• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AFROTC jump to NAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesty

I'm considering joining the AFROTC but wondering can I still become an officer in the Navy after I'm done with the AFROTC?

Spitfire

Well, in terms of being commissioned as an ensign straight out of AFROTC no, when you are "done" with AFROTC, you will be obligated to serve for a certain number of years in the Air Force. I suppose after that time you could lateral transfer, or go to navy OCS or something of that sort, but if you want to be a Navy officer, why not do NROTC?

Nukes Pilot Wife

As long as you aren't on any ROTC scholarship (where the military branch pays for your school) then you can do any ROTC you like without having any obligation to serve. If you receive and accept a scholarship then you are obligated to serve in that branch. What I have heard in the past is that if there's a student from one branch, say NROTC, and you are in another branch, say AFROTC, and if both students want to switch, then it's possible to do an equal exchange...because both branches will be getting a commissioned officer in the end.

Nukes Pilot Wife

When it comes down to getting commissioned, there are certain requirements that you must meet for a particular branch to commission you..ie, Naval Science classes, calc, physics, history, and computer sci requirements...so if you want to be a Naval officer, you must make sure you meet the requirements for a commission in the Navy. I dont see why you can't also participate in AFROTC, if you're curious about it, but there will be huge issues with your daily/weekly schedule as it will fill up with committments to each branch. If you want my opinion, it would look ok if you try both out your freshman year but after that, you should stick with one. If you try to juggle both throughout your college time it would look poorly upon your ability to decide (Decisiveness is a leadersip trait!), your ability to manage time could only go so far and you may be "speading yourself too thinly", and your academics (which matter most in getting you commissioned) may not get the attention they require if you fully apply yourself to both services. If you want to be in the Navy, do NROTC.

rdraider04

Proud Pilot's Wife
My SO went through AFROTC all through college and went to the NAVY out of college, he is now in OCS in Pensacola to become an officer in the Navy. My roommates boyfriend did the same thing went through ROTC and is now in the NAVY. I dont know all the details but it can be done. GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.