• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aeroflot

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the airline bubbas here... what's the deal with Aeroflot? It's just an airline you don't really hear about. Service? Safety? etc? I'm curious, especially since they seem to be flying western aircraft, which I get a chuckle out of.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
For the airline bubbas here... what's the deal with Aeroflot? It's just an airline you don't really hear about. Service? Safety? etc? I'm curious, especially since they seem to be flying western aircraft, which I get a chuckle out of.
Аэрофло́т ... i.e., "Air Fleet" ??? !!!

Chuckle ??? CHUCKLE ... ??? So you vant (sic) a "chuckle" .. ???

DA...DA, COMRADE !!!

You vant to hear about AEROFLOT: a.k.a., "The People's Pleasure" ...... :eek:

1. Service? Which one would you like to "join" ... Comrade ???

2. Safety? Remember to move it to 'off' or the AK will not shoot, Comrade ??!!

3. Etc?? Etc?? Vat does dat mean, Comrade ???

O.K. ... I have "recovered" sufficiently to respond .... "Western" aircraft ??? You can only polish the pig so much ... it's still a pig. Thank Robert S(trange) McNamara --- former Vietnam vet, World Bank President --- for the "startup" money and credits to bring "western" aircraft into the formerly borsch-dominated world of flying pigs, cattle, peasants, Babushka's complete with wart and hair on the chin, and Army generals to places you don't want to talk about in your polite society .... :eek:

Since 1953 there have been 127 accidents involving Aeroflot aircraft and 6875 fatalities --- that's 6875 fatalities --- (plus @ 20 people killed on the ground). Good News: There have been no fatal accidents since 23 March 1994 (where 75 people were killed when an Aeroflot Airbus crashed in Siberia after the pilot allowed his 15-year-old son to land the aircraft ..... BUT HEY !!!!

Who's counting ????? :eek:

And we will just "overlook" the incident @ 10 years ago when Boris and Co. started flying to the land of the Great decadent PX (the US) and came into SEATAC @ 1000' AGL for a 15 minute NORDO "fly-over" of Seattle while Boris and Co. attempted to gain a visual on the airport.

But HEY !!!!f

They landed safely .... :)

And who's counting ????? :eek:

LOTs of progress, however .... from the time when their crews brought Vodka with them for barter and took back cases of toilet paper to the Workers' Paradise and ...... when one of their Kaptain-pilots told me in Anchorage that his plane .... an Ilyushin something-or-other-converted-transport-bomber .... was ... to quote my new Rooskie friend:

"how you say ??? A PIECE OF SH!T !!! " ..... followed by gales of laughter at his new-found grasp of the American idiom.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I figured that would be your response... I couldn't imagine they'd be top tier like a US airline.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
And we will just "overlook" the incident @ 10 years ago when Boris and Co. started flying to the land of the Great decadent PX (the US) and came into SEATAC @ 1000' AGL for a 15 minute NORDO "fly-over" of Seattle while Boris and Co. attempted to gain a visual on the airport.
Wow, now THAT is fvcked up! With those kinds of skilz, I'm surprised they didn't set down at Boeing.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Yeah, no better time to figure W & B then on the take-off roll. Hey A4s, did you guys have a line speed check in the A-6, or did you have those kooky PT gauges for an engine performance sanity check on take-off?

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
....Hey A4s, did you guys have a line speed check in the A-6, or did you have those kooky PT gauges for an engine performance sanity check on take-off? Brett
Line-speed check --- ALLLLLLLWAYS (!!!) in Navy aircraft !!! Unless you're on the catapult. ;)

I learned that from day one and did it/taught it to day ... infinity. Made up quick-reference kneeboard cards in some squadrons. But it was always part of the brief, and always verbal call-out on takeoff run ...

We didn't do it in the airlines per se as it wasn't SOP and we had a very complicated set of parameters for takeoff performance + the dispatchers doing the initial computations + we would check 'em --- but I still had my own "gouge" line-speed check for everything I flew from the 3-holer to the 18 wheeler .... :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
could someone enlighten me about what a line-speed check is?

Checking, at a certain distance down the runway, that you have a certain amount of knots. Used to check the performance of your engine(s).

MasterBates

We just check hover toruqe and a sanity check to make sure the engines are not TGT limiting or close to it. (our engined throttle themselves back at a certain temp, to the point where you lose Nr)