• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are Abbot uniforms worth it?

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
So the Abbot representative is at our ROTC unit, taking measurements and orders. I looked at the uniforms he had with him, and the quality and features are really nice (i.e. better, cooler fabric; thinner choker blouse; nicer, higher quality dress blues coat; "micro-fiber" poly-cottons, etc.). I already own every uniform article I need, but it's all the typical NEX stuff I purchased back during NSI a couple of years back. So my question is this: Should I reinvest in these uniforms? Do the quality/features of the Abbot uniforms justify replacing/supplementing my current uniform wardrobe with them? Can anyone here who owns/wears Abbot stuff chime in?
The "Ensign Kit" is running about $1200, and my commissioning uniform allowance is only $600 (per instruction), so it'll be $600 out of my pocket, but if the stuff is worth it (and I'm starting to think it is), that's not a big deal for me.
TIA.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you've already got uniforms, I wouldn't sweat it. You'll be wearing a flight suit on most days of your life anyway. As far as whites goes... the pants for Abbotts I feel are better, but I think I've worn mine twice in a year (change of command and a dinner-type event). If you're gonna buy an Abbot's uniform, just do it on an individual basis; not the whole Ensign kiti style.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Believe it or not, I still wear my Abbot's SDB I bought out of AOCS (I have let it out a bit ;) ). Back then all the NEX had was crap. No one bought all their uniforms from the NEX. The NEX stuff isn't so bad now. All my other uniforms are NEX now since I have long ago either wore out or grew out of the Abbot's stuff. You might consider just the SDB, and chokers so you have some really fine quality stuff for more formal occasions. The rest of the stuff you will go through fairly quckly and probably just replace with NEX stuff anyway because it is more convienient when you are on the left coast, in Japan or something like that. And if you go the Abbot route, make sure they leave you room to let it out a bit later. That is the only reason I am still in my 25 year old SDB.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
I'd definately recommend getting at least one set of their khakis for whenever you pull duty. Much more comfortable than NEX khakis, which is important when you're standing 12-hour SDO watch.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually don't think Abbots is worth it except for maybe chocker whites and/or the SDB's. I got the khakis a long time ago (and don't fit in htem anymore :eek: ) but I know wear the poly/wool blend from the NEX, still decently comfortable. I was in the Navy 8 years before I had to wear khakis regularly so I really don't think they are worth it. As for the other uniforms, I was disappointed with how my SDB's fit and they never altered them right, even after 3 trips to the store to get them done. Decent quality uniforms though, I am just not sure if they are worth the money.

BTW, the NEX now offers SDB's through Brooks Brothers. One of the other JO's here got them and is pretty happy so far, and tehy look just as sharp as the Abbots ones: http://www.navy-nex.com/command/about_us/premier-uniforms.html

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Thanks for the answers.
So now a more appropriate question comes to mind: How often do you wear each of the uniforms, both during and after flight school? I'd really like to at least get the SDB's, Chokers, and one set of their poly-wool khaki's, but if I'm rarely going to wear them (for the next 1.5yrs, at least), then I probably don't need to get them now. Do you ever wear the tropical whites? I just wanted to cash in on the 10% discount Abbot's offering us right now for the uniforms I'm going to need in the somewhat near future.
Oh, and Flash, apparently Abbot offers free lifetime alterations, so maybe you can get those Abbot khaki's resized.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Dude, I wish I hadn't bought those Abbot's uniforms. The choker white's were the only one's worth having in my opinion. The khakis never fit right despite attempts to tailor them, and the Brooks Brothers SDBs look super sharp. Don't get me started about them hassling me for money before I was even getting paid (despite their assurances otherwise).

To answer your question (about flight school), you'll need some khakis during API, and once in a while during primary. Needed khakis to check in at advanced and the RAG, but other than that never. Had to wear summer whites once (for change of command in Corpus, while on hold awaiting advanced). Wore summer whites when I checked in at API and realized that it was big time overkill, khakis would have sufficed. Haven't worn SDB's or chokers at all since commissioning.

If I had to do it over, I'd get only the choker whites, then pick up the Brook's SDB set just before the next time they were required.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
just finished the rag... Khakis less than a dozen times (with the exception of API), SDB's twice, chokers twice and I have never worn summer whites.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
nfo2b said:
Do you ever wear the tropical whites?

Man, I wish we did, with a pith helmet. That would be sweet... and by sweet, I mean ridiculous.

Back on topic, I got the NEX Brooks Brothers SDBs, and they're pretty sharp! I can't really tell a difference between them and my roommate's Abbott SDBs.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Swmtb said:
Man, I wish we did, with a pith helmet. That would be sweet... and by sweet, I mean ridiculous.

With a Sharps rifle though... oh man that'd rule.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aviators wear that stuff less than SWO's do and I as a SWO, wouldn't buy that stuff because we just don't wear those uniforms that often. Save the cash or buy your wife and kids something nice instead.

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
Really happy w/ my abbott's so far, khaki's have been super comfy and the chokers/SDB are a bit of a step up from the others. All in all it's not a gigantic difference from poly-wools and such that you can get at the NEX, but I'm very pleased with the abbott's unis.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
What everyone else said...

You'll probably want 2 sets of khakis (this is probably what you'll stand watch in). The only reason for two is if you happen to spill a 'wet' burrito from Maui Taco all over yourself, you got a reserve. Everything else is hardly ever worn. I still have ensign stripes on my SDBs for when I got winged. Whites once a year for change of command.

Sabre170

None
I went with Abbotts during OCS mostly because I felt the NEX was out to screw the candidates. I did not like their customer service and just felt that they had a captive market in the OCS candidates and felt that a little competition never hurt.

Don't take it (Abbotts' Price) at face value, make them an offer. Our OCS Classgot a better deal than the one before and after us.