• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astigmatism - would I be dq'd?

Splonk

In another thread I found for an SNA astigmatism can be no greater than -1.00 diopters.

The picture below is for my old contacts prescription from January 2012 (haven't been to eye doctor since). If I am reading it correctly the -1.25 in the left eye is out of that limit, so would I be DQ'd? Is there a waiver for that, and how does it work? I was going to contact a recruiter this week, but don't want to waste time.

2jc7sm1.jpg

Thanks

Splonk

Second thought, I just found out I can do a free eye exam. S0, I made an appointment for later today to see how much the eyes have changed in the past three years.

Last edited:

Splonk

Just got back and I have 20/20 in both eyes. She said my eyes had stabilized as well.
Astigmatism was -1.00 in left and -0.50 in right.

I lied and it turns out I went there a year ago where they had -0.75 for both eyes. I guess it depends on who's doing the test and the equipment used. Also guess I'm good to go... barely

jtmedli

pilot
That's a little close for comfort. My eyes are almost the exact same way. Except my right is the one that hovers around 1.00 CYL. The tests they'll do on your initial flight physical at OCS are MUCH more thorough and difficult than the normal ones at the optometrist. I wouldn't be surprised if that 1.25 turned into a 1.50 CYL pretty quickly. The limit is 1.00 for astigmatism and they are pretty serious about it. SNFO limits are a little more 'lax. Like 1.50 or something.

Personally, I'd consider lasik or prk to correct the astigmatism. I F-ing hate wearing glasses with my helmet. Not to mention it'd get you to 20/20 and you wouldn't have to worry about the physical DQ-ing you.

andre lane

PILOT1906
I need help! I got Lasik surgery and I see very well 20/15 each eye with a slight astigmatism of -0.25 and -0.75 before the surgery my astigmatism was -2.50 and -3.25 in the other eye. I looked up the requirements on astigmatism and the highest you can have is -3.00 can this be waviable by N3M?