• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for a Naval Commission

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have started the paperwork for a commission in Intel. My recruiter was dead on honest and told me I had a marginally poor to severly minimal chance to get one. I am wondering what ations stands out in the realm of the Boards selection process for a civilian? I will be taking the ASTB in the next few weeks, look forward to doing well on it, and have some good recommendations from Naval officers I work with. I have held a few leadership positions, can pass a Federal Background/Security clearance and am really wanting to get this done.. Now, the cons...I have no prior military service, and am in a civilian sector (aviation) that probably has little bearing on my chosen path. I have an associates as well as a bachelors, am in good shape, and under the age deadline by 3 years... Now that I have stacked the odds against myself, aside from my never quit mentality, what do you folks recommend that I do to increase my odds and serve a country that has served so many others??? Thanks again for your service and time....

Most recruiters have a pretty good idea what will fly (no pun intented). At least you have a healthy attitude about your chances. Best bet for you is to really rock the ASTB and write a very good personal motivation statement. Everything else about your app is already in stone. Good luck.

jodyford

All/Senior Chief,
I'm submitting a DCO package soon. Thank you for the great information. I want to be a 1635 (Reserve Intelligence Officer). I'm sure recruiters here this all the time. But, I have; ten years of experience as a contractor working on intelligence systems, an undergraduate degree in International Studies, LOR from my JIC Commander, Deputy Commander, and Division Chief (DAFC), and needless to day, I already have my TS/SCI. I'm also a graduate student in Political Science (4.0). The only hit I have against me is that I'm 37 and I broke my leg twice in the past during Navy Basic and AF OCS - discharged both times. What do you think?

/regards

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All/Senior Chief,
I'm submitting a DCO package soon. Thank you for the great information. I want to be a 1635 (Reserve Intelligence Officer). I'm sure recruiters here this all the time. But, I have; ten years of experience as a contractor working on intelligence systems, an undergraduate degree in International Studies, LOR from my JIC Commander, Deputy Commander, and Division Chief (DAFC), and needless to day, I already have my TS/SCI. I'm also a graduate student in Political Science (4.0). The only hit I have against me is that I'm 37 and I broke my leg twice in the past during Navy Basic and AF OCS - discharged both times. What do you think?

/regards

Age should not be a huge deal given you are applying for a SELRES job and you have good civilian work in the field. The medical thing might be an issue, especially since it happened during m9ilitary physical training. The devil will be in the details. Standby for an ortho consult from your doc to convince the MEPS docs you are good to go. Good luck.

CS3bitz

Senior,

Usually how long do you have to wait until a final decision. I submitted my package on April 15th of 2007.

I am hoping to get in the Supply Corps.

red1323

My recruiter was dead on honest and told me I had a marginally poor to severly minimal chance to get one.

Good advice above, I would like to add DON'T DELAY!!! My recruiter told me the same thing...I took it way too much to heart and didn't submit my application for over a year. I kick myself often for missing out on a years worth of pay. Worst case scenario you don't get selected and you try again. Just put your best foot forward and do the best you can on all the tests. Good Luck!

ryanber

Red1323, what route DID you take if you didn't do BDCP? I am in kind-of the same position. I am getting eye surgery and my 6-month wait/recovery period will be up around February, which is way too late, because I am graduating in May. So, I can't do BDCP. I now have to take another route to get OCS/SNA.

schwarti

Contributor
Ryanber, you can just apply for OCS after you get your degree - that's what I'm doing. I didn't even know that BDCP existed when I was in school, and we didn't have any kind of ROTC.

htj

Final Select SNA -- January 5 OCS
Commissioning Loan

Just out of curiosity, if I am going to OCS in the fall with no prior ROTC/Enlisted service am I eligible for a low-interest USAA loan?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Just out of curiosity, if I am going to OCS in the fall with no prior ROTC/Enlisted service am I eligible for a low-interest USAA loan?
I know you will be, but I'm not sure if being a non-BDCP person qualifies for the loan prior to OCS. You may have to wait after OCS.

fccpopeye

Red1323, what route DID you take if you didn't do BDCP? I am in kind-of the same position. I am getting eye surgery and my 6-month wait/recovery period will be up around February, which is way too late, because I am graduating in May. So, I can't do BDCP. I now have to take another route to get OCS/SNA.

You can apply for any program when you are within 12 months of graduation without BDCP. Also, I am pretty sure the required healing time after eye surgery is 3 months.

fccpopeye

Senior,

Usually how long do you have to wait until a final decision. I submitted my package on April 15th of 2007.

I am hoping to get in the Supply Corps.

Have you heard if you were on the May board? Or the June board? Once boarded you will be ProRec'd yes or no. If yes then you will need to get a physical and do the PFT. Once done, submitted and reviewed, if no problems then your name will be forwarded up for final selection approval. Once boarded and ProRec'd yes, It can still be a month or more to finish up.

To all....

For some reason I haven't been receiving notification of additions to this thread (until today) so my apologies to anyone that I haven't answered. Please PM me if you have a question that I haven't answered on the board so I can address it. On the same note, continue to ask your questions on the boards so all can see and learn.

Thanks,
FCCSPopeye

Reactions: Tom

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You can apply for any program when you are within 12 months of graduation without BDCP. Also, I am pretty sure the required healing time after eye surgery is 3 months.
I know a BDCP guy who waited 3 months.

RedDog

Great post! I have had coworkers ask questions concerning thier kids. Up until a few months ago, I had a couple of officers, one USMCR F-18 pilot and a veteran SWO, that I could refer them to. They have both recently moved on. I would like to link this to my site and be able to access it for future reference. Thanks.

red1323

I did NUPOC, only applicable if you are a HUGE nerd and wanna go SWO or Sub Nuke :) Schwarti is right, you can just go for OCS after graduation; I would talk with your nearest officer recruiter ASAP, they will be able to give you an idea of what programs you can apply for and when, as long as you will be recovered by the time you graduate you may be able to submit an app while you are in the recovery process(?) Good luck to you!

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I finally got my packet together and submitted it for BDCP mid senior year in college. My Recruiter didnt hear anything back and resubmitted it for straight entry into OCS. I believe I made the June Boards. He got a notice from someone and he then told me I had to send in a current transcript showing proof of my graduation and said that is a good sign, meaning my packet had a good review. Anyone hear of this or think the same (it being a good sign)? Im slowly starting to go nuts....