• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ANG to Navy

GDAL

Just trying to put some feelers out there for my interesting predicament.

I enlisted as an E-3 in the Air National Guard last year with the specific intent of commissioning as a pilot. Unfortunately, I was DQ'd during the flight physical due to depth perception. However, it appears as though I am within limits for Naval aviator. I'm looking into crossing over, but I'm 28 years old. Anyone know if an age waiver is likely? Also, I assume I'll have to start all the way over back at MEPS/take the ASTB?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just trying to put some feelers out there for my interesting predicament.

I enlisted as an E-3 in the Air National Guard last year with the specific intent of commissioning as a pilot. Unfortunately, I was DQ'd during the flight physical due to depth perception. However, it appears as though I am within limits for Naval aviator. I'm looking into crossing over, but I'm 28 years old. Anyone know if an age waiver is likely? Also, I assume I'll have to start all the way over back at MEPS/take the ASTB?

It’ll depend on the waiver. Best bet is to reach a local OR to find out.

GDAL

Just got off the phone with an OR, he said there is no way they will process an age waiver for aviators?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Just got off the phone with an OR, he said there is no way they will process an age waiver for aviators?

You might be close to 29 and don’t have enough time to apply. NFO is 31, but with guard/reserve time you will need to see if you’re eligible.

GDAL

I am close to 29 and am not considering NFO because I already have a position in the AF. I was just surprised that age waivers were practically non-existent. Compared to the AF where they are getting handed out fairly regularly (especially on the guard/reserve side).

FormerRecruitingGuru

I am close to 29 and am not considering NFO because I already have a position in the AF. I was just surprised that age waivers were practically non-existent. Compared to the AF where they are getting handed out fairly regularly (especially on the guard/reserve side).

There are age waivers for the Navy and Pilot, but you need to commission before turning 29. That's how long/old the Pilot age waiver will go up to for prior/active military service.

GDAL

Good information, thank you. Sounds like I'm out of the running since I turn 29 in August.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That timing is super tight even if you could get a 2 year waiver for 2 or more years of prior enlisted service.

One of my flight school friends was prior E and was 31 when he comissioned in the Navy for pilot training. Sometimes you'll hear anecdotes like this. That was a long time ago and we're not exactly at that point for pilot recruiting. Not yet anyway...