• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB ASTB study prep recommendations.

Hi everyone,
I’m a 25 year old female, prior enlisted (corpsman - HM). I got out of active duty (honorable discharge) after 5 years active and one year reserve due to a family emergency and I am currently working towards a major in Physics with a focus on Astrophysics. I have been talking with an OR about applying for a Naval Aviator billet and we started scheduling times for me to take my ASBT. I am very familiar with the aviation side of the navy as I was an aviation corpsman and worked very closely with pilots and flight surgeons.
My question was since I’m going to be taking the ASTB soon, what are some good resources that I can use to study. I would like to say that I am pretty strong in the math department as I am taking pretty advanced mathematics for my physics degree, but is there anything else I should worry about? How many questions are there on the test per section and what would be considered a competitive score?
Also, to whomever might have the knowledge, what would be my chances of actually getting selected for a class I naval aviator?
Like I said, I was enlisted for 5 years active and 1 year reserve prior to separating. I have very good prior military evals and my GPA right now is at 3.8.
Any advice or input would be extremely helpful.
Thanks in advance!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
All if not most of your questions can be found by searching the forums. There’s a whole forum/section dedicated just to the ASTB. There’s another to the recruiting process which could be of good use down the road.

travdoc

Hey there! I'm an HM2 applying as well, check out RUFiO181's signature line for the "How competitive am I?" link. For what it's worth, I would love to see recommendations for literature that aren't 5-16 years old. Reading those threads, opening links only to find web pages are non-existent makes me think that the search function may be somewhatoverused here. I would love to see some suggestions from people who have recently went through the process, or at least some affirmation that the test hasn't changes and that the same literature would work.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but it's definitely concerning seeing a 16 year old thread headline the gouge for ASTB. I could be wrong though

V/r,
HM2

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hey there! I'm an HM2 applying as well, check out RUFiO181's signature line for the "How competitive am I?" link. For what it's worth, I would love to see recommendations for literature that aren't 5-16 years old. Reading those threads, opening links only to find web pages are non-existent makes me think that the search function may be somewhatoverused here. I would love to see some suggestions from people who have recently went through the process, or at least some affirmation that the test hasn't changes and that the same literature would work.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but it's definitely concerning seeing a 16 year old thread headline the gouge for ASTB. I could be wrong though

V/r,
HM2

All the information provided is consistently updated. I don’t know where you’re getting the “16 years old” information from.

Did you take the time to actually scroll through the threads? My assumption is no...

travdoc

All the information provided is consistently updated. I don’t know where you’re getting the “16 years old” information from.

Did you take the time to actually scroll through the threads? My assumption is no...

Well sure, and after consistently following links that are no longer active, I'm starting to see a problem. My "16 years old" was in reference to the pinned thread at the top of the "ASTB" forum, found by navigating to your "Where can I find ASTB gouge?" link, which was created in July 2002. The "New Updated ASTB Study Guides", which claims to be new, is from 2011, and not to be redundant, but features links which are no longer active.

I can keep giving out locations where this is true, if that helps with your assumptions.

I'm merely raising the question: wouldn't it make sense to start a FY18/19 ASTB Study Guide Pinned post? With those who have RECENTLY taken the test adding their input? Nothing against our older members who are likely now doing great things as commissioned officers, but if this is the same Navy I serve in today, things change every year, if not quarter. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to compile an updated threat without barking down someone's throat about using the search function.

Am I wrong?

abctotheabc

Some of the information provided x amount of years ago concerning the officer test still applies today, hence why the thread is still open since its creation. You can simply open the thread and jump to Jan 2014 (when they rolled out the new version of ASTB) and start reading from there to get everything that would apply to you. Reading post by post actually gives you insight on the type of experiences and various questions people receive. You can begin to see patterns as well from the number of posts and with your own intellect and from links 2014 and beyond put together a suitable study guide for yourself.

travdoc

Some of the information provided x amount of years ago concerning the officer test still applies today, hence why the thread is still open since its creation. You can simply open the thread and jump to Jan 2014 (when they rolled out the new version of ASTB) and start reading from there to get everything that would apply to you. Reading post by post actually gives you insight on the type of experiences and various questions people receive. You can begin to see patterns as well from the number of posts and with your own intellect and from links 2014 and beyond put together a suitable study guide for yourself.

Sure, absolutely no argument with any of that Anthony. I do believe my point stands, even if no action will be taken on it, that's fine. I'm just trying to start a discussion that will hopefully benefit Sailors, not egos. While sifting through thousands of posts will certainly have some positive impact, the amount of time discerning misinformation/outdated information is incredibly inefficient. Why not put together a new pinned post every...3 years? 5 years? RUFiO himself even says in a thread .."For those expecting to take the ASTB in order to apply for a commission, there is going to be a new ASTB to be released as noted below. What that means for those who follow Airwarriors is that previous pointers and tips for studying may no longer be relevant.."

So what's the problem with having a new thread? I get it, people that post questions asked hundreds of times is ridiculously annoying, I'm sure it gets old for those who have been on this site for years. I think this is different though, the test has changed, and the best material or prep method has likely changed with it.

But I have no interest in getting in keyboard arguments, my point stands and I hope someone considers it.

abctotheabc

Sure, absolutely no argument with any of that Anthony. I do believe my point stands, even if no action will be taken on it, that's fine. I'm just trying to start a discussion that will hopefully benefit Sailors, not egos. While sifting through thousands of posts will certainly have some positive impact, the amount of time discerning misinformation/outdated information is incredibly inefficient. Why not put together a new pinned post every...3 years? 5 years? RUFiO himself even says in a thread .."For those expecting to take the ASTB in order to apply for a commission, there is going to be a new ASTB to be released as noted below. What that means for those who follow Airwarriors is that previous pointers and tips for studying may no longer be relevant.."

So what's the problem with having a new thread? I get it, people that post questions asked hundreds of times is ridiculously annoying, I'm sure it gets old for those who have been on this site for years. I think this is different though, the test has changed, and the best material or prep method has likely changed with it.

But I have no interest in getting in keyboard arguments, my point stands and I hope someone considers it.

Of course I understand your point. I do believe it would be nice to clean up the forums a bit and get rid of outdated threads/info/posts, as the Navy is always changing and a more organized forum would look good for future decades.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Well sure, and after consistently following links that are no longer active, I'm starting to see a problem. My "16 years old" was in reference to the pinned thread at the top of the "ASTB" forum, found by navigating to your "Where can I find ASTB gouge?" link, which was created in July 2002. The "New Updated ASTB Study Guides", which claims to be new, is from 2011, and not to be redundant, but features links which are no longer active.

I can keep giving out locations where this is true, if that helps with your assumptions.

I'm merely raising the question: wouldn't it make sense to start a FY18/19 ASTB Study Guide Pinned post? With those who have RECENTLY taken the test adding their input? Nothing against our older members who are likely now doing great things as commissioned officers, but if this is the same Navy I serve in today, things change every year, if not quarter. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to compile an updated threat without barking down someone's throat about using the search function.

Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. You want someone to spoon feed you information instead of taking the time like everyone else applying to become an officer. If you browse those threads that were created in July 2002, you will see updated posts and test strategies from over the years. There are people providing tips who took the ASTB days ago providing their tips and guidance. Attention to detail goes far...

Creating a "FY18/19 ASTB Thread" is going to confuse applicants because many will think the ASTB has changed.

The current system works... you just need to take the time to search around... like everyone else.