• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force to Navy?

SWAGflyer

to BE, or to DO?
Hello all,

A bit about me: prior C-17 flyer at Pearl Harbor, now a T-6 IP at Laughlin AFB. I’ve got one more year here in Del Rio, TX, but C-17 guys/gals like me are getting involuntarily extended here. I flew T-1s in UPT and I’m about to pin on O-4 early next year, I’d like to serve full 20 years AD (I know, crazy).

I guess my question(s) are:

Has anyone here gone from the AF to Navy?

What kind of airframe opportunities are there for guys like me to cross over?

Any opportunity for something pointy & fast?

Thanks for the inputs!

-SWAG

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Hello all,

A bit about me: prior C-17 flyer at Pearl Harbor, now a T-6 IP at Laughlin AFB. I’ve got one more year here in Del Rio, TX, but C-17 guys/gals like me are getting involuntarily extended here. I flew T-1s in UPT and I’m about to pin on O-4 early next year, I’d like to serve full 20 years AD (I know, crazy).

Thanks for the inputs!

-SWAG

Going AF to Navy active duty isn't as common and is a bit more difficult, mainly due to the career progression the Navy tries to force everyone into. Going active AF to reserve Navy is more likely and I've known guys who've done just that. You could then apply for the FTS program in the Navy (somewhat similar to the AGR program) and make it to 20 years. PM if you want some details.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^ What @insanebikerboy said.

If getting a 20 year retirement is a dealbreaker and you want to get it by retiring out of the Navy, then that is pretty much the only way to do it. Getting picked up for FTS is a crapshoot when you look at it over a ten year period though, with opportunity from very difficult to wide open.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Hello all,

Thanks for the inputs!

-SWAG

Come be a T-6 reservist. Apply for FTS. Fly the sexiest single engine turboprop in Naval Aviation.

Delay getting your seniority number by a mind numbingly long time.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
But if you go FTS, isn’t there a chance they send you to a NOSC OSU to be the Admin O?

If you go FTS aviation you will get at least one tour in a flying squadron. Depending on your rank when you switch, you have a good chance of getting at least two flying tours, maybe three.

That said, everyone will eventually have to do a non-flying job and yeah, NOSC admin is one of them. Luckily in the FTS community, a lot of those types of jobs are taken by guys who are setting themselves up for a specific location/purpose after the Navy. So, it’s not likely a regular aviator would go there unless they asked to.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know an IST direct to FTS is possible, but the only guys I’ve known who’ve done it were Marines. I’d say you’ve at least got a fair case to be made going to VRs or VTs as an FTS.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
AF active to Navy Reserve here. The interservice transfer took 10 months and was a pain in the ass.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
There was a note out recently calling for volunteers from the SELRES ranks to return to active duty. Cant imagine there being very many takers for that. But point being, just like the AF, theyre hurting for pilots.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I’m considering Navy to Air Force and when I’m home I’ll research it further. What’s your reason for leaving the Air Force?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was a note out recently calling for volunteers from the SELRES ranks to return to active duty. Cant imagine there being very many takers for that. But point being, just like the AF, theyre hurting for pilots.

A Navy recall to AD? What message was that?