• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Duty Pay?

snake020

Contributor
Year 1 - ODS, 6 weeks, Newport, RI. You may also have to complete your 2 week AT to maintain a "good year". You may be able to get an AT waiver, but I am not sure. You will also have to work out a way to maintain your drills, 24 days worth.

The irony here is the required LOU says you're not to do AT unless you're qual'd.

This rule can be broken though because I was on ADSW for five months prior to getting my qual. Helps to have a Vice Admiral involved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 9.56.38 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 9.56.38 pm.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 13

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Geez...give the guy a break. You’re kinda moving the goal post here. You told him to ask the recruiter, and when it turns out he did ask the guy, you basically tell him to ask harder.

Not trying to call the OP out or being hostile. Simply some advice that will better help him/her and the recruiter.

Not trying to call the OP out or being hostile. Simply some advice that will better help him/her and the recruiter.
Fair enough. I was a nuke, so you KNOW I certainly didn’t push my recruiter for enough answers. I could have used that advice “oh so many” years ago.

Rudy.30

@Curious548 you mentioned you were going for Intel, I believe that school is in VA Beach (Dam Neck). You will only be in Newport for 5 weeks of ODS where, like @Reservist said, they will put you up in a dorm like setting (2 per room). Once you complete ODS you will return home and then work on getting orders to Intel school. While in Newport for ODS you do not get BAH or BAS, but if memory serves me correctly you do get per diem, but you are eating at the chow hall everyday 3 times a day so you have no opportunities to spent per diem with the exception of weekend liberty.

Sir, Respectfully this is incorrect.

The OP is married with children and they will not be residing in military housing during his ODS training therefore he will be entitled to BAH, BAS as well as FSA ($250), as he will be away for more than 30 consecutive days.

If the OP is single then he would not be entitled to all of these benefits.

@Curious548 It is good to plan ahead but at the end of the day getting accepted comes first. I understand the money factor and wanting to get as much info as you can but if you really want this you, and more importantly your wife, will figure out a way to make it work.

Best of luck to you!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The OP is married with children and they will not be residing in military housing during his ODS training therefore he will be entitled to BAH, BAS as well as FSA ($250), as he will be away for more than 30 consecutive days.
Folks, unless this has changed, when you attend ODS, you will live in the dorm at Newport in Training Country. You will also be marching to/from and eating all meals at the chow hall.

This is an active duty school about as close to enlisted boot camp as they can get.

Curious548

Thank you everyone for your comments/help! This has been very informative, especially given all of the changes since my last application (and the paucity of information my recruiter has been able to provide hasn't helped matters). There's certainly a lot to think about - I can see how 25 weeks of training in the first two years would cause ascensions to drop, as that's a lot to ask of employers/family above and beyond everything else. Seems a lot to ask in a country where there's still a struggle to even get maternity/paternity leave, but perhaps that's part of the point.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
@Curious548 you mentioned you were going for Intel, I believe that school is in VA Beach (Dam Neck). You will only be in Newport for 5 weeks of ODS where, like @Reservist said, they will put you up in a dorm like setting (2 per room). Once you complete ODS you will return home and then work on getting orders to Intel school. While in Newport for ODS you do not get BAH or BAS, but if memory serves me correctly you do get per diem, but you are eating at the chow hall everyday 3 times a day so you have no opportunities to spent per diem with the exception of weekend liberty.

Couples points from recent experience that might help

I went to ODS in OCT-NOV FY 20 - I got BAH and BAS. ODS was 5 weeks. You don't have to do AT in addition to ODS for a good year. You can do a two week AT in addition to ODS and you have right to do it, but ODS meets your two week AT requirement for a good year.

Some people don't get BAH - I'm not sure why. I met a few that didn't. As a rule of thumb and from what I did gather - if you have a family you get BAH and BAS at ODS.

Just recent experience. I don't read guides and all that other stuff unless I need too - but this gouge is three months old and pretty good tribal knowledge from someone that was there at the very first mixed reserve active ODS class.

No one got per diem or at least serious per diem at ODS. You can file a travel voucher for miles to and from airport and for miles for the trip if you drive to ODS. You can also get reimbursed for the meals you pay for at the chow hall so keep your chow hall receipt. I got back more than I paid to the chow hall - it might have been some kind of per diem allotment - I don't know. But it wasn't big bucks for the travel voucher though - I made about 300 bucks over what I paid on the voucher.

Last edited: