• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Dog

Geerst,

I have been trying to find out information from recruiters and just keep getting the runaround. Here’s my situation. I am 27 years of age right now (DOB: 9/29/75). I will be graduating from college in May 2003. At that time I will be 27 years and 7 months of age. I’ve spoken to some recruiters that say that I’m already too old, while others assure me that it will not be an issue. I’m just wondering if you can offer any further insight on this issue.

I also spoke with a recruiter who said that currently there is such a backlog of pilots, that even if I did get accepted I would have to wait around one to two years before going to OCS. Is this true?

I will be graduating with a science related degree with a GPA between 3.20 – 3.25. I hold a private pilot’s license with about 50 hours of flight time. Obviously, the more hours the better, but would it make a huge difference to obtain a multi-engine or instrument rating? Or, would it be more beneficial to just accumulate as many hours as possible?

My ultimate goal is quite a few years off. I would like to eventually be accepted into the astronaut program. Obviously, there are a couple of routes to reach that goal, but becoming an aviator in the military seems most likely the best route. I’m not sure if I’m going to get an objective answer to this question, but are there any advantages or disadvantages to pursuing aviation in the Navy vs. the Air Force or Marines?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer

Rainman

pilot
I was in same boat a few years ago. Navy flat out told me "too old" without prior enlisted service. Marines granted age waiver. If you can pass 1st Class PFT, can keep up with the youngsters at OCS, and have all the other numerous qualities of a leader of Marines. .that may be an option for you.

Differences? numerous. . but same flight training. As a Marine Second Lieutenant you'll spend 6 months in Quantico learning to be a provisional rifle platoon commander and how to properly "hurry up and wait." Call in artillery, blow stuff up. . livefire weapons and write 17 page patrol orders. . .

Dave Shutter

The Air Force also has modified their age limit to 30 for pilot the last time I checked, and with a science degree and a PPL an AF recruiter will actually talk to you with a straight face. Worth a look. As for the Recruiter who told you "it's not an issue", don't be surprised when after applying he calls with the "surprising bad news" that you have to settle for your second or third choice. Sorry.

Freaky Dog

Thanks for the advice. I've looked at both the Air Force and Marines as options as well. I am not currently in the military, and one of my main concerns is the lifestyle change. Actually, it's not so much a concern rather than a question. I certainly expect a much different lifestyle, but I'm unsure of the differences between the branches. Obviously, being an officer is much different than being enlisted and I'm sure the Air Force is much differnt from the Marines. I'm just not sure what those differnces might be. If anyone can offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

geerst

Freaky Dog,

Sorry to take so long to respond. If you do not have prior military service, you will be too old for Navy pilot. Period. You can apply for NFO up to age 30.

It is my understanding that the majority of astronauts went through Test Pilot School at some point of their military careers. Both pilots and NFOs can go to TPS. If you dream of actually piloting the space shuttle, then you want pilot. If being a mission commander is for you, then go NFO.

As for when you would ship off to OCS, who knows!! Sometimes there seems to be no logic in the assigned OCS dates. If you were selected today, I would say Feb 2004 is probable for you.

I hope this helps.

OPO

Freaky Dog

Thanks a bunch. That is iteresting. I had not considered NFO as an option. Would you mind briefly explaining the duties of an NFO? I know what they are and what they do generally, but any additional insight would be great.

Thanks again.

Meridiani

LCDR,

Do you know whether NFOs that are accepted to TPS come predominantly from the jet community, or are they from props as well?

geerst

Freaky Dog,

Please send me an e-mail link and I will send you a detailed Word doc on NFO.

Meridiani,

NFOs come from all communities for TPS. My favorite skipper in the whole wide world, now the commanding officer of a CVN, E-2C guy, NFO, went through TPS. And to top that off, he had a degree in sports something from the Academy!

OPO

Status
Not open for further replies.