• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice - Routes to OCS

PMPT

haha no sir. the only reason I would ever even have considered, or perhaps the only reason my recruiter would have considered this path (giving him the benefit of the doubt and not immediately assuming he's just trying to make his mission) is because I have told him of some pretty severe family and financial problems I am having at the moment. Long story short, I gave up my career - or at least quit my job - to come home and care for my dying father and to help my mother, but have been left high and dry as I'm having a devil of a time getting back into work after being laid off on NYE and the life insurance monies etc are wholly insufficient to assist my mother, let alone myself. Might potentially be without a fixed residence soon. So there is a bit of a sense of urgency for me to go and finally get things moving, but I don't want to fudge joining the military when I have wanted this for so long...

what happens to the guys that get the whammy from NAMI for eyesight etc? Are they ad-sepped? or allowed to remain in upon reclassification?

PMPT

never mind. realized I'd already told my sob story up above. sorry for the repetition.

Skinsuit

pilot
I just finished TBS in September, and we had a law guy who wanted to drop his contract to go to IOC. Being a lawyer, he could argue his case well. The XO seemed to generally support him switching, and they needed guys in IOC at the time, but it didn't happen. So, as others have said, don't take a law contract if you don't want to be a lawyer (or an air contract if you don't want to fly, etc). And, to get an air contract at TBS, you'll have to jump through the same hoops as you would pre-OCS (NAMI, ASTB, etc), but during a time when you're working 14+ hour days and going to the field for a week out of every month. It's not impossible, but I'd advise you to sign the OCS contract for specifically and exactly what you want and plan to do.

In regards to the NAMI whammy, if you're a Marine, you'll do your time. If you're Navy, it depends on a lot of factors.