• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active shooter at NAS Pensacola

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Still trying to get over why someone thought this was appropriate given the trainee's religion and country of residence.

From the article it sounded like the instructor was civil service and not military, or at least not anymore.

There are tons of great civil service members in the student aviator pipelines who do fantastic work and are very supportive and personable. Then there are those who are some of the rudest, most callous and tone deaf individuals I have ever interacted with, and I spent more than a few years working in retail/customer service.

Point being I am not surprised at all that a civilian instructor behaved that way and quite frankly I've seen worse.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It probably wasn't - especially considering it probably came from (speculating here) a crusty old retiree/prior service instructor. But, it is a part of Naval Aviation culture. It was a joke, a rib, part of the inculcation of making Naval Aviators and Flight Officers.
Careful, he will now quote your last sentence out of context as the only opinion of all of Naval Aviation over at Sailorbob to slam our collective immaturity.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From the article it sounded like the instructor was civil service and not military, or at least not anymore.

From the article, he was a contractor, specifically from CAE. They're a huge government contractor and coincidentally also make most of the helo-side simulators.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
First let’s go ahead and stop the narrative that a joke made this dude post a manifesto about hating America, Jews, etc and go on a killing spree.

Second, although the instructor should have a little more tact, fuck you if you can’t take a joke. If that little bitch can’t handle a mild joke, feel free to DOR and GTFO. The last thing we need is more sensitivity training to walk on eggshells lest the dipshits that hate us anyway get their panties twisted.

HuggyU2

None
... it is a part of Naval Aviation culture. It was a joke, a rib, part of the inculcation of making Naval Aviators and Flight Officers.
It is part of the US aviation culture. And maybe some others. Not all.

Having been an IP to quite a few foreign trainees over the years, and also having "owned" the international training office at Randolph AFB when I was a Captain, I hope there is more to the story. Because an old, crusty retiree contractor that doesn't have enough SA to know it's a bad idea to personally insult a new student from a different culture early in the training program needs to find another line of work.

That said, I feel terrible for the instructor. He's probably getting dog piled and despite his lack of SA, he obviously never could have imagined this would be the outcome. His actions in no way justify what that murderous little bastard did.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Has anyone seen any updates on the status of those recovering in the hospital? Hoping for speedy recoveries so they can continue on their paths to wings of gold.

(I'm sure we can count on NAMI to make the process smooth sailing...?)

Last edited:

Notanaviator

Contributor

Not surprised at the decision, at least for the time being, but definitely surprised at the number. Larger pipeline of students than I’d imagined Saudi would have, even if that number combined RW/FW and AF/Navy/etc.

sickboy

pilot
Not surprised at the decision, at least for the time being, but definitely surprised at the number. Larger pipeline of students than I’d imagined Saudi would have, even if that number combined RW/FW and AF/Navy/etc.

Don't forget they spend a year or so at language school prior to API. I'd be willing to bet that number includes those guys.