sure the due date for getting AT into the system is 31 May. Once you're in the system, you can still do AT as late as September. Perhaps you've got some unusual circumstances, but on the surface, it sounds like you're getting some bad info from your NOSC (not unusual).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
15 Membership Points + 44 Drill points (4 pts/drill weekend, 11 drill weekends/year) = 59 points.

A good year is not the issue at all. Remember, your drills are "obligated" time and the AT is your "entitled" time. i.e. - you are obligated to drill, and because you did, you're entitled to the extra pay/benefits of a two week AT.

It's not unheard of for reserve guys to not do an AT, and I would say yours is a legit reason. HOWEVER, if your AT is with your ultimate unit - I wouldn't worry about being a know-nothing ENS. I would go if for nothing else than to get to know everyone, and show them that you're value added...

Agree with everything above except for where you're getting your numbers. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just missing something I think you've taken into account. Why would it not be 48 points (12 weekends/year)? Again, I know (and know you know) we're talking anniversary year and not fiscal, just curious why you're not including the last month for the OP.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I gotcha. That makes sense. On the Blue side, 9 or more UAs also equals a letter and a bus ticket home...er...to stay home. A nice tool to have and one I've had to use to cull the herd.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
15 Membership Points + 44 Drill points (4 pts/drill weekend, 11 drill weekends/year) = 59 points......It's not unheard of for reserve guys to not do an AT, and I would say yours is a legit reason. HOWEVER, if your AT is with your ultimate unit - I wouldn't worry about being a know-nothing ENS. I would go if for nothing else than to get to know everyone, and show them that you're value added...

I am pretty certain you have to get a written waiver to not do AT in the Navy Reserve, either someone in barlowdt's unit should know and if not the NOSC definitely should. Since AT is tied to the FY I think he needs a waiver even if he has a 'good' year if he doesn't take AT in that FY (might be a Navy-only rule).

Because 44 is the min (11 months, plus one month that you do your AT vice a drill weekend). 48 is the norm (we do a couple of 6 drillers each year - but you can only do 4 drillers those weekends and still be sat). There's some instruction somewhere that I read that said you can have 4 unexcused drills (aka one drill weekend) a year and still get a good year.

I think DoD rules are that you get a min of 40 a year, a quick Google search didn't yield the reg but I have seen that repeatedly.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am pretty certain you have to get a written waiver to not do AT in the Navy Reserve, either someone in barlowdt's unit should know and if not the NOSC definitely should. Since AT is tied to the FY I think he needs a waiver even if he has a 'good' year if he doesn't take AT in that FY (might be a Navy-only rule).

The whole "needs" a waiver seems to be a little fuzzy. I had a guy who missed his AT so I threw him some ADT I could spare to give him a good year. No one asked for an AT waiver for him. That might not be the right answer, but that's how it went down.

I think DoD rules are that you get a min of 40 a year, a quick Google search didn't yield the reg but I have seen that repeatedly.

Which would jive with the 9 UAs and you're out. So even if not true, it at least makes sense...which probably guarantees that it's not the case.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The whole "needs" a waiver seems to be a little fuzzy......it at least makes sense...which probably guarantees that it's not the case.

I think that sums up a lot of the rules WRT to the reserves.

yingty01

barlowdt: Check out Chapters 11 and 13 of BUPERSINST 1001.39F for additional guidance. NOSC appears to be referring to the requirements for satisfactory participation in the Reserve, which are based on the FY, not the requirements for a qualifying year towards your retirement, which are based on the anniversary year. Also, check the DCO roster occasionally. People cancel their quotas pretty frequently- you may be able to go during the current FY.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, check the DCO roster occasionally. People cancel their quotas pretty frequently- you may be able to go during the current FY.

Good recommendation, but he'll still need to get his AT in by 31 May. If something does open up, he can move the dates to the class date, but he'll need to have the money approved already.

barlowdt

Thank you folks! It was a very informative discussion to read. I have my drill weekend this weekend so I am hoping I can get some answers at least how my unit wants to handle this situation. If nothing else I'm sure I'll get called out for not having any orders in NROWS which we were just told had to be done by this weekend. Thankfully my butterbar should protect me from anyone having any real expectations, right?

I know some people don't start actually drilling until after they go to DCOIC/NIOBC...I can definitely see the advantage of doing that now in that it's a bit intimidating to be thrown into a unit with no formal training/indoc to Navy Reserve life (prior army enlisted here).

And thanks Yingty01 - I actually tried to put myself on a waitlist for a class a little while back but I think I used my butterbar powers to somehow screw it up as I'm not showing up on the roster at all, even waitlisted. I am still do check biweekly though, just in case someone drops. Fingers crossed!

Also, FYI, he's actually a she. :) I hope ya'll have a great weekend!

Messiah62

I have been in the Air Guard for 5 years. Why not just do the AT days? I will be commissioning in the next few months as well, but won't be doing any AT days this year since DCOIC is full.

VR-AM2

Generally, if you check into the command prior to 01 June, you are required to do AT. Any ADT can be used to satisfy your AT requirements. Checking in after 01 June, you do not need to do AT for this fiscal year. But since this FY is almost over and you will not go to DCOIC until next FY, I second Messiah's suggestion to just go ahead and do the AT. It will help you to get familiar with your new command, make a good impression, and the experience will only be beneficial when you show up at DCOIC and already know some of the stuff they'll teach you there. Good luck.

barlowdt

So, I did schedule myself to do some AT with my unit, which is awesome that I may get some actual intel experience before DCOIC and NIOBC...but there is a fair chance of me attending active duty NIOBC before the end of the FY, so problem solved! Its good to know I am covered, whichever way the chips fall.

Thanks everyone for the comments! Such a great community here. :)

VR-AM2

So, I did schedule myself to do some AT with my unit, which is awesome that I may get some actual intel experience before DCOIC and NIOBC...but there is a fair chance of me attending active duty NIOBC before the end of the FY, so problem solved! Its good to know I am covered, whichever way the chips fall.

Thanks everyone for the comments! Such a great community here. :)

How did you go about getting a quota for AD NIOBC? I really don't feel like spending every drill weekend doing power points for the next 2 years or so and my job would allow me to go that route too.