• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone have the official navy male prt standards? + How to schedule a PRT?

cgoetz

FYI I started the forum. I appreciate your honesty with me I realized that unless I got myself on some sort of plan and into a regular routine I wass never going to get to where I needed. Also I realize I don't need the PRT for the ASTB and I'm not planning to take them around the same time, but I am hoping to take it a few weeks after the test because I just wanna get it out of the way, and also I need to apply for waivers and my recruiter said he wouldn't even consider doing the paperwork on that until I did the test and PRT first. So you see why I'm so interested in getting these things outta the way.

BullGator

I just called my officer recruiter and it was not a problem to rescedule it; it will be the last part of my package. This is awesome and a relief. Now I can stop worrying/whining and bust my butt into shape for 2-4 weeks.
Thanks guys. GL cgoet.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Hey Man, I would suggest being at 85/65/11:00 whe you go to OCS. You will be dead ass tired on the Tuesday you do PT, plus in "not optimal" conditions (ie people yelling, bad food, early am, shitty pt gear) so that will give some room for the expected sag in perormance. I went in as a prior AW2, my spring PRT was 75/50/9:24 and when I took the in PRT at OCS I was at 65/42/10:32 needless to say a bit of a sag. I did have a little "DI help" with my numbers (I'm 6'3", skinny as hell, breaking the 90 is a long way down for me) but most guys attrited for Pushups or the run. If it was pushups, it was an easy fix for H-Class, the run guys had a little more trouble getting up to speed (pun fully intended)

You should have plenty of time between putting in yer package, having a board, getting (hopefully) accepted, and shipping out.

Oh, and as a testament to the DI's I was at 101/82/9:14 on the out...you WILL get in shape.
Cheers

nugget61

pilot

To give you all an idea of where I am at:
1.) I can do 35 pushups with no rest, and about < 10 more with a little rest (still under 2 minutes).
2.) I can get about 35+ situps in about 1 minute, then rest 20 seconds and get 15 or so more after that (under 2 minutes).
3.) I can run a mile in 8 minutes, but am pretty dead tired after that, and usually need to walk. I think having the advantage of running with someone will really give me that extra motivation to finish the 1.5mile in under 12 minutes.

This link will show you the proper form for each exercise: http://www.navy-prt.com/video.html

When I read that you were resting, wanted to make sure that you were resting in the correct position ( you still have to fully support yourself while resting ).

BullGator

Thank you gentlemen.
Picklesuit, I appreciate the OCS advice and testimonial; always motivating to hear from someone who did it and is not opposed to going out of his way to give help.

Nugget, those videos are great. Very helpfull and I didn't know about the resting positions, but incidently I did rest in the upright position just for my own benefit (cool to know none-the-less). I've looked all over and never seen the video type info.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Thank you. Yes I am applying to the Navy. My problem is that this Tuesday is the only time that he can do it before my ASTB on the 21st. It is also nice to be able to take it with someone else. If I don't take it Tuesday the 12th, I will have to send my package in a month (+) later (even though someone mentioned that they turned in their packet without the PRT info; my officer recruiter told me it's needed with the packet).

My dad (naval aviator) told me the "don't show weakness" deal. He says be confident like Mohamad Ali (for any test, ASTB or PRT). My uncle (marine) also said something similar a couple times.

So, if I happen to choke and do bad on my PRT and don't get a passing checkmark, will that look bad even if I show huge improvements through my next PRT and then my OCS PRT (or will my first "bad" PRT just be neglected to be noticed after showing improvements)?

Man, I must sound like a wuse, but I'm genuinely concerned. I have 3 more days of exercise and 1 day of rest before my PRT. Also, if I am going to be cancelling my Tues PRT I will need to ASAP.
To give you all an idea of where I am at:
1.) I can do 35 pushups with no rest, and about < 10 more with a little rest (still under 2 minutes).
2.) I can get about 35+ situps in about 1 minute, then rest 20 seconds and get 15 or so more after that (under 2 minutes).
3.) I can run a mile in 8 minutes, but am pretty dead tired after that, and usually need to walk. I think having the advantage of running with someone will really give me that extra motivation to finish the 1.5mile in under 12 minutes.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Is there a standard order for doing these tests (eg 1st run 1.5miles, 2nd pushups, then last situps...)?

