• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active shooter at NAS Pensacola

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This is, quite literally, basic military discipline and training.

What kind of a leader argues against an opportunity to improve that quality in his or her subordinates?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don’t care personally about carrying concealed on base if that’s your issue.
Meh. CCW is a red herring. That’s a state certification, bases are Federal property, and there’s too much variance in standards for that to not be a staffing ORM/PPT nightmare. Try telling CA or NY politicians that someone with a WA or OH license is going to be allowed to carry onboard NASNI or Fort Drum, and watch them lose their minds.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Cause there isn’t an unlimited budget?

that when you spend more money in one place, you take to from another, and we’re so undercapitalized from 18 (!) years of war there’s not a lot of places to pull from.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'm late to the part here and can't say my mind is made up either way yet, however, I'll relay what I think was some of the most pathetic training in my life - get home from deployment, turns out we need to do an "active shooter" drill in our building (3 squadrons in the building). Ours gets picked to have the "shooter." So the MA's "red team" comes out to brief us all, how basically we are supposed to slam the doors, shut and lock them, and then go hide under our desks while wait for security. When they come we have to lay on the ground and be all cooperative, etc.

The whole time the "shooter" is running around during his rampage, the ATFP officer is walking around with him with a clipboard like he's grading something, someone, or some people, (+I think he was supposed to take names of anyone that decided to do the "fight" portion of run/hide/fight) and someone is supposed to call some drill number for the "blue team" MA's to come... sure.

Two things distinctly stuck out in our mind: Our CMC took the drill way too seriously, no surprise there; and I couldn't believe this was the Navy's actual plan.

I never understood why our own MA's assigned to the squadron were not armed and I'm not sure that I still do. We under utilize that resource stupidly making them be the Geedunk guys and the MWR Mess Treasurer or something. If we aren't even going to arm our own security force, I can't imagine we are going to arm any other rating.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm late to the part here and can't say my mind is made up either way yet, however, I'll relay what I think was some of the most pathetic training in my life - get home from deployment, turns out we need to do an "active shooter" drill in our building (3 squadrons in the building). Ours gets picked to have the "shooter." So the MA's "red team" comes out to brief us all, how basically we are supposed to slam the doors, shut and lock them, and then go hide under our desks while wait for security. When they come we have to lay on the ground and be all cooperative, etc.

The whole time the "shooter" is running around during his rampage, the ATFP officer is walking around with him with a clipboard like he's grading something, someone, or some people, (+I think he was supposed to take names of anyone that decided to do the "fight" portion of run/hide/fight) and someone is supposed to call some drill number for the "blue team" MA's to come... sure.

Two things distinctly stuck out in our mind: Our CMC took the drill way too seriously, no surprise there; and I couldn't believe this was the Navy's actual plan.

I never understood why our own MA's assigned to the squadron were not armed and I'm not sure that I still do. We under utilize that resource stupidly making them be the Geedunk guys and the MWR Mess Treasurer or something. If we aren't even going to arm our own security force, I can't imagine we are going to arm any other rating.
Do your MAs not go work TAD for base security when your unit is not deployed? I thought that was standard with MAs and CSs.

sickboy

pilot
Do your MAs not go work TAD for base security when your unit is not deployed? I thought that was standard with MAs and CSs.

That was not the case in my fleet squadron. We had them working in the geedunk and 1stLt Office. I tried to get them TAD when I was the divo and got shut down by the front office.

BigRed389

None
Why even have multiple MAs assigned if they’re not running an actual ATFP program?

An O5 command equivalent CRUDES unit gets jus the one senior enlisted MA as the CMAA. And to be honest, ATFP really falls under the FP Officer to run overall, the CMAA usually only has to worry about the hands on training for qualifying sentries and dealing with the Military Justice/Discipline side of things.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was not the case in my fleet squadron. We had them working in the geedunk and 1stLt Office. I tried to get them TAD when I was the divo and got shut down by the front office.
Interesting. What kind of squadron? IIRC, carrier based squadrons are manned with MAs and CSs so they can augment ship's company while squadrons are embarked, and the NAS while ashore. Also, I've never seen a squadron run geedunk or 1st LT division in a fleet VAQ squadron (I think the FRS runs a geedunk).

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. What kind of squadron? IIRC, carrier based squadrons are manned with MAs and CSs so they can augment ship's company while squadrons are embarked, and the NAS while ashore. Also, I've never seen a squadron run geedunk or 1st LT division in a fleet VAQ squadron (I think the FRS runs a geedunk).
MAs got pulled back to the base 2ish years ago and are out of squadron manning. CSs remain.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MAs got pulled back to the base 2ish years ago and are out of squadron manning. CSs remain.
There has been talk of that several years ago, but as of one year ago in Whidbey, MAs were still getting orders to squadrons. Ultimately, I think removing both rates from squadrons is a good thing. I guess progress is slow to hit the PNW.

exNavyOffRec

Your drill couldn't be any worse than mine at work, I work in a office building with glass doors, really nothing to stop a person that wants to shoot the place up, before the drill they said if they call an active shooter just to hide, uh, hide where? a few people have access to a storeroom but it is surrounded by drywall, so that provides no protection. I am pretty sure if someone wanted to come into our office and do bad things it would not end well.

and we have had 2 shootings in my parking lot in 8 years, granted both suicides but one was upset with the company and it could have gone another way.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Someone decided to shoot up a church in Texas and was confronted and dispatched by armed members of the congregation. Sad that people were killed, but fortunate that good guys with guns stopped a massacre.

The video of the attack. Looks like he shot one congregant as he tried to draw, then got dropped with one head shot. Numerous others draw weapons as well.

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Someone decided to shoot up a church in Texas and was confronted and dispatched by armed members of the congregation. Sad that people were killed, but fortunate that good guys with guns stopped a massacre.

The law changed to allow carrying in churches back on 1 Sep, so pretty recently. Scary to think what would've happened if that guy didn't have a gun.

And not to sound macabre, but the dude that put the shooter down dropped him with a headshot from 15-20 feet away in about 5 seconds after the shooter's first shot. Cool as a cucumber.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The law changed to allow carrying in churches back on 1 Sep, so pretty recently. Scary to think what would've happened if that guy didn't have a gun.

And not to sound macabre, but the dude that put the shooter down dropped him with a headshot from 15-20 feet away in about 5 seconds after the shooter's first shot. Cool as a cucumber.
Yep. Crazy uncle Joe made sure to call out Abbott for signing that bill into law. Citizens empowered to defend themselves: totally irrational. Sitting in “gun free zones” awaiting slaughter: totally rational I guess. Good job Joe, that’s not even close to the dumbest thing that’s come out of your face in the last few months.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/bide...book&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mattwalsh