• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for a Naval Commission

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
I am working on my OCS package now with Pilot being my first choice. I am 27 and have 6.5 yrs enlisted service. Is there a specific waiver form I need to add to my package? If so, does anybody have a link to it?

Page 2-14 of the officer application (OPNAV 1420/1) is used to address waivers, age being one of them. There is no formal information that you have to submit. Just put down that you are 27 and would like a waiver to apply for pilot, that’s it. Most ORs are not familiar with the enlisted officer from, so he may tell you something different, which may be for use for civilian applications, so it would not apply to you because you are enlisted (based on your profile).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Page 2-14 of the officer application (OPNAV 1420/1) is used to address waivers, age being one of them. There is no formal information that you have to submit. Just put down that you are 27 and would like a waiver to apply for pilot, that’s it. Most ORs are not familiar with the enlisted officer from, so he may tell you something different, which may be for use for civilian applications, so it would not apply to you because you are enlisted (based on your profile).
Nice to have a resident expert in such matters. AW has become the one stop shop for all your Naval Aviation wannabe needs.

dulutha1c

Any advice appreciated...

To anyone who can offer insight,

I am a 27 year old with a degree in Integrated International Studies and just over a year of service in the MN Air National Guard. I have decided that I want my commission in Intel, active duty, and I want to go Navy. I'm seeking advice on how best to handle this situation...is there perhaps a certain amount of time I should serve enlisted to make it more likely they'd approve my DD360? Would I be better off trying to go active enlisted in the AF then go for a Navy commission? I didn't realize how non-military the ANG was until I came home and was wishing I was still at Tech School. I'm fit, sharp, got good grades in my major and have an apptitude for languages, so I don't forsee too much trouble with the competitive angle, I just wonder if anyone had advice about how best to handle the request for release.

Also, in the event that I can't get approval for a few years for a release, what is the limiting age on applying? I know what I want, now it's just a matter of how long it'll take me to get there.

Thank you!

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I'm fit, sharp, got good grades in my major and have an apptitude for languages, so I don't forsee too much trouble with the competitive angle

My OR had a 4.0 from an Ivy League school who had basically everything you could imagine going for him (athletics, leadership, great ASTB, etc.) not get picked up for Intel. On paper, I was not nearly as qualified, but the board apparently saw something I didn't. There will always be trouble getting picked up for Intel unfortunately, because no one knows for sure what they look for. I'm not saying this to discourage you at all, but to make sure that you're looking at this realistically to avoid possible disappointment. Just put your best package up and hope for the best, but have back-ups. Best of luck!

pensfan341

Two quick questions:

My OR has me doing MEPS and the physical before I have even completed my application. Is this normal?

And does anybody know what officer communities I am eligible because I only took the OAR section of the ASBT

PJ81

FS SNA
Two quick questions:

My OR has me doing MEPS and the physical before I have even completed my application. Is this normal?

Every NRD seems to have their own policy on this. At my NRD (L.A.), you do your MEPS and such before your app is done, so yes, it's quite normal.

pilot811

Fly High!
Haven't seen it on the threads yet but does anyone know if you apply for BDCP does it get put in the same pile as OCS applications? What I mean is if I apply for BDCP, will I be competing with applicants just going for OCS?

Kevin

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't seen it on the threads yet but does anyone know if you apply for BDCP does it get put in the same pile as OCS applications? What I mean is if I apply for BDCP, will I be competing with applicants just going for OCS?

Kevin

Not directly, but there is a indirect relationship. OCS is Navy's easiest spigot to manage input to commissioned ranks. USNA and ROTC quotas produce a "product" years down the road whereas STA-21 and then BDCP "products" emerge in a little less time so after the powers that be look at projected end strength in near term, direct input OCS quotas are determined. If force is downsizing, then OCS quotas almost evaporate because the servive has "products" emerging in large numbers every year as summer begins.

pilot811

Fly High!
Not directly, but there is a indirect relationship. OCS is Navy's easiest spigot to manage input to commissioned ranks. USNA and ROTC quotas produce a "product" years down the road whereas STA-21 and then BDCP "products" emerge in a little less time so after the powers that be look at projected end strength in near term, direct input OCS quotas are determined. If force is downsizing, then OCS quotas almost evaporate because the servive has "products" emerging in large numbers every year as summer begins.

