• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for PCS/Living at the Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Everyone,
I am about to move to Pcola and went to my move meeting with the personal property people. They said I should store my stuff in non-temp storage while I am in school? I am an SNFO. Should I say forget that and grab my stuff and get an apt or should I stay at the Q? I am confused. They made it sound like that's what I should do. Do follow on orders to Intermediate allow for a PCS? Many questions, no answers please help. My original idea was to stay at the Q until I got settled and then get an apt. If that sounds crazy let me know. I am totally confused at this point. I have never done a move before. Any help would be appreciated.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Here is my opinion, and it is just that an opinion.
I lived in the Q during API, it was new, clean, nice and well furnished. Pcola is a nice base, so it was not like living in the slums. This was from March to the end of June this year.

That being said I am an SNA so I was only there for 3 mos. You being a SNFO are going to be there a good deal longer. If you want all of your stuff down there, then PCS and get a place out on town, if you don't care, the Q is real convienient (especially on early mornings LOL).

Anytime the Navy moves you out of the area... ie Intermediate they will PCS you, so don't worry about that part of it.

Best of luck

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not so fast bch. Not all moves are PCS. If it's a move of under 6 months, it's a TDY move. Example: API for SNAs. A SNFOs API move will be PCS since their Primary is also at NASP.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
in his case, being an SNFO anytime they move him during training will be PCS. API for SNAs is a TDY/PCS, they will still move you, just 600lbs if you are single and unmarried.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
When do you find out where you'll report to Primary? Is it right after OCS graduation, or during API? I was just wondering, because I'm married w/ kids, and if I find out I'd be at Whiting for primary, I'd probably move my family down to P'Cola (or somewhere between there and Milton) while I am stashed, so she wouldn't have to move again for Primary. Otherwise, I'll be separated from my family until the start of primary (looks like its gonna be a while, looking at the wait time). Any info is appreciated.

D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch: Yeah. I was right at 590 lbs for my move LOL.

D_mac05: You "select" your training wing when you check-in for API. Since you're married, they will automatically place you at Whiting unless you request otherwise. At least, that's how they've been doing it as of recently.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
So stay at the Q until I get a lay of the land and then move in? I am supposed to be at Pcola through primary so I should just get a place right? How do I make a reservation for a couple of weeks at the Q?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not sure if they take reservations, but just call main office and ask. If you are going to PCS move, they will only store your stuff for 90 days, but a lot of the time you can get the to extend that. If you want to get a place of your own though, it will not take you more than 2 or 3 days, there is also a Navy Lodge on base that is nice. Less hassle, but more expensive than temping at the Q.

As far as finding out where you will be going to Primary DMAC, when you check in at API you can fill out your "dream sheat" for training wing. Make sure that the LT that is in charge or Flight Management knows your situation... he has been known to put people places they did not want to be and not mention anything to them. 2 of my friends were certain they were going to whiting for primary and found out in week 4 of API that they were slotted for Corpus.

Just make sure and check when they class you up, you never know what might happen... but generally the LT is pretty good at getting people where they want to go.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I set up my stuff to go into non-temp storage that way I can always get it out if I get a place so the 90 days thing really isn't a problem. I can always call and have them haul my trash to my new apt. I am assuming that there are plenty of nice apts out there for a reasonable rate. I am heading out there around Thanksgiving to look. I report around DEC 1 so should I go earlier to secure a DEC lease or just go when I have the leave. I can always go on a weekend...Also, how does one find roomate/s if one wants them. I really don't know anybody who is heading down there and I am considering living with somebody at least through primary. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.