• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Annual Flight Physical

Clam Man

Hi,

I just started drilling recently. My annual flight physical month is approaching, and I was wondering if I need to get one. I am not assigned to a flight billet currently (I don't think...), but am still designated as an NFO. I was active duty last year.

Any thoughts?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Hi,

I just started drilling recently. My annual flight physical month is approaching, and I was wondering if I need to get one. I am not assigned to a flight billet currently (I don't think...), but am still designated as an NFO. I was active duty last year.

Any thoughts?

Are you receiving ACIP?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, what OnTopTime alluded to. If you are receiving ACIP and you want to keep getting it you still have to get your yearly flight physical, even if not in a flying billet.

USAF.Boom

I just transfered from the Air Force back to the Navy, but I was a flyer in the AF and if I let my FP expire and then wanted to start flying again, I would have to do the long form vs. the short form...But could be wrong...I was a Corpsman for TRANSCOM and our guys who didn't fly anymore all still kept theirs current, and threw a fit if I forgot they needed a flight PA.

Clam Man

Acip

I was receiving ACIP until this May/June when I resigned my active commision and joined the IRR. I started drilling this October. I would like to recieve ACIP, but don't think that I currently am based on my LES.

I only have two drill periods under my belt, and as has happened to me about a dozen times in the last 14 years, there were major paperwork errors getting me gained to the unit (which is on Navsta Everett, a non aviation unit.)

I have heard of other drilling reservists, in non flying billets, getting their ACIP, which is why I would want to get my flight physical...which brings up a second issue. I would have to travel to Whidbey, during the week, to get this done...which in my mind should count as a drill period or two. (not to mention me burning my vacation time from work.)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A couple things......First, have you made your 12 year gate yet? If you have and you are good, IIRC you have to have 8 years of flying to be good at your 12 year gate, you should be eligible to get flight pay out to 18 years. When I made my 12 year gate in the reserves I got a letter from a GS at NAVRES saying I was good (not sure if active guys get a letter?). I gave it to my RESPAY officer and all was good. If you have not made your 12 year gate yet you should be good if you are still designated an Aviator/NFO up to 12 years. If you are past 12 and didn't make our gate I think you are SOL. If you are past 12 years, think you are good but don't have a letter saying so I have a 2 year old POC for the NAVRES guy if you need it, he was a bit short but gave me what I needed. All this was based solely on my experience, which seemed to be the norm.

As for taking a drill to do your physical, by all means do so. I took 2 drills for my first two physicals in the reserves because they took so long, mainly because it was so backed up. This last one my new CO, a former VP squadron CO, said the rule of thumb was to take only one so that is what I did. Not sure what the other reservists here did, but you definitely rate at least one paid drill for the physical.

As for administrative snafu's, they seem to happen a lot more in the reserves than they ever did on active duty. You really are the only one looking our for your career and you have to make sure everything gets done on yourown, from pay to Fitreps and everything in between. There are quite a few reservists here, current and former, so it is a good resource if you have questions.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
What Flash is telling you sounds pretty good. If there's a chance that you're being underpaid, you need to do some research and find out for sure. Here's the governing BUPERS instruction. It might take you a while to slog through it, but if it was me with $$$ involved, I would take the time.

When I was doing Reserve Officer recruiting, after 10 years of DIFOPS orders, I had a know-nothing PN from my command call me up (the command HQ was in DC, and I was basically a one man show in Brunswick) after she had "audited" officer pay records. I was the only aviator in the wardroom, and I was getting permanent ACIP because I made my gates. The PN wanted to inform me that she had discovered that I was getting flight pay "in error" and that she was going to correct the situation. It took everything I had not to reach through the phone and grab her around the neck. I suggested that she acquaint herself with ACIP procedures before messing with my rightfully earned pay. She just couldn't fathom the concept of an aviator getting flight pay without being in a flying billet.

Clam Man

Good info guys. Kind of what I figured about taking this on, all by my lonesome. I have not reached my 12 year gate...I got commissioned in 2000, and winged in 2002. I kind of took the ACIP thing for granted, so I will need to do some more research on it, and Flash, I could use that POC if you still have it. OnTop thanks for the Bupers instruction (dude, never thought I would actually say that....) for I am sure to run into that same misunderstanding from my pay people.