Ok, I get it. Thanks for the info joe.

Kevin

Kanjelman7

Hi! I am new to this site and this is my first post. First I want to say thank you to fccpopeye for making this thread and also to the other members of this forum for contributing helpful information.

Some details about me:
I am a 23 year old student finishing up my last quarter of college (2 more classes) and will be finishing this December. I am a General Biology major. Last time I checked my academic history my GPA was around 3.7. I've been a student worker for San Diego County (Dept. of Child Support Services) since June '08. I know my current job is not related to my field of study and I never had such a job (i.e. lab work/research).

my motivations for wanting to join
:
My father is a retired first class petty officer (E6) after putting 20 years in the Navy. This means I've been a military dependent for practically all of my life and I am infinitely thankful for the comforts and privileges it has granted me (e.g. Commissary, Navy Exchange, Cal-Vets for college tuition, etc.). Basically, I want to give back to the military by going into service and I also want the honor of serving my country.
I never knew about the BDCP until I lurked/scoured this site so it looks like my only option is the OCS. The thing though is that my work is giving me a 3 month grace period to continue working for them before I get terminated (since I will no longer be a student at that time).
I haven’t talked to an officer recruiter yet, but I was thinking about contacting one after I get fired. Would it be too late then? I was hoping to use the time from now until then to improve my fitness, study for the ASTB (which I just learned about now), and basically just keep researching/reading about the commissioning process.

Some questions for now:
1) What exactly is a package? Is that basically the ADDOCS and FINDOCS combined?
2) How does one exactly go about "assembling" this package? I've read all the posts in this thread and I saw that it takes about a month to complete?
3) I’m oblivious to what types of fields exist for naval officers. From this thread, I’ve gathered that there is supplies, intel, aviation, nuclear, etc. I’m not interested in aviation but I read that I should still take the ASTB since certain portions of it are considered. Right now, my mindset is to become a U.S. Naval Officer but I never considered what fields I should be looking into. Anyone with a similar background who can offer some insight? Is there a more comprehensive link that I can be referred to?
4) How does one go about obtaining LORs? From what I read so far, knowing someone in the Navy who is in a field you are interested in applying to would be a good candidate. The only "viable" person I know is my college counselor who is a retired Commander (I believe) but I don't recall his field of duty.

Again, I want to thank this forum community for all the helpful information it provides!

robyd82

question on new 5 page app for ocs

All:
I am applying for Navy OCS and my recruiter has given me a knew, 5 page application that they are now using instead of the older, lengthier one she mistakenly gave me at first. On this new application there are questions about alcohol/drug use (none) but no questions on general criminal violations (speeding tickets, etc.); on the old app there were questions on these sorts of things. My recruiter is now telling me to put down speeding tickets etc. on this new form although they are not explicitly asked for, and to put them in the "general comments" section, in reference to the section on alcohol/drugs. 1) This doesn't make any sense. 2) She has been wrong so so so many times on so many things and has held my application up for months because of her utter incompetence. Does anyone now whether or not this new 5 page app requires all legal violations? I'd rather not put them down (minor stuff) if they are not required, it doesn't make me look good and could get my app rejected. It really doesn't make me look good if it is not an appropriate answer (which its not) to a question on alcohol/drugs.

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
Hello, Just to clarify things, Is a Bachelors of Applied Science degree acceptable towards getting a commission in any of the services ??? I am currently enrolled in Aviation Science program which is a 2-year AAS degree and this would transfer over to OIT (Oregon Tech) university for a BAS degree.

-Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

Hello, Just to clarify things, Is a Bachelors of Applied Science degree acceptable towards getting a commission in any of the services ??? I am currently enrolled in Aviation Science program which is a 2-year AAS degree and this would transfer over to OIT (Oregon Tech) university for a BAS degree.

-Thanks!

I can tell you on the USN side any 4 year degree from an accredited institution will allow you to apply.

ASTB is number one when going for PILOT or NFO and GPA is number two.

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
Okay, thanks.... It's all about ASTB huh...
I'm wondering if flying in GA community would make military flight schools 5.1% easier :) or has anyone on this website ever flew with GA ratings up to CFI before entering Service Flight schools:rolleyes: