• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are individual awards getting watered down (ie a NAM for a Det)?

exNavyOffRec

Those weren't Chiefs, they were E-7's . . . big difference.

I would say the same, a good Chief will motivate his people to go above and beyond without being asked, and then he or she would have no problem thinking about a name to give an award. I will say awards and evals were easy to write for my guys and gals because of everything they did.

My guys for the most part (as they told me) would prefer time off to an award, if that is what would make them happy, that is what they got.

OldNavy

When did the NAM become such an easy medal? I hear sailors talking about getting one just for going on det. :confused:

I had one come across my desk when I was A/C Division Chief in VAW-120.
It was submitted by a fellow chief who "successfully completed" a 10 day CQ Det.
His statement to me was "You have to punch your own ticket"
I believe my DIVO dirty-dicked it before he shitcanned it.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Well, shiver me timbers...I went to ask the front office for an awards instruction and was told that "someone will take care of that. No need to submit anything other than your FITREPS." God Bless the retired Master Chief YN running the show. Thanks for the info all. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, shiver me timbers...I went to ask the front office for an awards instruction and was told that "someone will take care of that. No need to submit anything other than your FITREPS." God Bless the retired Master Chief YN running the show. Thanks for the info all. :)
Although that could mean you're getting an end of tour NPLOC. ;)

Renegade One

None
As individuals, most of us don't want awards for what we consider "just doing our job/what I was trained for"
All evidence [much of it posted above] to the contrary. But...
End of Tour Awards: the ultimate in an award for "doing your job". Not sure when/how this started. It is what it is, however. Seems that, in today's construct, if you DON'T get one...that's a slam in your record. So...take care of your people. Seek their recommendations, but worry less about what your Chiefs think...they've already made it to "the show". Your job is to participate actively in the future CPO selection process...whenever and however you can. Don't take that job lightly.
Individual AMs/DFCs: Quota system in effect, I imagine. Not the best way to run a railroad. That's why most of us choose to fly...which is reward enough in itself, if you actually think about it.
MOHs: With absolutely NO disrespect to the heroes that have gone before, very few (if any) of the WWII MOHs awarded to Naval Aviators would have been approved in today's environment. Their environment..and our Navy and nation...were in a different time...which yielded different standards.
Other services' "different standards": You'll never have to compete with any of them for anything. No worries.
Don't get me wrong...awards are at least "significant"...if not important. They can surely be tie-breakers in a hard "third look tank session". Worry more about making sure you're not in the "third look tie group".
As for me, the "hardest medal" I ever earned was my EXPERT Rifle Medal. Had to do it three years in a row to make it permanent, and that "off-hand" from 200 yards was always a ball-buster for me.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MOHs: With absolutely NO disrespect to the heroes that have gone before, very few (if any) of the WWII MOHs awarded to Naval Aviators would have been approved in today's environment. Their environment..and our Navy and nation...were in a different time...which yielded different standards.

Exactly, the environment, media interest (impact of the 'feat' at home), political importance of target etc., all come into play for number/level of awards.

Example: Our Airwing (CVW-14) was involved in a massive interservice coordinated strike on the Hanoi & Haiphong oil storage areas on 29 June '66. Tremendous press interest because these targets had been 'off limits' since the git go. Also unique because of it's size & timing. CVW-15 (CONNIE) Alpha on Do Son POLs, CVW-14 (RANGER) Alpha on Haiphong POLs, & USAF mass gaggle F-105 & F-4s on the Hanoi POLs, timed for simultaneous THUMP!:D

Long story short, tremendous success...major damage to all oil storage areas with only 2 F-105s downed, all Navy birds made it 'bock sheep'. Our strike leader (CAG-14), circled target throughout, directing traffic, comm relay & BDA... Navy Cross, 2 bombing element leaders... SSs, every other participant DFCs. Huge press coverage back home , including a large color photo in Life magazine of a 19-shot 2.75" rocket pod torching off a huge petrol storage tank at Haiphong, from a mopix nose camera on a VA-55 A-4E.

The environment, circumstances & timing make all the difference! (I was orig. briefed & launched as CAGs section leader on this strike launch 4 days earlier, but airborne & rendezvousing, strike CX due poor WX Red River valley. Our 8 A-4s were diverted to RESCAP cover a downed A-6...where I was downed, and another squadronmate took my place on the 29th strike.:(
VA-146 Patch 1968-1987.jpgView attachment 10095
BzB

Attachments

• CVW-14.gif
    CVW-14.gif
    10 KB · Views: 8

Renegade One

None
I hereby make a motion that BusyBee be required to write a book in order to keep his AW account active :) The stories / experiences and the unassuming manner you graciously share them with us "young'uns" is amazing.
I second the motion. Honored to have "one of them" among "the rest of us".

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I second the motion. Honored to have "one of them" among "the rest of us".

Whine, sob...I was hopin', er... thought I was one of y'all?:(:)

BTW, if interested google - haiphong air strike june 29 1966. Lots of interesting info, news articles, press releases & a McNamara press conference regarding the double thump!
BzB

exNavyOffRec

All evidence [much of it posted above] to the contrary. But...
End of Tour Awards: the ultimate in an award for "doing your job". Not sure when/how this started. It is what it is, however. Seems that, in today's construct, if you DON'T get one...that's a slam in your record. So...take care of your people. Seek their recommendations, but worry less about what your Chiefs think...they've already made it to "the show". Your job is to participate actively in the future CPO selection process...whenever and however you can. Don't take that job lightly.

A good Chief would make sure the DIVO didn't have to worry about who is getting or deserves the awards, he would make it happen.

exNavyOffRec

Are you suggesting that he bypass the DivO and write/submit them himself?

I hope not.

Absolutely not, a Chief should know what the DIVO knows and the DIVO should know what the Chief knows, otherwise what happens if something occurs and one or the other doesn't make it in to work for an unplanned reason.