• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN AIRR (RSS): a "small" issue

Ace052890

Hello everyone! For several years, I have wanted to serve as a Naval aircrewman with a rescue swimmer qualification. I am athletic, have a very strong upper body, have been a competitive swimmer and a lifeguard, and feel comfortable in the water (with and without fins). Lifting and moving my own body weight, and working up to the required fitness standards of ARSS is do-able. The challenge this C school represents is something that entices and drives me, and the AW*/AIRR community is one in which I can see myself serving passionately. However, I am a small (5 ft., 105 lbs.) female, and I realize this could put me at a disadvantage in ARSS.

My question is this: how much does size matter in ARSS?

Specifically: what "surprises" should I be aware of as a smaller person (besides the buddy tow, and possibly squats/running/lunges with a big dude across my shoulders in a fireman's carry)?

I want to make sure I am more than prepared by creating a physical training regimen that closely reflects what I will actually be doing in ARSS and beyond.

Thank you for your time to consider my message and reply, and most importantly for your service.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I worked with an AW who was tiny, but she was a cross-fit machine and didn't have any issues with the SFT. She is also a fantastic crewman and instructor. I defer to actual AWs, but I don't ever really remember seeing a fireman's carry being a big thing to worry about. It certainly isn't on the SRSS side. You will have to do the litter carry/walk.

Like you said, buddy tow may be a challenge for you, depending on who you get. But if this stuff is what interests you, go for it and don't quit.

Ace052890

I worked with an AW who was tiny, but she was a cross-fit machine and didn't have any issues with the SFT. She is also a fantastic crewman and instructor. I defer to actual AWs, but I don't ever really remember seeing a fireman's carry being a big thing to worry about. It certainly isn't on the SRSS side. You will have to do the litter carry/walk.

Like you said, buddy tow may be a challenge for you, depending on who you get. But if this stuff is what interests you, go for it and don't quit.

Thank you for your reply, and for your words of encouragement! It does put my mind at ease that similarly small females have been successful!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The answer is you won't know until you try. Get to Pensacola, class up, and get after it. If your size was an issue then the Navy wouldn't let you even try. Are you going to face unique challenges? Probably. Are you going to crush them and earn respect because you're a tiny badass? It's up to you.

Good luck.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Being a rescue swimmer is all about technique. If you can handle the PT and pool, you'll be fine. There are LOTS of swimmers who have had to make rescues of folks who were significantly larger than they were. "Assess the situation, in close, in control, cross-chest carry" . . . . . or something like that :)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I was an Aircrewman before I commissioned. Most of my A-school instructors were SAR swimmers. They were all different sizes from a 5'2" little Filipino guy, to a huge fucking tree. The only thing they had in common was the ability to work hard and take instruction.

Pickle

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I've known 2 female aircrew about your size in the rescue swimmer community; both were great and were pretty physically tough. Not butch, but could hold their own. I should rephrase - one wasn't an AW - she was a flying HM, but still did all the PT events with the swimmers.