• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Argentine sub missing off Patagonia

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interestingly if Gerries will offer their help for raising the boat from the bottom. If the fatal blow was linked to a new batteries installed by Siemens AG, as it'd been reported, it is wise for them to take care, I think. While the poor maintenance in ABC navies is not unheard of, this disaster may have relation to new electric technologies that Siemens boasts clear and loud...

If more the knowledgeable commentators in the news are to be believed raising the sub would be very difficult, if not impossible, given the depth, terrain and condition of the boat. Even if it is raised I am not sure given the conditions of what remains investigators would be able to figure out what happened.

While some of the families would likely not accept any official explanation from the government or any authority for that matter, I would be loathe to speculate or otherwise blame any purely technical issues given how starved for funding the Argentine military has been for funding the last 30 or so years and the public maintenance issues the Navy has had the past few years.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If more the knowledgeable commentators in the news are to be believed raising the sub would be very difficult, if not impossible, given the depth, terrain and condition of the boat. Even if it is raised I am not sure given the conditions of what remains investigators would be able to figure out what happened.

While some of the families would likely not accept any official explanation from the government or any authority for that matter, I would be loathe to speculate or otherwise blame any purely technical issues given how starved for funding the Argentine military has been for funding the last 30 or so years and the public maintenance issues the Navy has had the past few years.
Too bad the glomar explorer was sent to the breakers (in China no less).

exNavyOffRec

It might be better to just let it sit as a grave for all those sailors, the location is known, let them rest in peace.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too

That's why the "sub crash" investigations are so difficult and related to uncertainty. All that remains for the crew of ARA Santa Cruz and, possibly, similar 209 Types of different navies is to improve the performance and be much more careful. Not so assuring things from the aviators' standpoint, isn't it?