• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any NAVCAD's Out There?

dilbert123

pilot
I am trying to help a former Marine officer, ground type with no aviation experience, who is trying to out an impostor who claims he flew in the Navy. He claims he was a NAVCAD who went through AOCS in 1969. Wikipedia says that the program was discontinued in 1968. Now I went through AOCS in 1967 and never saw a NAVCAD or MARCAD so I question the '68 date. I never ran into anyone like that in any part of the Training Command or in the fleet.

Does anyone know the actual date, even the month and year, the program was discontinued? Is it possible it was discontinued very late '68 and this guy might have been in one of the last classes in January of '69? I returned as a flight instructor in late '69 at Saufley and there were no NAVCAD's at that time.

This impostor's claims are somewhat possible for having experienced Primary at VT-1, but his stories fall apart after that. My guess is this is someone who DOR'd or washed out at VT-1, but he's claiming all sorts of things including carrier experience, much of which he has recently backed off.

Many thanks for any help.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please ask him to log in here and start posting. We'd be glad to "help."

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Former NAVCAD here..... But not from that timeframe.

I'm sure you already thought of this, but ask him what AOCS class he was in. Also ask him what his NAVCAD device looked like, both in Primary and in advanced. They're different.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
started pre flight in june of '68. never saw a navcad. did see some usgg ones.

blackbart22

pilot
Former NAVCAD, but from way back. On the NAVCAD rank insignia - if he calls it anything but a "solo bar" he's a fake. When I was instructing in VT-21 I had the last NAVCAD to come through that squadron in the late summer of 1966.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I am trying to help a former Marine officer, ground type with no aviation experience, who is trying to out an impostor who claims he flew in the Navy. He claims he was a NAVCAD who went through AOCS in 1969 ....
I have no dog in this hunt, but perhaps the gent meant AVROC ... ??? Lots of folks confuse AVROC with NAVCAD ...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I went through flight school in the early 90's and the tail of the NAVCAD's (this generation) was winged around 1994-5 timeframe.

brownshoe

Contributor
Please ask him to log in here and start posting. We'd be glad to "help."

Yeah. Sounds like fun! This place has been dead lately. No old guys posting… Just yakking with BzB and Ron on the phone is getting pretty darned boring.:icon_wink (Just kiddin' you two. Hugh? What about the "Tastykakes?" I cleaned out a 7-11:))

Another Skeeterman? I’m up for it!:)

Steve

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Yeah. Sounds like fun! This place has been dead lately. No old guys posting… Just yakking with BzB and Ron on the phone is getting pretty darned boring.:icon_wink

Another Skeeterman? I’m up for it!:)

Steve

There I was...summer of '64, on the deck of the USS Gerald Ford, after an alpha strike going downtown against the Cong. I hopped out of my F-6 Hellcat just in time to partake in crossing the Equator to become the Navy's newest shellback. Pics to prove if you don't believe me.

brownshoe

Contributor
There I was...summer of '64, on the deck of the USS Gerald Ford, after an alpha strike going downtown against the Cong. I hopped out of my F-6 Hellcat just in time to partake in crossing the Equator to become the Navy's newest shellback. Pics to prove if you don't believe me.

Now that's some funny shit right there!;)

Except it sounds too believable. :icon_wink

Steve

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OPSEC!
[Hey, I was there too, but it was a "special, super-secret" deal that we cant' talk about!]

dilbert123

pilot
The NAVCAD program was disestablished in 1966. It was later reinstated in the 1980s.

Here is a link to an old AW discussion about NAVCAD dates:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-16818.html

Scroll down a page or so.......

Many thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. And kudo's to A4's Forever who in this archived thread outlines the dates the program was active. And many thanks to all others who responded, it all helped.

This guy in question is a bit like Skeeter but more stupid. He claims to have been a Navy pilot, wings and everything, but started AOCS via the NAVCAD program in 1969. I went through AOCS in '67 and at that time there were no NAVCAD's in AOCS nor did I run into any in the Training Command. This guy's resume actually lists having gone through Primary and has a list of what he did there which appears to be lifted direct from either an informational brochure or training manual. There is nothing else in the resume about further training. The guy is bogus. If I talk about what I did in the Training Command I would talk about my first CarQuals or close calls during my first night round robin, but not about flying loops in a Weenie. This guy's seen Top Gun too many times. He uses some of the lingo but doesn't know what it means.