• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Altitude Chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
This Thursday I'm going to the altitude chamber at Columbus AFB in Columbus, MS. I'm pretty stoked, as this is a rare occurance for a civilian, so I'll be sure to give a full report when I return.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Make sure you go to Taco Bell, and load up on some Chilli Bean Burrittos and have a six pack of soda. Your "ride" in pressure chamber will be all that more enjoyable as you soar to 30k feet. Not to mention the fact that you will be the most popular person in the chamber, that is for sure. Seriously though, enjoy the ride. I also have to restart the 4 year counter on my low pressure chamber ride and the dunker here shortly, before I head off to Hawaii.

Tahoe

quote:
I also have to restart the 4 year counter on my low pressure chamber ride and the dunker here shortly, before I head off to Hawaii.

HAWAII!!! What are you heading over there for?? A little P3 bounce??

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I recieved orders to my first Fleet Squadron for a 3 year tour of duty in Hawaii, should leave for there in Jun/Jul timeframe.

We do a Navigation Extend during the FRS/RAG training, some people go to Hawaii, though we are either going to go to England or Germany, still hasn't been decided yet. Leave on a thursday, get back on a monday. Take 23 people, 4 student pilots, 2 instructor pilots, 3 flight engineers and a whole bunch of NFOs and tube rats. Probably happen in late April or early May. Looking forward to it, going to be fun flying across the pond!!

Dave Shutter

NAS Jax to Europe...how long does that take in a P-3? How about from Jax to Hawaii? Does she have the legs for that or do you tank?

Jeez, you get more hours in one DET then Matt will probably get in a month at his FRS!!

D

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Congrats John on your orders! If you run into a jackass named LCDR Eric Bethke, tell him Frumby says Hi! You can't miss him, he's one of those suckups flying CINCPACFLEET around.

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Matt -- Ain't that the truth! But in the last year of the squadron I should rack up some PIC time, takes awhile for me to work up through those quals, "welcome aboard! here is your qual sheet, you are two weeks behind!" DOH!!

Frumby -- Thanks, glad to go back to "paradise", I enjoyed it the first time around, should be fun again this time, especially with more $$ in my pocket, at times being an E4 and E5 in Hawaii wasn't too fun, damn cost of living! We should find out which squadron we are going to within the next three weeks, and in turn find out how long to my first P3 Squadron deployment! Always fun running into people that don't know you and saying someone says "hi!", and they try and figure out how the hell you know them, etc.. LOL

Dave -- I don't know the exact time for across the pond, I am sure I will become very familiary with the details when we do the planning, but from what I have heard we just go north up the coast, then across the pond. Will give more detail later. Pretty much heard that coming back from HI to the mainland is a blast with the jet stream, especially if you get a fast moving one, getting some helacious ground speeds.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can tell you how long it takes to get across in a cruiser doing 30 kts. But then again, you probably don't want to know that.

--Steve Wilkins

Dave Shutter

Actually Steve, I have always been curious how long it takes ships to cross, since I'll most likely be on one type or another.

D

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Okay, back to my ORIGINAL topic... Here's my report on the altitude chamber excursion:
quote:
Wednesday, March 07
1745: Arrived at Auburn/Opelika Airport, proceeded to preflight N984RA.
1812: Obtained IFR clearance to UBS, as filed.
1813: Departed AUO for UBS (Lowndes County Regional)
1941: Arrived UBS, dropped gear at Jeff Shackleford's trailer, who lives on the airport grounds (hey, this is Mississippi).
1953: Dinner at the Catfish House.
2210: Arrive at some bar, where the locals proceed to buy us shots of Jagermeister. After a warm-up session (okay, 3), I proceed to whip them in a couple friendly games of pool.
0015: Depart bar for Jeff's.
0115: Sleepy time.

Thursday, March 08
0530: Alarm clock went off too early.
0535: Wake-up.
0536: Shower.
0547: Breakfast, consisting of two prepackaged slices of banana nut bread. Yech.
0631: Depart Jeff's trailer.
0701: Arrive at Columbus AFB.
0730: Commence classroom session. Briefing by SSgt Steve Bachant. Presentation on Aviation Physiology and the Atmosphere by Capt. Lance Annicelli, who is most definately not from Mississippi.
0842: Break
0855: Presentation on Respiration, Hypoxia/Hyperventilation, & Trapped Gas (Capt. Annicelli)
0945: Break
0955: Presentation on Altitude Induced Decompression Sickness, Pressurization & Decompression, & Oxygen Equipment (A1C Cedric Flowers)
1055: Break
1105: Presentation on Stress & Noise (A1C Flowers)
1135: Fitted for oxygen equipment.
1203: Lunch at the O-Club. Quite possibly the best Grilled Chicken Sandwich I've had in my life. Another participant had burritos, and I am quite thankful his comms didn't work in the chamber (he was sitting next to me) and as a result, he got moved to the other end to a station that did work.
1315: Presentation & Lab on Spatial Disorientation (Lt. Lonnie Britton)
1355: Altitude chamber briefing (TSgt William Shirley).
1405: Altitude chamber flight! The FAA profile was as follows:
Sea Level to 5000 feet MSL: "Ear Check" to make sure our ears wouldn't explode (this would flush out all those with congestion).
Descent back to sea level, sat "on the ground" for 20 minutes and watched a Discovery Channel video on USAF student pilots and the centrifuge. I took a nap.
Sea Level to 8000' (masks on, simulates cabin pressure of a commercial airliner).
8000' to FL180 (masks off, to simulate a slow decompression).
FL180 to FL250 (masks on)
FL250, where we experienced mild hypoxia. Unfortunately, there was no "Patty Cake" exercise. We were not supposed to get to the point of incapacitation (we were allowed to go that far, but it was not encouraged). We completed a worksheet, identified our symptoms, and "gangloaded the regulators."
Short debrief on our way down from FL250 to sea level.
1534: Debrief (TSgt Shirley)
1615: Arrived back at UBS, where I rotated out of my position as First Officer on "Ralph Alpha" and let someone else get some safety pilot hours.
1725: Departed via ground convoy to Auburn.
1845: Dinner at the Olive Garden in Tuscaloosa, AL.
2145: Arrived back in Auburn.

All in all, I had a blast. The base personnel were very hospitable and seemed excited to see us. Not to mention that I got to see some cool aircraft (T-37, T-38, T-1). I even got a souvenier t-shirt.

Pictures:
T-37 "Tweet"

T-37 Turning Final

T-37 Flight Line

T-38 "Talon" Flight Line

Capt. Annicelli

Lt. Col. Auten & "Dr. Evil"

Fitting Masks & Helmets (Yes! The best part!)

"Tripper" (That'd be me).

The Altitude Chamber

The Comm Panel

Edited by - Tripp on 03/13/2001 17:45:58

Status
Not open for further replies.