Sounds like you should rename yourself something OTHER than "allyoucaneat". Could it be the buffet line might be making it tough to nail that PRT??????????

BullGator

I think so Wannagofast. The north-central FL buffets are extrodinary. The catfish and chicken, umm'. I do eat a hell of a lot on a daily basis. I am at 200lbs (probably 15-20lbs over weight), but I should be about 250+ the way I eat. And I swear I am addicted to pepsi/coke...but I digress.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
...I realize I don't need the PRT for the ASTB and I'm not planning to take them around the same time, but I am hoping to take it a few weeks after the test because I just wanna get it out of the way...

Wrong attitude. This approach will only get you into the habit of playing catch-up every PRT cycle. You need to embrace a culture of fitness. That means getting off your a$$ and setting some short and long range goals and achieving them.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I think so Wannagofast. The north-central FL buffets are extrodinary. The catfish and chicken, umm'. I do eat a hell of a lot on a daily basis. I am at 200lbs (probably 15-20lbs over weight), but I should be about 250+ the way I eat. And I swear I am addicted to pepsi/coke...but I digress.

Rant Alert.

The Navy should not be viewed as your personal weight loss plan. You need to show up in shape, ready to train. Otherwise you become a drain on the system and will spend lots of effort trying to keep up, rather than excelling. It saddens me that we are having to expend so much energy in all our accession programs getting people in shape (i.e. meet standards) rather than focusing on exceeding standards.

At least help the cause by switching to diet coke / diet pepsi.

End of Rant.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
If you can run a mile in 8 minutes. Thats pretty good man because if you walked the last half mile you'd probably still come in with a pretty good time.

I'm no math whiz, but from a common sense approach, how do you figure running one mile in 8 minutes, and then walking (i.e. slower) the next half mile will give you a "pretty good time"? If you ran the entire 1.5 at your "pretty good" (which it is not) pace, you'd end up at 12 minutes, which is not a "pretty good time." That's a failed strategy.

Your PRT may not be your only problem; you might want to do some reasoning and logic exercises as well.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but if you're a candidate, you need to be stepping it up rather than embracing a "get-by" philosophy.

BullGator

Rant Alert.

The Navy should not be viewed as your personal weight loss plan. You need to show up in shape, ready to train. Otherwise you become a drain on the system and will spend lots of effort trying to keep up, rather than excelling. It saddens me that we are having to expend so much energy in all our accession programs getting people in shape (i.e. meet standards) rather than focusing on exceeding standards.

At least help the cause by switching to diet coke / diet pepsi.

End of Rant.

I don't know where you learned to "read between the lines", but I mentioned nothing about "using the Navy as a weight loss plan." That is just so absurdly wrong that I won't even address it any further.

I appreciate the helpful thoughts on switching to diet coke, but I am trying to pretty much cut the regular/diet coke out of the daily routine (switch to water and Gatoraid, maybe even take up coffee, but mostly water).

If you cannot do well on the PRT, IMO you do not need to apply for OCS. It is so easy. The curl ups are a joke. Imagine if you had to do full situps like in the Army. 12 minutes for 1.5 miles is horrible, absolutely horrible. I bet 50 year old generals run faster than that.

asa66

The Navy has gone overboard re. PRT

In naval air you need "burst" energy and speed. I never had to run 2 miles or do situps, ever, in the line of duty. I needed burst power to offload and reload 110 sonobouys aboard a P-3 in 10 minutes or to run back and forth from the tube in a 60 degree angle bank at 2Gs. I needed to be able to carry 45 pounds of flight gear and mission bags 1/4 mile across the ramp in 120 degree in Vietnam heat and back again. I needed to be able to run in flight gear back to the ASWOC and then back to the plane when the mission changed 20 minutes before launch.

In AOCS we were "PTed into the dirt" and it was very tough. But today's plan of PRT does not make sense to me. If the Navy is leaning hard on PRT scores for decising who will get into OCS, I think it's misguided.

Just my 2 cents.

retired nfo

Goob83 will tell you, "Good Low or you don't go!"