• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ADHD medication while active duty enlisted

Bardocks

So I took 2 30 day supplies of adderall and Wellbutrin at two different times last year to no effect. I haven’t taken any medication while going to school and have a 3.0 currently. I was wondering if anyone had insight on how leinient they are on granting waivers for this kind of thing right now?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So I took 2 30 day supplies of adderall and Wellbutrin at two different times last year to no effect. I haven’t taken any medication while going to school and have a 3.0 currently. I was wondering if anyone had insight on how leinient they are on granting waivers for this kind of thing right now?

Must be cleared (by a doctor) and off both medications for at least a year in order to try for a waiver. No exceptions.

The standards don’t really change for enlisted.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Must be cleared (by a doctor) and off both medications for at least a year in order to try for a waiver. No exceptions.

The standards don’t really change for enlisted.
@Bardocks, make sure that you have full documentation with a letter from the prescribing doctor that explicitly and clearly states that you do not need the medication and that it was a misdiagnosis or something similar. This needs to be in hand before you arrive at MEPS. Otherwise it could derail your enlistment for either further testing or an overall medical disqualification.

Bardocks

@Bardocks, make sure that you have full documentation with a letter from the prescribing doctor that explicitly and clearly states that you do not need the medication and that it was a misdiagnosis or something similar. This needs to be in hand before you arrive at MEPS. Otherwise it could derail your enlistment for either further testing or an overall medical disqualification.
How would I go about this being it’s from an airforce PA? Do I just make an appointment and ask for them to document it as such? I’m doing fine in college so I know that it’s not what the issue was.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
How would I go about this being it’s from an airforce PA? Do I just make an appointment and ask for them to document it as such? I’m doing fine in college so I know that it’s not what the issue was.

Just talk to them and explain the situation. They may be fully aware of commissioning standards.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Yes, just like @FormerRecruitingGuru said, make an appointment or reach out to them and get the documentation. I am sure they will know what forms to use. Since they're part of the Defense Health Agency, they may have the ability to reach out and work with Navy BUMED or NAMI (Navy Flight Docs) to document specific verbiage for your needs. The USAF's standards are similar to the Navy's on this kind of thing so I'm sure they he or she will be understanding.