• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API vs. Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiderunner

What's the comparison academic and intensity wise between Primary and API? I've heard ground school was much harder than API, and how much class room time is spent when you actually start flying?

Dylan Porter

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The intensity of Primary is more of direct application. The material you are learning are building blocks that you are going to use throughout your Naval career as a pilot. Introduction to NATOPs (the systems and procedures book on the aircraft you are going to fly), systems, weather, FRR and the rest. Each phase of training, or when you get to fly a new aircraft will send you through another ground school where you get to go over each aircraft's systems. For example, on my road to flying the P3, I went through ground school in Primary for the T34, then in Advanced I went through ground school for the T44, and finally at the FRS, ground school for the P3. Each in its way was more challenging than the previous. But the familiarty with NATOPs and studying techniques I had developed along the way prepared me.

Throughout Primary you will have different tests, and periods of ground school instruction. When you go to Intermediate, they had a week long Instrument Ground School (though it has been a long time since I was there, and this may have changed).

The main thing is, is that the material you are learning is NOT memorize and dump. You HAVE to take it with you, whether it is a procedure (Flop, chop, check, drop or Turn, Climb, Clean, Check, Determine, Deliver) in the T34 or the appropiate systems knowledge to go along with it. There are boundless acronyms and assorted gouge out there to help you, plus talking to your peers. You will study the material in ground school, if you are smart you will go to a static display plane and pracap it, and then of course you will get tested on it in groundschool. From there, during CBTs and then on the flights, you will be quizzed on your knowledge in the briefs before each event, god help you if are not prepared. Then the most challenging part, remembering everything in the plane, whether it is getting from point A to point B for course rules, proper freqs to talk on the radio, of course WHAT TO SAY on the radio and in the correct format, implementing a procedure correctly whether it is the level speed change or power off stall (was that power setting 300 or 400?!?!?), and of course the random questions that the IP may through your way while flying to see if you remember your stuff and how task saturated you are.

So, as you can see, Primary is a much bigger step up in "intensity" than API... I am sure others have differing views.

wobble

I just finished Primary and Intermediates and I concur with Webmaster's comments.

Gig'em and have a Great Day

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
200 for the POS in the T34. Simulates feathered prop and clean with an engine failure (for those not quite in the know yet).

s_aslam

So is this accurate for those with SNA slots?:

- OCS (13 weeks, hopefully);
- IFS (length of time? - to be completed while in waiting pool for API of no PPL);
- API (6 weeks);
- Primary (length of time?);
- Advanced (length of time?)
- FRS (length of time? - what does this stand for anyway?)

Stephanie

GO NAVY!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FRS - Fleet Replacement Squadron

And the timelines on Intermediate and Advanced all depend on what platform we are talking about. Prop and helo bubbas take around 2 years to get through API and the FRS. Jet community takes about 6 months or so longer.

Of course, that is factoring in that you aren't unduly delayed anywhere in the program.

Jboomer, umm, thanks for the power setting, not like I will use it anytime in the near future! lol Scares me that I still remember the acronyms for those procedures....

s_aslam

Would they go to Intermediate after Primary but before Advanced? Or is this also dependant to a specific platform?

Stephanie

GO NAVY!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you are props or helos you stay at your Primary VT squadron for Intermediate training, which doesn't last that long, roughly a month. It all depends on how long it takes to knock out your flights. For me, I did most of them on my cross country. Think Intermediate lasted 3 weeks, including the week long ground school.

Jets are a different matter, and they leave after Primary to go to either Kingsville or Meridian for their training.

jrklr

keep in mind that at FRS you're already a winged aviator. Some consider "flight school" to be only through advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.