• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone have the official navy male prt standards? + How to schedule a PRT?

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
That's the great thing about push ups and sit ups. You can do them any time, anywhere. During commercial breaks. Cooking breakfast/dinner. Between posts on AW :D

cgoetz

Yeah I like TV its always been there for me. SAD I KNOW. I think the biggest challenge for me is the running. But I've been pretty much been hitting almost everyday. I mean you know I'm committed when I'm getting up at 6 AM on my summer break. But the sacrafice is worth it.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah I like TV its always been there for me. SAD I KNOW. I think the biggest challenge for me is the running. But I've been pretty much been hitting almost everyday. I mean you know I'm committed when I'm getting up at 6 AM on my summer break. But the sacrafice is worth it.

Also, make sure you are being SMART about your PT. Running every day isn't necessarily a good idea....especially if you aren't in shape in the first place. Search around online for workouts, I believe there are some in this forum as well. Make sure you don't injure yourself in the process.

Lobster

Also, make sure you are being SMART about your PT. Running every day isn't necessarily a good idea....especially if you aren't in shape in the first place. Search around online for workouts, I believe there are some in this forum as well. Make sure you don't injure yourself in the process.

NozeMan makes a good point you don't want to burn yourself out. Be smart about it you're body is an amazing machine but only if you keep it running properly and don't overuse and abuse it. And if you need motivation running just watch a few of the new New Balance running ads on youtube they'll get you going

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Oh god... Waking up early is SUCH a sacrifice. I don't know how you do it.

BullGator

PRT Question

I am scheduled to take the PRT on Tues the 12th (5 days).

I have been hearing "don't let your OSO know that you are skeptical about your abilities...", and I don't want to. I am also realistic and know I haven't done any true cardio exercises in about 8 years, minus starting 2+ weeks ago. I am 6'2'' 200lbs.

The advantage is that I get to run (my biggest challenge of the three events) with someone, which should definitely help. My package is due on the 22nd because my recruiting officer is leaving (for about a month) after that. I wanted to make the September boards.

My question is: Is there a limit on the amount on times you can take the PRT? Also, Is it better to take it and barely pass so I can get my package out, or is it better to take it and do real well, sending the package out a month later?
Basically, should I take the PRT and risk having a bad score on my perminant record? Or just delay it until I am actually somewhat fit?

Sorry for all the repeated question types, but ANY advise or answers would be taken with extreme sincerity and appreciation.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My question is: Is there a limit on the amount on times you can take the PRT?
Not for the Navy. Dunno how the Marines work.

I have been hearing "don't let your OSO know that you are skeptical about your abilities...",
From who? If you think you need extra time for the PRT, let your recruiter know.

Also, Is it better to take it and barely pass so I can get my package out, or is it better to take it and do real well, sending the package out a month later?
For the Navy, the PRT is just a checkmark. You either pass or fail. For the USMC it matters.

BullGator

Not for the Navy. Dunno how the Marines work.

From who? If you think you need extra time for the PRT, let your recruiter know.

For the Navy, the PRT is just a checkmark. You either pass or fail. For the USMC it matters.

Thank you. Yes I am applying to the Navy. My problem is that this Tuesday is the only time that he can do it before my ASTB on the 21st. It is also nice to be able to take it with someone else. If I don't take it Tuesday the 12th, I will have to send my package in a month (+) later (even though someone mentioned that they turned in their packet without the PRT info; my officer recruiter told me it's needed with the packet).

My dad (naval aviator) told me the "don't show weakness" deal. He says be confident like Mohamad Ali (for any test, ASTB or PRT). My uncle (marine) also said something similar a couple times.

So, if I happen to choke and do bad on my PRT and don't get a passing checkmark, will that look bad even if I show huge improvements through my next PRT and then my OCS PRT (or will my first "bad" PRT just be neglected to be noticed after showing improvements)?

