• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

An old man needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff29

Science Project
This is my plea for help, advice, encouragement, discouragement, or anything in between. Also, this may get a bit long, but I'd really appreciate input from anyone (and particularly guys who have any experience with these issues).

As many of you know, I am working on a transfer from the Civil Engineer Corps to Aviation. I have actually been working on becoming an aviator for over 10 years. Out of high school, I was accepted to the Academy and had a couple ROTC scholarships, but because of vision problems, was told that my only options would be SWO, or Submariner. This advice was incorrect, but at the time, I didn't know better, so I turned down the offers. I didn't go to school for the next 3 years, but when I did go back, I went around to all the services to see if vision requirements had changed. The Air Force told me I might be able to squeeze in, so I did ROTC for a semester. It turned out that I couldn't qualify. A couple years later, I made the rounds again, but was told the same thing. At this time I heard about the Civil Engineer Corps. I felt like I had exhausted all avenues to aviation so I took a CEC Scholarship. After graduating, I went to OCS, and have been in the CEC for about 20 months. Last October, the Navy began allowing individuals to apply for aviation after have laser eye surgery (PRK). I found out about this in December, had the surgery in March, and have spent the last several months jumping through application hoops.

One of my main concerns was my age. I asked the aviation detailer in charge of student placement about a waiver, and was told that I could get a waiver up to 31 years old (I'm almost 29). I have now basically finished my application, so I called PERS 811 who is in charge of transfers, and asked them specifics about the process. They told me that when they receive applications they take them down the hall to the detailers for review. The detailers then send them to the Community Managers in D.C. for verification that the applicant is eligible for transfer. I decided to email the Community Manager. He told me that the age limit was waiverable to 31 on a month-for-month basis prior to your 27th birthday. I enlisted 16 months before my 27th birthday, but am now 23 month past my 27th birthday. He told me that they were very strict with this because people had tried to "game" the system, and he told me that I would be an excellent candidate for NFO (no age waiver needed).

Anyway, I'm pretty upset. The fact that they let people in up to 31 indicates that age is not the primary concern. The Navy needed more pilots, but they didn't want to open the flood gates, so they came up with a system that would give them applicants with prior experience (these people would be more likely to complete the program). So basically a guy my age who has been enlisted for four years is eligible, but I, who was enlisted for 18 months and have been an officer for 20 months, am not. No offense to enlisted personnel, but I'm pretty sure that I have a better chance of making it through OCS.

I basically see a few options:
1) Apply for SNFO
2) Apply for SNFO and then lobby for a transfer to SNA (I noticed someone on the board who had done this, and obviously I would have to be prepared for not getting the transfer).
3) Writing letters to the Community Manager (an O-5) and possibly up the BUPERS chain (I even thought about writing my Congressman). If my few years have taught me anything, it's that there is always someone who can grant an exception. The problem is finding them, and convincing them.
4) Give up.

Possibly the most frustrating part is that I know that my application will be very strong. I graduated with a 3.9 in Civil Engineering, I was a DNG (top 10%) at OCS, I have excellent FITREPS, my ASTB scores were 66, 9, 9, 7, 7, 4, I almost have my PPL, and my CO (while not thrilled about me leaving the CEC) will give me a good endorsement.

I have wanted to be a Naval Aviator (pilot) for as long as I can remember (yes, even before Top Gun). I don’t want to give up, but I really don’t know what my next step should be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--Jeff

Dave Shutter

It's a shame Jeff because you're probably more qualified then a lot of other people who get a shot at it. Historicaly the branches have always leaned towards youger applicants for pilot training, the rational being that if they had perfect eyes to start with then you'll probably have them around for a while longer VS. some almost 30 yr. old guy (me and you) who may only have perfect vision for a few more years. PRK has changed all that and not just for Aviation. I asked the Opthamalogist who tested me at Bethesda about older pilots (thinking I'd be one some day) getting PRK to stay on longer and how soon before it would be total common place, like getting a cavity drilled. He said it's already commonlace in the Special Forces! So there you have the always experimenting, un-conventional, free thinking outfits, SF, accepting PRK across the board based on it's merits. And then on the other side of the field you have the old-fashioned, stubborn and somewhat beauracratic orgnization taking it's good old time accepting something new. Correct me if I'm wrong Randy, but didn't the AF raise it's age to 30 and it's transfer age (latest you can transfer in from another field as an AF Officer) to 35? Now that's modern thinking! They know it's okay to start a guy as a pilot at 30 or even 35 because if his eyes go bad as 40 gets closer they can always fix them!

But I guess you can't blame the Navy (just like you can't blame the Russians for being paranoid about being invaded) I mean, think about how many "new ideas" in Navy history have probably been put to sea without first being proven 100% only to prove disasterous?

I don't know how much advice I can offer; my application has been a 3-ring circus so far, but it sounds like you've done everything possible to qualify to include having conversations with all the actual people involved in the decision. I guess I can only say that you've done everything you can and to just let your app. go! The decision is up to someone else to make so just let them make it and get it or not, but walk away from it knowing you'd tried the fullest and never quit. As 30 gets closer and you slowly realize that your nowhere close to where you wanted to be in life, it's really easy to regret decisions and mistake that you made earlier, but you shouldn't do that. It's counter-productive, it's a waste of energy and it's a waste of time. And besides, it's just not something a Warrior does.

Good luck

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/12/2001 01:42:41

spidrwmn

Jeff,
Give it your best shot and go from there. If they don't realize how much of an asset you would be then that is their loss, but it is better to try and fail than to have never tried at all. Good luck!!

- spider

Status
Not open for further replies.