• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astigmatism

Sterling

I got selected for navy OCS. I haven't got my date yet.
I have better than 20/40 I see 20/15 with both eyes together and my left eye has an astigmatism. It still sees better than 20/40.
Wondering if I should turn down the offer because I think I can get it fixed and re selected. Not sure if i even need to forego it beachside my astigmatism is at the limit. Any insight?

Sterling

Well, I'm barely medically qualified sir. So I'm worried as would be most any aviator that the NAMI flight surgeon might use different or more sophisticated equipment possibly more precise and I could fail.
Trying to cover the bases.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Sterling,
If you fall within standards for visual acuity and refractive error, I would not advise having corrective surgery. No procedure is risk free, and any complications could delay or even render you NPQ for commissioning and NPQ for flight. Not sure why you want to take that chance.

R/

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Well, I'm barely medically qualified sir. So I'm worried as would be most any aviator that the NAMI flight surgeon might use different or more sophisticated equipment possibly more precise and I could fail.
Trying to cover the bases.

Barely qualified still means you're qualified. As Timebomb said, you're risking further and even permanent complications getting surgery. You will need to do a new MEPS physical and likely going to have to give up your PROREC status to get a new physical and ultimately re-apply.