• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All you want to know about being a "chop" (Ask your STuPId Supply questions here)

sonnyb

Too bad they don't send first tour Chops to the boat (ie subs), that is a GREAT first tour for a Suppo, you do it all, but too many first tour Chops were failing and making mistakes that even got the COs in trouble...

Do you know if first tour supply officers are still able to serve onboard subs, or are those tours mainly for Lieutenants.The idea of serving on a sub fascinates me[8D]

supermeyers

I am a current student at NSCS Athens and I can tell you with full confidence that upon completion of the program here you must be a LTJG or ENS to receive a billet on a submarine.

sonnyb

thanks supermeyers for the reply

Also,
are sub billets hard to come by after NSCS? Are they reserved for those that finish near the top? How is NSCS? What's your typical day like?

thanks

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Supermeyers, great information, glad to see that has changed back. Gee, the Navy changes its mind on how it does things? Nah, never. I would personally recommend going to a submarine as your first tour as a Chop, the exposure and responsibility given to you will only set you up to excel for your follow on tours. Granted, it is also a double edged sword, that same chance to excel, if you don't get the job done, is also a chance for you to fail big time (hence what I was saying earlier, back in like 1995 when they stopped sending ENS/LTJG first tour chops to the boat). BUT, you have so many other sources of support, at both the Squadron, Group and TYCOM level, you end up taking on riders (other officers that are on shore duty that need XX amount of hours on boats to get their CONSUBPAY) that will ride with you for a 2 or 3 day period, and will help answer any questions or go through your shop with you to help you out. "I'm from the goverment, and I am here to help" Yeah, but they really are...
icon_smile.gif

unfUSN

SUPPLY QUESTIONS?

Just thought I would throw out any usless advice to anyone with questions about the Supply Corps.

If you guys/gals have any questions let me know.

ENS Payne, SC

Today, the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it
- Anne O'Hare McCormick

sonnyb

yes ENS Payne, got tons of questions.

First of all, how do you like being a supply officer. Is the work challenging? What type of work do you do?

How was supply school? easy? difficult? What's the Athens area like?

one more: at the end of supply school, are you allowed to choose your billet?

thanks

unfUSN

Supply is great! Although I shoudl tell you that I transfering to NFO... but to be fair I was NFO to start and had some med problems.

Supply is a wonderful community, if I had not gotten picked up by NFO I would have been happy to continue as a CHOP... with out a doubt.

I am currently the S-5 DIVO on a Command Ship... Supply types are basically the Business Mangers of the Navy. Everything from Planes, Boats, and Toilet paper involves Supply.

My job would take up a lot of space, so email me dircetly and I can give you a generla idea of all the differrent billets in Supply.

Supply school was pretty tough at first... there are a multiple tests per week and you are always taking about 4 classes at a time. Its the general Navy "fire house" effect.

Athens is incredible, especially if you are single, a lot to do and see. Great party town and terrific atmosphere.

You get your billet based on your grades and what is out there at the time you grauate... I will say this, everyone gets either their choice of home port location, ship type, or billet. In most cases you get at least 2 out of 3 of these. If you are at the top you can get what ever you want. It is a much better deal than any other community...

Take care and email me anything else you want to know... paynea@blue-ridge.navy.mil

Later
ENS Payne

There is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea.
- Joseph Conrad

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you have time, definitely post some of that other information. I know that there are others out there that for one reason or another can't go aviation, or that is not their interest, and are looking to learn more about the other communities and options that they have available.

marcb747

ENS Payne,

I have an SNFO designator and in 7th week of OCS at the moment. I'm considering switching to supply due to personal reasons. I heard that you can apply for a lateral transfer after you get a commission. How true is this? If so, how easy or difficult will it be?

Also, can anyone else with the gouge fill me in?

Thanks in advance.

mattlowery

I can tell you that a policy was just passed that anyone who tries to redesignate will be asked to leave the Navy. This is for NPQs, DORs, etc. Once you get into NFO training, if you do not complete it, you'll be asked to leave the Navy. It is not an option; it is mandatory Involuntary Release from Active Duty. Take care and good luck.

Matt

navy101

Well, what if your in a paid program and get npq'd? Does the navy loss out on all the money they invested in you?

mattlowery

No, the Navy will not let you go if you had school paid for by the navy in any way. They will get their investment back.

marcb747

Hey Matt,

What is the difference between redesignation and requesting for a lateral transfer? Are lateral transfers allowed or is it now part of the new policy that you mentioned. Can you provide me a point of reference as to where the new directive came from?

thanks!

unfUSN

Originally posted by marcb747
Hey Matt,

What is the difference between redesignation and requesting for a lateral transfer? Are lateral transfers allowed or is it now part of the new policy that you mentioned. Can you provide me a point of reference as to where the new directive came from?

thanks!

I'm not really sure what the difference is between lateral trans & redesignation. I can tell you that it is the exact same board that reviews the packages.

It might have something to do with every officer has a designator... mine was 3105 (Supply) and now I am 1375 (SNFO). I was a lateral trandfer maybe? because I went from Staff corps to an Un-restricted Line Officer.

But I am just guessing... I have never heard anyone explain the difference...

Sorry

ENS Payne

There is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea.
- Joseph Conrad

chartdk

ENS Payne,

If you're still out there on this board, I was wondering if it would be cool if I lobbed a few supply questions at you. I've been selected for the fall and have pretty much gleaned all I can off the web. Yet, I'm still full of questions.

Colin