• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any Bonus for Navy Pilot?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Currently in DEP. I also have a BA in Psych, GPA is 2.3. I eventually want to commission. Enlisting now because I want to serve and GPA is too low for OCS. Would being enlisted give me a better chance at being accepted to go to OCS? If not, what would be the best step for my situation?

Your GPA is low, and it doesn’t help that it was from a liberal arts degree. The only sub 2.5 person (out of the streets) I’ve seen selected was for pilot and the applicant had an engineering degree, a very high ASTB score, and the gpa was around a 2.48.

You can take courses to include a masters degree but it’s going to take a while to move that GPA to a 2.5 or higher.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Probably your best option would be to excel in your rate and try for LDO as they look at what you have done in your job more than anything.
You forgot to tell him that he's looking at years and at least a second enlistment before he's eligible to apply for LDO. Plus the fact that LDO is highly competitive and if he's not selected, he's still obligated to finish his enlistment. Probably a minimum of 10 years enlisted before eligible to apply and another 3 or 4 years minimum until commissioning after that.

exNavyOffRec

You forgot to tell him that he's looking at years and at least a second enlistment before he's eligible to apply for LDO. Plus the fact that LDO is highly competitive and if he's not selected, he's still obligated to finish his enlistment. Probably a minimum of 10 years enlisted before eligible to apply and another 3 or 4 years minimum until commissioning after that.

It would be at least 2 enlistments as they have to have 8 years by the time the FY starts for that board, if the person is selected at the board they are commissioned in that FY. The competitiveness can vary I have seen people pickup LDO but not selected repeatedly for CPO or SCPO.

Realistically that is probably the only path if he wants to get a commission since his GPA is so low, another full year of college would only bring him up to a 2.6 if he had a perfect 4.0, but how many people go from a 2.3 average to a 4.0 average?

Bread

"I just did OHARP at an Officer Recruiting station and I don’t think your GPA disqualifies you from the new requirements to apply for Pilot/Naval Flight Officer. That being said you would need to score really high on the ASTB since your GPA is so low an average score of 6/6/6 likely wouldn’t get you accepted. I would assume you’d need 7/7/7 or higher to be considered. I was told while working there that recently the navy took down a GPA req for pilot/NFO you just need any bachelors degree from an accredited college/university, an average OAR score and a high ASTB score.
- I just did OHARP as well and can confirm this information is true. Navy has removed GPA requirements on some jobs. That being said, my LT would more than likely pass up on a 2.3 GPA and would give it to the enlisted recruiters to work as a potential contract."

Originally, I was I was planning on just doing enlisted but I posted on reddit and someone commented saying what's in quotations up top. Thats why I came back here. Studying is no problem for me I just didnt apply my self before. I am now. Is there any truth from what was commented?

Dorf981

I enlisted SpecWar. Dropped. Been in 2 years now. GPA 2.5 with BA in German. Picked up for NFO first try. GPA matters to a point. When enlisted your career matters more.

Bread

I enlisted SpecWar. Dropped. Been in 2 years now. GPA 2.5 with BA in German. Picked up for NFO first try. GPA matters to a point. When enlisted your career matters more.
Besides your scores what do you think got you accepted?

Enlisting with a hope of being picked up for an officer commissioning program (STA-21, OCS, LDO, etc) is a long shot. There are many people that apply for these programs that never get accepted. There is a very high chance that you would not get in. I was one of the lucky ones that was picked up for STA-21 before it became essentially a nuke enlisted commissioning program. If you want to fly, do not enlist. That's my advice. Study your face off for the ASTB, apply for OCS and see what happens. The worst thing they can say is no.

Dorf981

Besides your scores what do you think got you accepted?

A big part of it I think was how fast I moved up in the division with quals and becoming a supervisor. And how well I did with interviews for the job. My ships XO was one of them and just seeing his signature of approval in green ink helped I’m sure.
I’m sure it also helped being that I was the only person from my command to apply for the Pilot/NFO board and had zero competition.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Title says it all. My recruiter said there are no bonuses available. I have my bachelors degree in Kinesiology with no prior flight experience. I read online enlistment bonus with bachelors is 8,000. So are there any bonuses available or is that basically absorbed by the huge cost it takes to train new pilots?
I'd consider the limitless opportunities at the Florabama at least a fringe benefit.

exNavyOffRec

"I just did OHARP at an Officer Recruiting station and I don’t think your GPA disqualifies you from the new requirements to apply for Pilot/Naval Flight Officer. That being said you would need to score really high on the ASTB since your GPA is so low an average score of 6/6/6 likely wouldn’t get you accepted. I would assume you’d need 7/7/7 or higher to be considered. I was told while working there that recently the navy took down a GPA req for pilot/NFO you just need any bachelors degree from an accredited college/university, an average OAR score and a high ASTB score.
- I just did OHARP as well and can confirm this information is true. Navy has removed GPA requirements on some jobs. That being said, my LT would more than likely pass up on a 2.3 GPA and would give it to the enlisted recruiters to work as a potential contract."

Originally, I was I was planning on just doing enlisted but I posted on reddit and someone commented saying what's in quotations up top. Thats why I came back here. Studying is no problem for me I just didnt apply my self before. I am now. Is there any truth from what was commented?

They have done that before with the PA, while it did not give a minimum GPA the board itself would make a cut, sometimes the info is passed down a cut was made, often it isn't, the IWC board made the cut at one board of 3.0 where everyone below it was auto Pro-N.

The lowest I ever saw was 2.5 and that was with 9's on the ASTB, not my candidate but came through my NRD and reviewed the application, it was a tech degree though.

also 6's are the minimum, there have been several here turned down with 7's so I would go with 8's or 9's if he wants to get noticed, don't remember if he took the ASTB yet though.