• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Interesting info;

I'm average height, 71", about a 31-32" inseam, and my femurs were basically almost at the max. (measure from end of butt to end of knee while sitting). I was sort of suprised at this because I have pretty average proportions. All of my other proportions were well within the limits, but this one was pretty close. Maybe I just have longer femurs than most (I am a decent runner), but I never really thought I did...

At least at this point in my life I can only get smaller!

Well I did read those posts but they focus on height restrictions for pilots and not NFOs. I'm asking because I am about 6'1" with long legs. Is there a chance the new F-18's are more spacious???

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Purdue Jones said:
Well I did read those posts but they focus on height restrictions for pilots and not NFOs. I'm asking because I am about 6'1" with long legs. Is there a chance the new F-18's are more spacious???

Well they are "Thoooooper"

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Buttock-Knee Length though is totally waiverable (at least it used to be) depending on pipeline and aircraft. It's rarely an all or nothing thing.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Schnuggapup said:
I saw a couple of posts that might help...try a search for "height restrictions" and/or "arthropometric" (sp?)..basically means will you fit the aircraft.

FYI, it's "anthropometric". Searching for "anthro" will pretty much do it too.

jmac12

Its usually the Prowler that NFO's were getting anthro'd out of due measurements, but, by the time you get around to a fleet jet, it could be the Growler, and you will be fine. Have not seen anyone anthro'd out of the Super.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kcmac12 said:
Its usually the Prowler that NFO's were getting anthro'd out of due measurements, but, by the time you get around to a fleet jet, it could be the Growler, and you will be fine. Have not seen anyone anthro'd out of the Super.
G model is at least four years away from fleet introduction and Prowlers will be around for a while after that, so I wouldn't even factor that angle in at this point.

brett

jchair211

Hello everyone I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm interesting in flying helicopters for the Marine Corps to be more specific Cobras,but I'm short 5 foot 3 inches to be exact(145 lbs.). Is there any height requirement for flying helos for the Marines? Any help would be much appreicated, thanks.

Tara

VT-6 student
It depends on anthropometric measurements (sitting height, leg length, arm length), not overall height. That being said, I'm at the minimums required to apply and I only fit helicopters. Take a look at NAVAIRINST 3710.9C under Navair Instructions at http://directives.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm for more details.

jchair211

thanks Tara...your help was much appreciated...Just out of curiousity, how tall are you and what type of aircraft do you fly???

Tara

VT-6 student
I'm 5'2" (when I round up) and I'm still waiting for my application to be reviewed so no aircraft yet.

As a side note, I had some problems in the fall getting my application read by the board. Someone decided that since I'm only tall enough for 1 pipeline (helos) they didn't want to read my appl. After several discussions involving my recruiter, his LT, and a couple of officers on the appl processing end, they finally decided that they can't use anthro measurements as the only reason to rule out an applicant who meets minimum anthro requirements. So now I'm waiting for the next selection board and hoping I don't have a big black mark next to my name for stirring up the issue. This may not be a problem in the Marines (I applied Navy) but don't just walk away if you hit the same roadblock. Goock luck.

jchair211

Well good luck and I'll keep that in mind. Way to represent the little guys! Let me know what happens with all that.

Malice 1

pilot
Anthropometric surprise at API?

I'm probably destroying all OSO's credibility with this thread, but did anyone else think that is was devious and clever that you don't get your Antro restrictions told to you until the first day of API? I think it's the Navy's best kept secret.

A few guys I know really wanted jets, and they found out on zero day that they were too big.

Another guy is too big for the T45, but he fits in the FA18. Regardless, he can't get jets. THats kinda ironic.

As for me, I can't fit in the EA6B, and I'm too fat for the T45 ejection seat. I had to sign a waiver about the ejection seat, but I'm not disqualified. I guess I better lose some weight. :eek:

ANyone else get surprised when they checked into API?

Malice 1

pilot
Another weird thing that baffles me....

You pretty much have to be a troll to be an EA6B pilot. Why are all ECMO's 6'4" and 250+lbs? I've never ever seen a small ECMO or small hornet WSO. THe pilots for those planes have to be small though.