• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Antidepressants and Aviation

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
There was nothing else. No ARI, ULQ, NJP, nothing. My section I comments essentially say, "Good guy, good officer, had trouble at the boat"

As effed up as it is, having your flight status revoked in an FPPB/FSSB for failing at any point in the FRS or the fleet is a DC Adverse FITREP per the PES- "The Reporting Senior (RS) must submit a (DC) report for the following specific actions"... "(H) When the Deputy Commandant, Aviation (DC AVN) determines that a respondent to a Flight Status Selection Board (FSSB) is subject to revocation of orders to duty in a flight status..."

It's not so for flight school, but in the Marine Corps eyes, the FRS isn't flight school. I didn't have a student MOS, I was a 7523 NATOPS qualified F/A-18 pilot. I tried to get it pulled or changed, but it was denied.

The PES manual was most likely updated after your FFPB. You were still at the FRS though and had not completed the syllabus. Correct? If the PES manual was updated (MCO 1610.17A) when you went through your appeal... How does the Marine Corps not view the FRS F/A-18 syllabi as a technical entry level school would be be beyond my comprehension.

Page 5-4:

1. Reporting officials must not, however, penalize a Marine for lacking the MOS prerequisites for the school or for lacking formal education or natural abilities or aptitudes to complete the school. If the MRO is dropped from a school due to lacking the natural abilities or aptitude to complete the course, and not because of those items listed in sub- paragraph (f) above, the RS shall comment as follows in section I, “MRO was disenrolled from the school because he/she did not meet the required prerequisites.” The RS will complete the report as a regular, non-adverse, fitness report.

2. Examples that are not adverse: Dropped from flight school or any entry-level technically oriented school because of not having specific ability or aptitude; not accepted for Drill Instructor or Recruiter School or duty because of not meeting the ideal psychological profile. Note: Reporting officials should not base recommendations for promotion in these examples purely on academic achievement, grade point average, aptitude, or ability to assimilate instruction; the “whole Marine” concept still applies.

Page 5-12

8. Appeals to Previously Submitted Reports
a. The MRO may appeal any report that he or she believes is incorrect, inaccurate, or in violation of the policies and instructions in this Order once the report is a matter of official record. The MRO must submit an appeal per the provisions of Chapter 10.

Yes, let me risk my life trying to qualify landing this thousand pound giant machine on a floating steel prison going hundreds of miles of hour in an area the size of a basketball court and not call it “entry level” or “technical.” ...only to have you kick me in the cajones when I can’t do it with in the amount of training time allotted.

If you haven’t written your congressmen about the adjudication of the fitrep, then that would be my next step. Atleast If you are looking to stay in the Marines.

Last edited:
This is very scary…
I got into a good four year college but due to not taking college seriously, going to parties too often and being more concerned with impressing girls. I failed my second semester and ended up having to transfer to a community college.
This made me feel like a failure and I mentioned to my primary doc that I was depressed. He recorded that I was depressed. Few months after , for another check up, I was good and no longer had depression. I didn’t take any meds and was not diagnosed.
I completed community college, transferred to another 4 year and recently graduated.

This will not be an issue right?
Should I mention this to my recruiter?

I’ve heard that MEPS, now checks medical records and will see that I told my doc that I was depressed, Will this be a big deal?

My depression was completely due to my circumstances at that time in my life. But like I said, no diagnosis or meds. But my doc did record that I felt depressed. I should be able to still fly right?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This will not be an issue right?
Should I mention this to my recruiter?

I’ve heard that MEPS, now checks medical records and will see that I told my doc that I was depressed, Will this be a big deal?

My depression was completely due to my circumstances at that time in my life. But like I said, no diagnosis or meds. But my doc did record that I felt depressed. I should be able to still fly right?

These are all good questions to discuss with your recruiter. Get the medical records.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I was looking reassureance. Being that you were a recruiter, I assumed you would be able to tell if my particular situation would be a dream killer. Your reply has only heightened my fears.

@FormerRecruitingGuru has made a reasonable suggestion for you. I'd get a handle on that fear- anxiety is like a freight train, and that kind of fear doesn't serve you. Best way to put the brakes on the train is by doing something about it. Take that "Imma post this on the web for reassurance" energy, and put it into something personally constructive, such as taking the suggestion which has been offered to you. Remember that anyone can find an opinion to agree with theirs on the internet- right or wrong.

Qualitatively, your situation does not sound like a deal-breaker to me, but I'm not an expert, and nobody here should be unprofessional enough to try and speak in lieu of your recruiter and MEPS.

@FormerRecruitingGuru has made a reasonable suggestion for you. I'd get a handle on that fear- anxiety is like a freight train, and that kind of fear doesn't serve you. Best way to put the brakes on the train is by doing something about it. Take that "Imma post this on the web for reassurance" energy, and put it into something personally constructive, such as taking the suggestion which has been offered to you. Remember that anyone can find an opinion to agree with theirs on the internet- right or wrong.

Qualitatively, your situation does not sound like a deal-breaker to me, but I'm not an expert, and nobody here should be unprofessional enough to try and speak in lieu of your recruiter and MEPS.
Roger That

exNavyOffRec

I was looking reassureance. Being that you were a recruiter, I assumed you would be able to tell if my particular situation would be a dream killer. Your reply has only heightened my fears.
There are a few things that we can say with a high degree of certainty will or will not be an issue such as I am still on meds (no go) or when parents divorced I had family counseling for 2 months (probably fine), when it comes to many things it not only depends on the specific circumstances but also as to the Doctor doing the consult for the USN.

If it makes you feel any better I would have told you the same thing, good luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Stop being “that one dude” and instead apply some common sense here.

Your recruiter knows more about your background than any of us here. Just ask them and if you’re not sure, get the medical records which will confirm or not confirm the actual diagnosis.