• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AMDO, What is it like, what exactly do you do?

nukumall

I have been selected for AMDO. I have read a little about the field, but everything I read I am sure is the political side. My question is what is it really like? Where can you be stationed at...Are there any good port stories. With it being such a small field, how many are assigned to each fleet? What shore duties are there for AMDO's? Do you really have a lot of paperwork?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
You are a maintenance officer. Attached to a squadron, ship, or Shore activity. You are in charge of fixing the aircraft, which entails all production, supply parts, readiness rates for the Air Wing, all kinds of things.
Your first tour will most likely be in a squadron, as the Aircraft line Divo, and will move your way up to Quality Assurance Officer, then MMCO, AMO, and MO. mmco ( Maintenance Material Control Officer, AMO= Assistant Maintenance Officer, MO= Maintenance Officer)

This is a basic career path for an AMDO

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are a maintenance officer. Attached to a squadron, ship, or Shore activity. You are in charge of fixing the aircraft, which entails all production, supply parts, readiness rates for the Air Wing, all kinds of things.
Your first tour will most likely be in a squadron, as the Aircraft line Divo, and will move your way up to Quality Assurance Officer, then MMCO, AMO, and MO. mmco ( Maintenance Material Control Officer, AMO= Assistant Maintenance Officer, MO= Maintenance Officer)

Most squadrons in the Air Wing use aviators for MO billet (Ops and Maint are the big ticket Dept head spots), but AMDOs can move on to be CAGMO and take AIMD aboard the ship or Fleet Readiness Center ashore (Command). There is also a path to head to Pax River and get into a number of Acquisition or competency jobs there including major command (program office). Top of the heap can be a flag level billet in OPNAV and/or acquisition community.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Assignments are extremely varied because you can be stationed about anywhere the Navy or Marine Corps has airplanes. I find AMO/AMDO appealing since it involves a lot of practical problem solving skills, working closely with the enlisted personnel, and the demands of your squadron/wing/ department are always changing, which keeps things interesting. AMD:confused:rg has more info on the Navy side.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
What is the school process for AMDO? Is it one school after OCS or a series? Also, where is it located.

Thanks.

nukumall

11 weeks near Pensicola, after that I dont think there is any folow up schools, probably OJT.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

To echo what Heyjoe said, squadrons typically have an O-4 pilot/NFO as the MO. He's the department head.

The progression you listed isn't really a career path, that can all be knocked out in your first squadron tour.

What you get really depends on your squadron, typical billets include MCO (material control officer) and AMO and MMCO as listed above. Some squadrons have enough aircrew to fill the Maintenance divisions (Aircraft, Line, AV/ARM) and QAO, so you may or may not get to do that. Typically F-18C squadrons let their AMDOs do the Div-O jobs because they have 2 1520s assigned to the squadron, whereas others only have 1.

As for the rest of your career, there's the AIMD side of the house you'll have to do. I'm not familiar with this, but as a JO you'll most likely do a Div-O job.

Moving on to O-4, you're looking at either being the MO for an AIMD on a Phib, the CAGMO (Airwing Maintenance officer), or the AMO or MMCO for the AIMD on a carrier. At O-5, the only fleet billet is the MO for a carrier's AIMD.

As heyjoe mentioned, there's the aquisition route, etc. In other words, you don't need to be the MO of a carrier for it to be considered a "successful" carreer. I just listed the fleet billets. Hope this helps.

With it being such a small field, how many are assigned to each fleet?

Like I mentioned above, F-18C squadrons typically have 2 AMDOs, 2 LDOs, 2 CWOs. Most squadrons will only have 1 of each. Carrier AIMDs probably only have 1 or 2 JO AMDOs, with the rest being LDO/CWO.

Do you really have a lot of paperwork?

Yes. It's the nature of the beast. As an officer, you're not a wrech-turner, nor are you specilized in an airframe. It's maintenance management, which means paperwork.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I cannot speak to CWO/LDO, but AMDO's as a community are not going anywhere that I know of (AMDO's and AEDO's combine at the O-6 level, going from 1510/1520 designators to both being 1500's).