• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1W (Turkey) shootdown

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Yes, it is an Army thing. I was just pointing out that the Army avoids modifying all of their aircraft by doing it that way. When I was in the Navy, they did not do it that way. Based on your post, is it safe to assume the Navy still does not do it that way? What about the Navy medevac detachments that were in Kuwait? Did they ever leave their aircraft in theater?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Isn't that an Army thing? I thought all Navy units deployed with and brought their same aircraft home with them.

P-3 squadrons usually pick up most of their birds in theater and turn them over when they leave because weren't enough airframes suitable for the missions assigned after the great redstripe or the second one...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Conjecture that the tail rotor hit might have been a result of a malfunctioning rocket that the helo itself was firing, or friendly fire from the wingman employing rockets behind lead. Hard to really tell from the video, but it's within the realm of the possible.

jmcquate

Contributor
Looks like what Brett said or a catastrophic failure. You can see a TOW, and I didn't see a TOW, and TOWs aren't very good at hitting a fast moving target.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Looks like what Brett said or a catastrophic failure. You can see a TOW, and I didn't see a TOW, and TOWs aren't very good at hitting a fast moving target.

It's a legitimate tactic for Helos. We're slow as hell. Tanks can maintain good tracking solutions on us with their main guns. That video looks like the Hind had a rod ejection or ejecta debris from employing rockets hit his tail rotor. Those also do happen to us although they are very rare.