• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any reason to keep Navy Fed, USAA banking?

D

Deleted member 24525

Who is? The age of the interwebs makes every institution subject to the amplified anger of the individual.
Put it another way...the things USAA used to do, as a bank, that benefited Military members, no longer make them special. (one of the first with online deposits, atm reimbursement, etc) now everyone is doing it, and USAA has started outsourcing other things that no longer make them special for military families.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Put it another way...the things USAA used to do, as a bank, that benefited Military members, no longer make them special. (one of the first with online deposits, atm reimbursement, etc) now everyone is doing it, and USAA has started outsourcing other things that no longer make them special for military families.

I have had mixed dealings with USAA bank the past few years, 2 things in particular that made me ponder whether or not I should switch banks. However they have redeemed themselves a bit by actually going above and beyond what they required to do recently, and they do for everyone, more so than any other bank or FCU I use while NFCU was the most laggard in that account.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Int'l Checking: I'm very happy with Schwab. Totally reimbursed int'l ATM fees, and the single country I went to that added on a surcharge on top of the bank fee (Thailand) they reimbursed too. Not sure what the limit is, but that month it was about $21 in fees they reimbursed.

There is no limit.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

I also recall them having among the highest rates on savings and CDs. Now, they are really among the bottom feeders and the rates are comically bad.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
+1 on the theme that USAA is no longer special - customer service sucks, rates are at best mediocre now after my latest comparisons, bundling no longer rewarded through lower rates, etc.

So - as of August 2020 whats the best overall plan for good drivers, a healthy checking balance, and homeowners insurance for a property not in any danger of floods.

Is there a best mix that stands out?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Check out geico. Also, Have a broker shop your policy every other year or so.

I use my company's credit union (4% interest on checking balances up to 25k with x transactions each month) and Ally for other banking. Barclays had a decent online savings rate, too.

Vanguard/fidelity/schwab for brokerage and investment services.

USAA sucks. I keep a small checking and savings account out of habit, but nothing goes in or out of it other than checks for my kid. Make sure you kill every insurance policy you've got to get your subscribers account back.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
+1 on the theme that USAA is no longer special - customer service sucks, rates are at best mediocre now after my latest comparisons, bundling no longer rewarded through lower rates, etc.
I have 3 cars (HI, FL, & NY - including 23 year daughter primary driver in NY), 3 houses, a valuable personal property (VPP) and umbrella policies with USAA.

I refinanced all the houses (HI, NV & NY) this year and got "That's an unbelievably low insurance rate" for all three. When I comparison shopped, some came close to USAA's rates but none came close to the ratings I found online for customer service, claims, etc.

I caparisoned shopped all three car policies this year and same thing.

Same thing for the VPP. I've used it 3 times in 5 years to replace lost or stolen jewelry (daughter....) with absolutely $0 change in rates. In fact, the rate hasn't changed in 5 years +/- $5. They even special ordered (i.e. had made) an item no longer readily available.

I've had the umbrella policy since 1993. It's rate is $85/year higher than when I got it 28 years ago.

When I refinanced my NY house in April with cash out, USAA had the same rate as everyone else, charged slightly less than the average on fees and didn't hit me with an interest rate penalty like the majority were doing (because COVID and mortgage forbearance - if you take cash out you are a higher risk) and gave me 80% of the value where everyone else would only do 75%. This was for NY, other states may vary.

I keep my checking with USAA but have a financial manager handling the rest of my finances. I keep their checking because I get instant loans over the phone for cars, my boat, personal loan for short term, etc. Never a hassle, deposited into my checking and available on the spot.

I've been with USAA my entire life and every both on my parents policies then my own. I will agree they are not as good as they were in the past but they are still very competitive, easy to use, responsive and hassle free with claims. I'm not changing anytime soon.

My brother, parents, aunts/uncles and cousins have all use USAA, shopped around, and stayed. All are happy.

Just my experience.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I have 3 cars (HI, FL, & NY - including 23 year daughter primary driver in NY), 3 houses, a valuable personal property (VPP) and umbrella policies with USAA.

I refinanced all the houses (HI, NV & NY) this year and got "That's an unbelievably low insurance rate" for all three. When I comparison shopped, some came close to USAA's rates but none came close to the ratings I found online for customer service, claims, etc.

Same thing for the VPP. I've used it 3 times in 5 years to replace lost or stolen jewelry (daughter....) with absolutely $0 change in rates. In fact, the rate hasn't changed in 5 years +/- $5. They even special ordered (i.e. had made) an item no longer readily available.

I've had the umbrella policy since 1993. It's rate is $85/year higher than when I got it 28 years ago.

When I refinanced my NY house in April with cash out, USAA had the same rate as everyone else, charged slightly less than the average on fees and didn't hit me with an interest rate penalty like the majority were doing (because COVID and mortgage forbearance - if you take cash out you are a higher risk) and gave me 80% of the value where everyone else would only do 75%. This was for NY, other states may vary.

I keep my checking with USAA but have a financial manager handling the rest of my finances. I keep their checking because I get instant loans over the phone for cars, my boat, personal loan for short term, etc. Never a hassle, deposited into my checking and available on the spot.

I've been with USAA my entire life and every both on my parents policies then my own. I will agree they are not as good as they were in the past but they are still very competitive, easy to use, responsive and hassle free with claims. I'm not changing anytime soon.

My brother, parents, aunts/uncles and cousins have all used USAA, shopped around, and stayed. All are happy.

Just my experience.
@HAL Pilot - thank you - that is good feedback. Its good to hear other's perspectives - I am far far from a genius financially.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Every time I get pissed at USAA and say "fuck them, I'm finding someone else" I end up staying after shopping around for new insurance.

Your rates are so low because of all your years of clean living. Some of us incorrigible youth don't have that luxury.

exNavyOffRec

My brother, parents, aunts/uncles and cousins have all use USAA, shopped around, and stayed. All are happy.

Just my experience.

Where you are at can be a factor as well, the states that have weird insurance rules are FL, NY, CA, and HI. You have managed to hit 2 of the 4, many companies don't like insuring people in HI and FL due to storms, floods and the state insurance rules so I could see USAA being the better option for you. In my case I have clean record and high credit score, USAA still can't make it worth it to switch, shopped around last month to refi the house and everyone said it wasn't worth it for me given my current rate so didn't get to far on comparison there.

In general the people I know that have had an issue with USAA excluding the rates they were paying was the poor customer service they had been receiving in regards to claims.