• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Waiver for SNA

steelefx4

Here is my background:

27 right now...turn 28 in DEC 2011...obviously 29 in DEC 2012.

I'll have 9 yrs active duty, IS1(EXW/SW/AW/MTS), this OCT, and will complete my degree in FEB of 2012. Putting me at 28yrs +4 months when I apply. I currently have a GPA of 3.6+ (awaiting another 4.0 grade to post)...expecting to finish around the 3.6 GPA as I am going to take 4 classes right when I get back, and then my final 5 classes at once directly following that in order to finish my degree.

I haven't taken the ASTB yet.

I am 9 classes from completing my BA in Intelligence Operations from AMU. I have been all but stopped the last year in doing classes because of 2 back-to-back combat deployments with SEAL Team FIVE and currently with SEAL Team ONE. (SEP2010-MAY2011 w/ Team FIVE & JUN2011-NOV2011 w/ Team ONE). Otherwise I would have already completed my degree and probably submitted my OCS package by now. I did manage to max out TA and knock out 16 credits in between deployments as well as CLEP another 9.

My fall back (if I can't get a waiver and/or a non-select for NFO) is going to be Intel.

I was going off the 1420.1A which had the age waivers of 4 years for active duty for both SNA/SNFO and with the 1420.1B now it's just for SNFO and there is only a 2 year waiver available for SNA.

I will probably submit the waiver with my CO's endorsement stating the reason I am a year late applying is because of the combat deployments and both of them being in remote areas that I didn't have enough access to computers to complete any college classes. This is a rare occurance that an UNCLASS computer is not occupied right now!!!

Jake

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Here is my background:

27 right now...turn 28 in DEC 2011...obviously 29 in DEC 2012.

I'll have 9 yrs active duty, IS1(EXW/SW/AW/MTS), this OCT, and will complete my degree in FEB of 2012. Putting me at 28yrs +4 months when I apply. I currently have a GPA of 3.6+ (awaiting another 4.0 grade to post)...expecting to finish around the 3.6 GPA as I am going to take 4 classes right when I get back, and then my final 5 classes at once directly following that in order to finish my degree.

I haven't taken the ASTB yet.

I am 9 classes from completing my BA in Intelligence Operations from AMU. I have been all but stopped the last year in doing classes because of 2 back-to-back combat deployments with SEAL Team FIVE and currently with SEAL Team ONE. (SEP2010-MAY2011 w/ Team FIVE & JUN2011-NOV2011 w/ Team ONE). Otherwise I would have already completed my degree and probably submitted my OCS package by now. I did manage to max out TA and knock out 16 credits in between deployments as well as CLEP another 9.

My fall back (if I can't get a waiver and/or a non-select for NFO) is going to be Intel.

I was going off the 1420.1A which had the age waivers of 4 years for active duty for both SNA/SNFO and with the 1420.1B now it's just for SNFO and there is only a 2 year waiver available for SNA.

I will probably submit the waiver with my CO's endorsement stating the reason I am a year late applying is because of the combat deployments and both of them being in remote areas that I didn't have enough access to computers to complete any college classes. This is a rare occurance that an UNCLASS computer is not occupied right now!!!

Jake

Do you have a question?

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I didn't really see a question in your post, but as far as the age waiver goes...2 years past 27 for pilot and 4 years past 27 for NFO. You don't actually submit the age waiver request with your package, you send a request to PERS 43 and they give you the waiver before you apply. You don't need a reason for the waiver, they just pretty much give it to you if you have the correct amount of active duty time before you turned 27. They will then send you a fancy letter saying you have been approved for the waiver and that is what you submit to the board.

steelefx4

Probability of getting an age waiver given I'll be applying 6-8 months prior to turning 29.

I don't know how long it takes to get a class date (PRD is 12/12 from SEAL Team FIVE)...which puts me at 29yrs old...I could potentially transfer early because we will be in workups for the coming deployment.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I'd say start getting ready for the ASTB and getting your application together ASAP. Based on your timeline, you'll likely have to get selected at whenever the next board is (which it sounds like will be January at the earliest). With the boards up in the air, however, no one could tell you with any certainty if you'd get picked up in time to make it for SNA. That goes on top of the normal uncertainty that comes with a message board evaluating if you're competitive.

I will say your background is somewhat similar to mine. I was a civilian when I applied, got out as an E-5, 3.75 GPA, and was 26 at the board. My ASTB wasn't as good as many others I've seen picked up, and I believe my LOR's from those in Special Forces (I'm not saying the board is swayed by the SpecOps community, but it certainly doesn't hurt if it sounds like you're a standout in that type of alpha dominated community) is what put me over the top (especially an absolutely amazing one from a former CO who was working in the Officer and the Assistant SecDef for SpecOps/Low Intensity Conflict).