• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any stigma attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bully

Steve(or anybody else),
Honestly, is there a stigma attached to (non-aviator) graduates of OCS in the Fleet?
As you know, I'm interested in being an SWO just as much as an Aviator. I'm still not sure in what order I'll list them on my application, but I'll be overjoyed to get either one. I know that alot of aviators come from OCS so it doesn't seem to be a big deal for them, but what about SWO's...is it a big hinderence to one's career to have gone to OCS? Are you a second class citizen? Also, I know it's normal for aviators to be a little older when they start their careers(i.e. 24 or so), but, again, is it a big disadvantage to be a 24 year old ensign in the Surface community?
Also, my recruiter keeps yapping about Supply Officer. What exactly do they do, and do I want any part of it?
Thanks,
Bully

Edited by - Bully on 6 July 2000

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bully,
As much as we might like to joke about SWOs or even Bubbleheads, that is all just community rivalry. You will not be at a disadvantage in any shape or form. Some people benefit more from learning about Navy history, traditions, terminology (etc.) from going through either the Naval Academy or NROTC Units, from the more in depth, and longer period of exposure you get prior to entering the Navy. OCS does this through the 13 weeks they have you, and in effect bringing you up to speed in "Navy Culture" so to speak. I have encountered people from all commissioning sources, and while I think each has its own unique benefits, none would in effect put you at a "disadvantage".

As for starting out older, that won't effect you, as your career is based on the year group in which you are commissioned in, not your age. If anything, you would probably have an advantage on being a little more mature, and able to take on the responsibilities easier.

Supply Officers are Restricted Line Officers, as opposed to Untristricted Line (URL) Officers (SWOs, Pilots, etc..). Basically it boils down to the fact that they can NOT take command. In many cases, Supply Officers are individuals they didn't have the visual acuity (color blindness for example) to be a URL Officer. I used to work for a couple of Chops (Supply Officers) and they are basically the Accountants and Logistics Officers of the Navy, in charge of supplies and budgeting matters. A Chop can serve in many of the communities throughout his/her career. Maybe beginning on a Cruiser under another Supply Officer, and then for a second tour serving on a submarine as the supply officer, plus shore tours at a wide variety of commands. Where in some ways Aviators and SWOs may be limited in choice of duty assignments, Supply Officers would have a wider range to choose from. Then again, you don't get command, and are stuck shuffling paper work!

Just some insight, hope that answers your questions.

Bully

John,
Thanks, man. Thats exactly what I was looking for. The reason I asked about a stigma is I was looking into the Army at one point. Apparently, there IS quite a disadvantage career-wise(promotions, length of carrer, etc.) being an Army Officer from OCS(not officially, of course, but it is well understood). But, then again, the Army is a whole different animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.