• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All selection boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridiani

LCDR Geers,

I've heard that under the old application procedures, a candidate's application, if successively rejected from his/her top three choices, would be automatically routed to other selection boards for review. Under the new system the applicant's kit is reviewed independently by each selection board, but would it still be reviewed by other boards if not selected by one of the top three choices? For example, I've applied for SNA/METOC/Crypto. If I were a non-select for each of those communities, would my application be reviewed by other communities (NFO, Intel, etc.) or would I have to resubmit the application in order to be considered?

geerst

Stacy,

You are in possession of bad gouge. Your application for commission will be sent and reviewed concurrently by the three choices stated on your kit. Using your example, Pilot/Metoc/Crypto, if Metoc and Crypto both select you, your final selection will be the "first choice," in this case Metoc comes before Crypto. If a non-select for all three, your application is finished. You may reapply later, if you wish, with possibly new ASTB scores, more extra-curricular activity, etc. That is called a "reconsideration." Hope this helps.

OPO

Meridiani

Grrr..I hate bad gouge!
banghead_125.gif

That's the answer I suspected, and it's certainly the logical conclusion, but I had heard conflicting reports. Thanks for clearing it up.
icon_smile.gif

Brianlegg

LCDR Geers,
I'd like to jump onto this bandwagon of questions. Why the long wait right now up in Milington for selection? From what I've been reading and hearing lately is that most people are waiting for months to hear any news. Is the maybe impending war holding up the process, or is this just cyclic in nature for the boards?

Brian

geerst

Brian,

Nothing I have heard links the delay to world events.

The Navy found itself in an unprecedented position of meeting goal very early in the fiscal year for most OCS programs. Not needing new folks has caused the selection boards to convene less and less regularly, thus the long wait. Add now into the mix the fact that big Navy is trying to determine the number of officer accessions needed for FY-04, you literally have a bottleneck. No known numbers = no new selections. Selections that are pending will be for FY-04 seats in OCS, which depend upon the different communities. A pilot selected today could expect an OCS date of mid-November 2003. Hope this helps.

OPO

mattlowery

LCDR Geers,

Any feedback from you about the policy that was just released regarding OCS accessions that are being released if they do not complete initial warfare training? (assuming they are not Program OCSers) That is all the proof needed about the Navy meeting quotas in all Officer communities. I am awaiting release myself. I realized flight school was not for me, but I would not have known had I not applied. I am ready to go back to the civilian workforce, but I know there are quite a few who want to stay in that have never had experience in a civilian job. They say there is just not any room to offer anyone alternate designators if they drop initial warfare training.

By the way, what kind of real estate investments are you into?

Thanks.

Matt

Brianlegg

Sir,
Thank you for your feedback. This does take some tension off the waiting process. The hard part is not knowing what is happening and not being able to control the process.

Brian

geerst

Hello Matt,

The Navy oscillates between keeping folks in and kicking them out. When I was in flight school, if you rocked you could easily switch to Supply or Intel. A few years later at the height of the drawdown in the early 90s, you were forced out. Just a few years ago, flight-attrites were sent to the Fleet, usually on CVNs, filling aviation-related JO jobs for 3 years. About 50% laterally transferred, the others were upset at the Navy so they wanted to get out. Now I hear that has gone away. So, I am not suprised that the pendulum has swung once again. Tell your buddies: 1) Befriend an admiral; one phone call and a flight-attrite is an Intel Bubba! or 2) Run a request through BUPERS to laterally transfer to the HR community, designator 1200. This community is growing, but we do not recruit for it. Positions are filled from the inside.

As for real estate, I flip, rent, lease-option, seller-financed, all of it.

Good luck to you.

OPO

Brianlegg

Sir,
I found out today that I was a non-select for NFO and that SWO was closed. My application has been sent to AMDO as my last choice. Would it be bad form to E-mail or phone the community manager about my wishes for selection? He has called a coworker of mine for a phone interview just prior to his selection. Is this the norm for community managers to make such phone calls?

Brian

Brian

Goliath112

I was called by the AMDO community manager back when I applied to OCS last year. They usaully call people they are interested in. They are a very small community and difficult to get in too. So if they call you then that is good. BTW, I didn't get selected. Anyway good luck to you Chief.

geerst

Hello Brian,

I have never heard a community manager to call an applicant before. As to call or not, hard to say. You might call if you have something to add verbally to your application that is pertinant to the AMDO community that you think the CM should consider.

OPO

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
I was selected for AMDO in JAN and yes a LCDR here in Pax River, MD (the Community Manager) will call you for a little phone interview. He's a very nice guy, laid back and easy to talk to. They hold the board here also, or this is where it was held when my package was selected.

Chris

Brianlegg

LCDR Geers,
Thank you for your advice.

Chris,
Have you received an OCS date yet. Another instructor that works with me here is going around the November time frame. I've heard the same about the CM being very laid back and personal, that is what prompted my first question about calling him.

Brian

patbrown08

Brian,
When I was waiting to be selected for OCS, and even while I was working on my application. I contacted the CM for aviation a few times. Usually by email, and once or twice by phone. I was a Ballston Spa at the time and a CDR from Bupers came up and said it was a good idea to try to give them an idea about your motivation and to get your name in their head.
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.