• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

air sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

piper

I am pursuing the path of becoming an aviator in the USMC. SO far everything has gone smoothly (grades, physical, test battery). But before I commit to this career path I decided that it might be good if I did some actual flying. Yesterday I went up in a little prop plane at a local air field for a "discovery flight". Everything went great and I really enjoyed the experience. THe only problem was that I experienced some "air sickness". My question is whether this problem is something that I can overcome or whether it is a physical deficieny that will prevent me from becoming an aviator.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Did you actually throw up or just not feel very good? If you're throwing up ALL THE TIME then I'd suspect there may be a problem, but if your stomach feels kinda weird I wouldn't worry about it. Air sickness is kind of a cumulative thing... the more you fly the more you get used to it. Doing stalls at first would kind of put my stomach in my throat... and even sliping and skidding... but now it's just like riding in a car, or just sitting on the couch. lol I look quite forward to those kinds of things now. The few spins I got to experience were quite amazing as well.

From what I've herd most of the problem of air sickness comes from accelerated maneuvers. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. (But, I guess the key is... did you have fun?! lol)

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

Mikeman02

Well I have read somewhere that if you get "air sickness" at the flight school, they will give you some medicine to take that will make you feel better in flight, but after a wile if you are still haveing problems you could be dropped---but that is rare. Dont worry about it because others will prob. be sick to. Good luck

Mike

piper

I did not throw up but I sure felt like it (I probably could have but I am quite prideful). But I really had a good time up until the point that I felt sick. I am going to get up in the air again soon and see what happens. Thanks for the insight and the versus guys.

flyin canuck

piper,

did you worry about getting airsick prior to the flight? prior to becoming sick?

From what i've heard, much of airsickness is in your head. No, not so much your inner ear, but in your mind. i.e. if you worry about being airsick, you probably will be. Therefore, if that is the case, the best thing you can do is not think about being airsick. True, its easier said than done. My best advice would be to spend your time in the plane thinking about flying, and not the sickness.

and since that's what you'll be doing when your training, you'll probably get over it quite easily.

wali

One thing I can tell you by experience that flying in a cessana is a very different experience than flying in a figher. I spent two years in AFROTC and I got incentive ride in an F-16CJ "Wild Weaseld." I also, logged 12 hours with the Civil Air Patrol.
I did not get sick in the F-16 (other than the occational blackouts) I was just fine and it's definitely more fun to be in a fighter than a cessana. With CAP, we flew the Cessana 172SP and it can be a different experience each time. Main reason is, I think, that it is too damn small and light and, therefore, affected more by turbulence. I even felt sick sometimes when there was a lot of low altitude turbulence so don't feel bad. Try flying a bit more. However, if it happens everytime, time after time, you may want to see a Flight Surgeon.

flyin canuck

Geez Wali!

some of the best training you can get is in a light a/c being bumped around by mid-summer convective turbulence!

For instruments, there's no better way to learn than getting bumped around in a light plane, like a 172. When you constantly have to correct your altitude cause you just got bumped up 50ft...now your in stable air....booom! up 100ft...now your in a downdraft...loosing alt....boom!.....you get the picture. Basically, after experiencing that, the smoothness of calmer air, or a larger and faster a/c is a breeze to deal with!

And for aircraft control, there's no better way to improve that skill, and begin to build formation skills, than trying to keep a glider in position on tow on a bumpy day.

Canuck
(envious of the F-16CJ ride....)

Edited by - flyin canuck on 07/27/2002 14:05:37

Status
Not open for further replies.