• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Alternate selectee primary selection rate

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I was just wondering if anyone knows how often an alternate gets selected as a primary the next selection boards if they apply.

Thanks!

ELT(SS)

I don't know for sure, but I do know it helps a lot, make sure you mention it in your personal statement this year though.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Thanks for your reply. I did update it in my personal statement. Also I was wondering if they have some kind of report to make sure they know you were an alternate the next year?

I have also been trying to register on the STA-21 site for the next year but since its already has my information I cant update it or register a new account. I e-mailed the woman that built the site and she said I should be able to do it. Anyone have these same problems?

Thanks!

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I was able to get into the site each year after I wasn't selected. But after the rework of the whole site I'd say all bets are off as to previous gouge having any weight now. Good luck in your future apps though, persistence is the key...that and sustained superior performance :D

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I was able to get into the site each year after I wasn't selected. But after the rework of the whole site I'd say all bets are off as to previous gouge having any weight now. Good luck in your future apps though, persistence is the key...that and sustained superior performance :D

For those who may wonder about the site and applying for the next year. I guess they updated the website and now have an option for those who have applied for the last year and applying for the next year.

Here is what it says on the site:

STA-21 Cycle Selection

You were selected as an Alternate in the previous cycle. You have the option to work with the data for the previous cycle or the current cycle.

Previous Cycle

Current Cycle

So there you have it. Hope it helps for anyone selected as an alternate this year.

LoneSailor

T.. if they have some kind of report to make sure they know you were an alternate the next year?

I'm more than sure they do. Not sure if you got your alternate packet from STA-21 yet, but if you read the official letter addressed to you, it will say something along the lines of "Congratulations! blah blah.. You are highly encouraged to reapply next year.." Well at least that's how my letter read.

Persistence pays off, believe it.

I was once told that 50% (if not, more) of the selects are sailors that have applied more than once for the program. If you are reapplying for the next cycle, know that you have a lead on everyone else because of your alternate selection.

Good luck.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I'm more than sure they do. Not sure if you got your alternate packet from STA-21 yet, but if you read the official letter addressed to you, it will say something along the lines of "Congratulations! blah blah.. You are highly encouraged to reapply next year.." Well at least that's how my letter read.

Persistence pays off, believe it.

I was once told that 50% (if not, more) of the selects are sailors that have applied more than once for the program. If you are reapplying for the next cycle, know that you have a lead on everyone else because of your alternate selection.

Good luck.

Unlucky for me my CCC is one of the worst people in my command. I have a feeling that that information has been in her office for some time now.

Thanks for the info though ;)

comets54

Were you an alternate for the FY 08 package? Don't count out the possibility that they might call your number still. I know someone in last years NSI class that was called up two weeks before he had to report.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Just for a report back. I did get selected this year and if someone asks, get your flight physical in ASAP if your an alternate. That is the ONLY reason I got picked off the list. I was number 6 out of 10. ;)