• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ANG pilot to Navy pilot?

DC30er580

Is it possible to go from flying in an ANG unit to Navy flying? If so, would it have to be a similar platform or would you attend primary and then compete with all the other students for a platform? I seem to remember reading somewhere (not sure if this website) that someone was sent to UPT by an ANG unit and the unit transitioned to drones or ran out of money and he ended up flying in the Navy. Perhaps he attended primary at a Navy facility.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not directly from the ANG to an active duty Navy squadron. If someone is already a pilot, then there may be potential to transition from an ANG unit to a Navy Reserve pilot slot, but it’s not common. In that case, I’m sure that having flown a similar platform in the ANG would help.

In the example you provided, that guy would’ve started over in the Navy syllabus and completed the entire flight school syllabus like any other flight student.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
It is possible, but pretty uncommon. I won't hammer on you, but I know the question has been asked in the past, see what you can find.

That said, I believe it's more difficult to go from AF to Navy. It took me over a year to go Navy to AF. I'm sure the Navy honors AF wings and repeating UPT in its entirety is unlikely, but depending on the platform you'll have to do some flavor of boat qual. If it's a helo-to-helo transfer, you'll get your qual in the FRS. The pointy nose guys may have you do some type of abbreviated T-45 syllabus since they still do their initial boat qual in Advanced. But what happens if you can't land on the boat? Then what? You left F-15s or F-16s and now you're marooned?

Why would you want to leave the ANG? Seriously. The majority of transfers are from gold to silver for a reason. Just take a look at the data:

Python

pilot
Contributor
It is possible, but pretty uncommon. I won't hammer on you, but I know the question has been asked in the past, see what you can find.

That said, I believe it's more difficult to go from AF to Navy. It took me over a year to go Navy to AF. I'm sure the Navy honors AF wings and repeating UPT in its entirety is unlikely, but depending on the platform you'll have to do some flavor of boat qual. If it's a helo-to-helo transfer, you'll get your qual in the FRS. The pointy nose guys may have you do some type of abbreviated T-45 syllabus since they still do their initial boat qual in Advanced. But what happens if you can't land on the boat? Then what? You left F-15s or F-16s and now you're marooned?

Why would you want to leave the ANG? Seriously. The majority of transfers are from gold to silver for a reason. Just take a look at the data:

View attachment 24676
When I was a Cat 1 in the Hornet there was a Cat other from the F-16 and he did his initial CQ with us, not in the T-45. Im not positive if that was the norm or exception.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I was a Cat 1 in the Hornet there was a Cat other from the F-16 and he did his initial CQ with us, not in the T-45. Im not positive if that was the norm or exception.

All the exchange guys I've known of to do CQ have done it initially at the FRS. I think the whole scenario is the exception, but perhaps within that exception this is the norm.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is it possible to go from flying in an ANG unit to Navy flying? If so, would it have to be a similar platform or would you attend primary and then compete with all the other students for a platform? I seem to remember reading somewhere (not sure if this website) that someone was sent to UPT by an ANG unit and the unit transitioned to drones or ran out of money and he ended up flying in the Navy. Perhaps he attended primary at a Navy facility.

If you want to fly navy, just apply directly for Navy OCS (via SNA/1390).

xmid

pilot
Contributor
There's a dude that started AFR/ANG F-16's and transitioned to Navy reserve F-18's, then went back to the Air Force. He has a youtube channel. Definitely uncommon.