• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for SNA switching to SNFO

Beefalo

I would say be happy. I got PRK and am seeing 20/20 but was told my pre-op refractive error was too high for SNA/SNFO. I was hoping they would let me slide for SNFO and I would have loved that but that didnt happen. At least you got NFO my only option maybe SWO.

Tommygun_NH

Tough break brother. I'm in the same boat (but on the green side), 20/40 but NPQ'd from SNA for a weird eye condition. I don't know yet what it's like being an NFO or even what the training is like but I do know that the SNA NPQ disappointment goes away. I switched my contract to ground after I was disqualified for SNA rather than take the NFO slot I was offered- lucky for me I came around before it was too late. I'm at NAS Pensacola now waiting for API and I couldn't be happier. I'm focused and ready to start training, and if I'm gonna be a fo then I'm going to be a damn good one! Keep a positive attitude and don't lose sight of your goals... you really think watching jets get launched from a carrier is going to feel better than actually flying inside one?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
All the NFO's telling you to "deal with it" are really swell. .

Actually, the NFO's telling him to "deal with it" also passed real world advice from some that were in the same or similar situations as the poster requested so your sarcasm (from an Aviator in a service without NFO's (anymore)) is pretty much what I expected from you.

As for the original posters question, in my era most of use dealt with the vision issue and going NFO (my pilot hopes were dashed in 5th grade so I got over it early and avoided the NAMI issue ;) ). I think you've gotten some good advice here and I don't know anyone who looks back on their career as an NFO with regrets. If it isn't what you want to do then, as others have pointed out, losing an anchor later is a possibility.

Good luck.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^

punctuation-saves-lives.jpg

Renegade One

None
As for the original posters question, in my era most of use dealt with the vision issue and going NFO (my pilot hopes were dashed in 5th grade so I got over it early and avoided the NAMI issue ;) ). I think you've gotten some good advice here and I don't know anyone who looks back on their career as an NFO with regrets. If it isn't what you want to do then, as others have pointed out, losing an anchor later is a possibility.

Good luck.
What Pugs said goes for me too...wore glasses since elementary school. Getting to spend most of my adult life as a "by gawd" Naval Flight Officer was a gift I never expected, and I not only never regretted a single day...I wish I could live each one of them over again. "Re-tread" (anchorectomy) is always a possibility...increasingly so, I gather, due to the wonders of modern eye correction technology (and the needs of the service). Just don't be a person who makes it known "I'm just doing this until I get a pilot slot." That way lies madness.
Cheers!

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I just don't want to be bitter my whole career in naval aviation, and I'm sure no body wants to work with someone like that.

That part is really up to you - take it onboard and make the best of it - as has been mentioned you're still NAVAIR and there are a lot worse places to be!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I am prior Navy, pal... so I know exactly what he is going through. Nice try, though... knocking MY service and all. Guess the fact that I offered to seek real assistance for this guy is overshadowed by your desire to bash stuff...

I note that your prior Navy service didn't have a lot of NFO influence either. FWIW I was not belittling your offer to help but instead your lack of perspective that other NFO's have dealt with this issue and offered their perspective which you simply tossed off as a whine.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spanky, nobody was telling him to "just deal with it". Sounded like all us FOs were telling him that there's a hell of a lot worse things to be than an NFO, and he shouldn't be too disappointed until he's tried it on.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
To quote some of the first responses:

"Nah man, you didn't get what you want so just quit. "\.

If you got that from this

Nah man, you didn't get what you want so just quit. :cool:

Seriously though, this situation is great practice for the rest of your career. You'll be happy as a member of the aviation community no matter what you do. Remember that the worst day flying is better than the best day afloat. Your career will be full of times where you want one thing and get another (especially during selection time). Have fun, good luck, and fly safe.

Then I would suggest you get your eyes checked. :D