• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force collision w/ crop duster

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Tuesday, January 18, 2005

(01-18) 16:10 PST FREDERICK, Okla. (AP) --

An Air Force training jet and a plane used to dust crops collided Tuesday over southwestern Oklahoma, killing the crop-duster pilot, authorities said.

The T-37 training jet from Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls, Texas, struck the ag plane over a rural area southeast of Frederick, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman John Clabes said.

The burning wreckage fell into a field. By mid-afternoon, the crash site had been cordoned off by military personnel.

The pilot of the crop-duster was killed in the crash, which was reported around 11:30 a.m., said Jimmie Goodin, a dispatcher for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol in Altus.

The ag plane was being flown from its manufacturer to its new owner in South Dakota, said a spokesman for the Texas manufacturer, Air Tractor.

The two Air Force pilots aboard the jet, which was assigned to the 80th Flying Training Wing, parachuted to safety and suffered minor injuries. Officials at the Air Force base said a nearby land owner picked them up and helped them get medical care.

A base spokesman said he did not know what caused the collision, which happened at about 5,000 feet.

The National Transportation Safety Board was to investigate.

The Air Force pilots were identified as Capt. Christopher S. Otis and 2nd Lt. Roderick V. James. Officials did not release their ages or hometowns.

In 2002, two T-37 training jets collided about 80 miles east of Frederick while flying in close formation. No one was injured. Base officials at the time said that it was the first accident involving the training jets since 1978.

The Air Force trains American and NATO pilots on the two-seat, twin-engine T-37s at Sheppard.

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/01/18/national1816EST0720.DTL

So, is this pretty much the end of his training?

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
fc2spyguy said:
So, is this pretty much the end of his training?

Not necessarily. Depends on the results of the investigation that they do.

Those crop dusters can be a real menace (no transponder, no radios, not really looking out for traffic). Still, I guess us students can be real menaces too sometimes.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The crop duster was being ferried out of state, it wasn't spraying crops. All kinds of good info over at baseops.net on this incident.

FYI, current and future SNAs, a mishap during training doesn't always mean you are out of the program. I have 2 buddies who had relatively serious mishaps as students(one gear up landing with an IP and another attempted touch and go resulting in runway departure on a solo, both pilot error, and no smart@sses, neither was me) who went on to sucessful Fleet tours. (oh yeah, I'm not gonna elaborate on either of those stories, don't bother to ask)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Students flying with instructors are almost never held responsible for mishaps unless they did something blatant.

Brett

thrillseeker121

Just another reminder why we pilots need to always be looking out the cockpit window...you never know what is coming your way. My instructor reminded me of that when we flew about 700ft above another aircraft. ALWAYS be on the lookout!

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Back in '92, an A-6E from VA-95 hit a cropduster on a low level in WA state. Both crew ejected OK. The cropduster pilot was in transit at 200' with a full load of chemicals. He was flying a Grumman Ag-Cat and actually survived though he had external and internal (lungs) chemical burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.