• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

advanced helo training time

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
About how long has does time to train take for advanced and the rag? I've heard various numbers but just curious as to the experience and input of those here.

Also, i saw some articles about NVG training. The way i read it was it was for Marines with Navy types getting it later. Is this how it works?

Thanks.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I winged 6mo ago, and made it through advanced in 6mo. I have no clue how long it's taking now.

6mo ago Marines were doing NVGs in lieu of a few night flights. Navy guys were just doing unaided night flights. Navy guys are supposed to get to do NVGs at advanced at some point, but I have no clue when.

RAG timeline depends on community. HSC is about 6mo, but that's without any OAMCM or armed helo flights, but who knows when that will become a factor at the RAG. I think HM/HC has about a 6mo RAG, and HSL and HS is a bit longer due to their tactics flights/sims.

Circle K

pilot
I'll be winging tomorrow and it took me 5.5 months. There were guys in my check-in class that took as little as 4 months, 3 weeks. If you're getting to South Field anytime soon don't expect that. We got through fast due to unseasonably great weather and a Wing push to get 2 weeks ahead for hurricane season. 18 is actually more like 4+ weeks ahead right now, which brings us to the next problem, the forever problem, money. So many people, so far ahead means that money/flight time is running out for the fiscal year. If we (hopefully) don't have any major weather delays, there will be, and already is to some extent, a slowdown in flight time. 4 day fly weeks, IPs doing doubles instead of triples, etc.

Latest rumor control on NVGs was they currently have the bare minimum of instructors to accomplish the mission, but they could. They prefer to have a few more before starting. 57's are currently getting upgraded to be NVG compatable, but again, we have enough for bare minimum not any level of comfort. If you start in FY07, and are Navy, there is a better chance you could do the training. If you're coming sooner, don't bet on it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Last year we sat on our hands for a week or so at the end of September while we waited for the new FY to start.

MasterBates

Advanced took me 4 months.
RAG has run from 7-10 months for Mayport while I have been here. West Coast rag takes longer (not sure how much) to the point LTJG HAC's are a rarity, while about 50-60% of us make it as a JG.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I just started the HSL East RAG, and on checkin they told us its running 33 weeks or so to finish. We checked in May 15 and are scheduled to finish in mid Dec.

Fatboy

pilot
I can tell you that if you are classing up for HT's in the next 3-4 months it will take you much longer than 6 months. Lots of reasons for this. Even without a hurricane things have slowed to a crawl. Time to train is "normaly" 6 months. The next 60 days will show how much of an impact this has on training.