Man, I must sound like a wuse, but I'm genuinely concerned. I have 3 more days of exercise and 1 day of rest before my PRT. Also, if I am going to be cancelling my Tues PRT I will need to ASAP.
To give you all an idea of where I am at:
1.) I can do 35 pushups with no rest, and about < 10 more with a little rest (still under 2 minutes).
2.) I can get about 35+ situps in about 1 minute, then rest 20 seconds and get 15 or so more after that (under 2 minutes).
3.) I can run a mile in 8 minutes, but am pretty dead tired after that, and usually need to walk. I think having the advantage of running with someone will really give me that extra motivation to finish the 1.5mile in under 12 minutes.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Is there a standard order for doing these tests (eg 1st run 1.5miles, 2nd pushups, then last situps...)?

cgoetz

I've heard from somebody on this forum that unless you get at least a good low on your prt you won't get accepted. I don't know if its true I'm just telling you what I heard.

BullGator

I've hard from somebody on this forum that unless you get at least a good low on your prt you won't get accepted. I don't know if its true I'm just telling you what I heard.
Even if you improve alot the next PRT? Oh boy. I hope your messing with me... Does anyone else know of anything like this? Has anyone failed the first time and prevailed to OCS (albiet in MUCH better shape by then)?

cgoetz

If you can run a mile in 8 minutes. Thats pretty good man because if you walked the last half mile you'd probably still come in with a pretty good time. As far as the pushups and sit ups those sound like they need work. I'm in the same boat as you are. I cand do about 40 pushups in 2mins and thats if I really push myself, as for situps I have timed myself and I cand do around 60. My real challenge seems to be the running. I have gotten a couple of workout plans from one of the sites mentioned here and I have also joined my local Y and I'm cofident I can pull it off. So my advice would be if you don't feel comfortable just reschedule and whatever you don't give up.

cgoetz

First of all dude CALM DOWN! You getting yourself way to worked up about this. First of all someone earlier in thread said if you fail the PRT you can always take it again. If you feel that concerned about it just reschedule the thin. But above everything just relax.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There is a difference between "showing weakness" and being honest with your current capabilities.

With the numbers you cited, you can't pass the PRT right now with a 'good low' (unless you are older). There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that, and then working diligently to improve your fitness until you are capable of passing.

Weakness would be saying to yourself "well, I can't cut it, so I might as well just quit" or "I feel a little sore today, so I don't think I'm going to work out."

So, as I posted to the other person who started this thread: get off the internet and start PTing. Now.

Even if you improve alot the next PRT? Oh boy. I hope your messing with me... Does anyone else know of anything like this? Has anyone failed the first time and prevailed to OCS (albiet in MUCH better shape by then)?
I failed the run two weeks before leaving, then went on a psycho run program and passed it the next week. I had another week of said psycho run program (which is posted in the PRT section, btw) before leaving and didn't have any trouble on the in-pfa. I don't recommend showing up at the minimum for the run, but if you have the mental toughness to keep going when you feel dead tired you can get through OCS.

FWIW, you don't need the PRT to take the ASTB.

BullGator

I am 25 years old(, today! AUG 8th 1983).
I think the standards are less after 24yo?

Thanks for you personal info; that is a large relief Spekkio.
I mentioned the ASTB because my OSO is leaving town for about a month on the 22nd (one day after I take my ASTB). I know they aren't related. On another note, I had a poor GPA (2.91 at UF/zoology) and am really gonna ace the ASTB, and my OSO told me I really need to get above the minimum standards to have a strong packet (<12min 1.5mile; >47 pushups; >58 situps).

I think I will call my OSO and tell him I need to reschedule a month later, but if necessary I will be happy to take the PRT as scheduled to gauge my progress and shoot for a passing score.
Let me know what you think. And thanks again for the input.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
http://www.navy-prt.com/malestandard.html

google is your friend. You need a minimum of good low in all catagories to be sent to OCS. Once at OCS, you will need to get a minimum of satisfactory medium in all catagories on the in-pfa to stay with your class. Form is paramount, because DIs will deduct reps for improper form. The order the PFA is conducted is sit/reach, curl ups, push ups, run. Ignore the swim.