• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Apartments in San Diego

elliottm2

Good morning ladies, good morning gentleman.

I am a soon to be ensign who will be stationed in San Diego. I am searching for apartments and was wondering if anyone who has lived there I'm the military had any recommendations for housing off base. I am single without any children if that is relevant. At square one and would be really appreciative of any advice and gouge I can find. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Matthew G. Elliott

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
PenguinGuy and I lived in the apartments at Archstone Mission Valley. The apartments are newer (<10 years old) and in good shape. Maintenance does a great job of taking care of items. Rent is a bit on the high side, it was most of the BAH for a 2bed/2bath. Utilities were very reasonable, water was an averaged amount that was added to the rent each month. That is, the only water meter was the one serving the complex. So, if the complex used $1000 worth of water and there were 100 tenants, each tenant paid $10 regardless if they used $20 or $2 worth of water. If you have autopayments set up it isn't a big deal. I don't think our water bill was ever higher than $30.

It is a gated complex that actually locks the gates when they say they will. There is a pool and a small but decent fitness center. The fitness center is 24 hours but the pool is not.

This complex is situated directly across the street from Ikea. I mean, DIRECTLY. This has several bonuses: 1. you are on the same block as a starbucks, coldstone creamery, Costco, pizza/beer joint, and lots of other little restaurants/shops. Not to mention being able to walk to Ikea when you are craving swedish meatballs. Between the complex and Ikea is a branch of the San Diego library for when you want to enrich yourself. Looking to party? The trolley has a stop right at the complex. From there you can get into downtown in minutes and not have to worry about driving back drunk. You are also just blocks away from all sorts of shopping/Mission Valley mall. There are restaurants, stores, and banks in the area. (USAA is in the plaza with Ikea.) Nightlife is a short hop on the trolley to downtown.

Speaking of driving, it is located right off of Friars Road. That means you are almost equidistant from 15 (about 2 miles down the road) and 163. It is a smidgen harder to get on 805 but not bad. 8 is practically in your backyard save for the 'river'. PenguinGuy was stationed at 32nd street and he said the commute with traffic was not bad until the main gate. Not sure how it is for other bases such as NI. It is a very reasonable commute to Miramar though. I worked just north of Miramar and we chose the location because it was almost equidistant between the two bases.

The driving does highlight one big negative to this place: stadium events. You are only about 1 mild down the road from teh Charger's stadium. That means on game days and any other really big event the traffic is pretty miserable on Friar's road. My husband and I would hurry home from church on Sunday's and just plan on not going anywhere in the car until well after the game was over. This is a bonus though if you like football you can tailgate/pre-game at home and walk to the stadium.

Outside of Archstone Mission Valley, there are several really nice apartment complexes right there. I don't remember their names, but if you just google for places along Friars Road you should be able to find them. We had friends in several of them and they all appeared to be very nice.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have. We just move from there about a year ago (wow, I can't believe it has been a year already!) and would move back to that complex if we still don't have kids by the next time PenguinGuy gets orders there. I hope this helped!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe Archstone is now called Del Rio. It was called something different back in 2001 when I lived there. Apparently the company keeps changing the name.

If you're looking in the Mission Valley area (which I did both times living here), as a single Ensign, I'd also look at La Mirage. I don't know how their rent is, but it is a target rich environment.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I believe Archstone is now called Del Rio. It was called something different back in 2001 when I lived there. Apparently the company keeps changing the name.

I am not surprised. It would seriously help business if they could just pick a name and stick with it. (So says the woman who is working for a company on its 4th name in 8 years.) You are absolutely correct in that they are now called Del Rio. Just an FYI, the same company that runs Del Rio also runs La Mirage. The Irvine Company changed the name (bought out?) Archstone right around the time we were moving out.

Speaking of moving out, I am not sure if they still do it, but they had an AWESOME deal where you could pay a small amount, I think around $50, and they would get a professional company to do the move out cleaning. It was well worth the nominal amount to not have to worry about cleaning the carpets and other hardcore cleaning that usually goes into the final one. I highly recommend this service if they still offer it!

I will also second La Mirage based on visiting friends there. It is one of the complexes to which I was referring. Only down side to it is that in order to get to the plaza with Ikea and the trolley stop, etc, you have to cross Friars Rd. This is not a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but just something to consider.

Also, please excuse the terrible typos in my post above. I was writing it while making breakfast for PenguinGuy and I had not yet had any coffee. Coffee helps me proofread. :p

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If you're looking in the Mission Valley area (which I did both times living here), as a single Ensign, I'd also look at La Mirage. I don't know how their rent is, but it is a target rich environment.
I'll second (or third) La Mirage. Two words: Travel Nurses. I had a great time living there and it's tough to beat in terms of freeway and surface road access. It's also a bit out of the main Mission Valley/Friars Road fray, which can get a bit much in terms of traffic. I'm not sure how much anyone would use the trolley, and I certainly wouldn't use that as a principle criterion for choosing where to live, but Mission SD station is within walking distance. You can trolley to Gas Lamp for a night out, or a ball game, but after all the hassle of waiting and transfering, a cab is worth the $.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PB is more of a hassle once the novelty of living near the beach wears off. More crime, more traffic, more tourists. Great place to party, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Ralph

If you like douche bags and skanky girls pb is for you. Rush Hour traffic is horrible as well.