• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Duty Pay?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Where do I find these decks you've previously posted that show the health of the RC IDC communities?
I'd have to go look. I know the receive IP health because I spoke with the Reserve community manager up at PERS when I was flirting with going from VTU to SELRES.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Dude... Reserve IP's are receiving PCS orders to the Active Duty IP Basic School which is over 140 days. Attending the school is a requirement. It's already started to impact DCO IP accessions.

Same for SUPPLY DCOs who get selected to attend the AC SUPPO school, 5 months PCS'ed to Newport, RI. I requested this option, but was told there wasn't funding.

ABMD

Yes, this is a sh*tty situation for new IP accessions and I was told we are seeing a decline in accessions.

Heck, we are undermanned at the O4 level at 86% and they are offering me a $10k bonus if I go from VTU to SELRES.

Not to thread jack, but could the reduction in accessions be tied in any way to the elimination of the 2-week DCOIC? That has to turn people away, especially those that don't have a supportive civilian employer.

OP, have you looked into your civilian employers policy on military service with regard to mobilization and deployment? There are company's that will pay you the difference in your civilian salary and what your base military pay is. In those instances you may actually make more money deployed.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
IMHO, reduction in accessions, at least for IP's, is due to the requirements to attend the Active Duty ODS (5 weeks) as well as Active Duty IP Basic (20 weeks) schools.

Curious548

For some reason I stopped getting thread updates - odd.

@NavyOffRec - I did ask my recruiter, but he wasn't able to provide much detail (which is why I came here). Last time I applied and went through interviews the subject of pay never came up, so I hadn't thought about it too much before.

@Reservist - Thanks! I had found that calculator and was using it to confirm my #s.

@bubblehead - Thank you for bringing that up - I had no idea there was a 20 week commitment to start, and my recruiter didn't mention it at all (even though I asked for and was given a year by year timeline). I was told that Year1 there would be 6 weeks of training, Year2 there would be 2 weeks of training, and Year3 there would be 2 weeks of training.

I'll take a look at the BAH for Newport ... does anyone know what the living costs are over there? Do officer candidates get an apartment for the 5 months, or something else?

Overall it sounds like there was a lot of information that I wasn't getting told ...

Reservist

Intelligence Officer

@NavyOffRec - I did ask my recruiter, but he wasn't able to provide much detail (which is why I came here). Last time I applied and went through interviews the subject of pay never came up, so I hadn't thought about it too much before.

@Reservist - Thanks! I had found that calculator and was using it to confirm my #s.

@bubblehead - Thank you for bringing that up - I had no idea there was a 20 week commitment to start, and my recruiter didn't mention it at all (even though I asked for and was given a year by year timeline). I was told that Year1 there would be 6 weeks of training, Year2 there would be 2 weeks of training, and Year3 there would be 2 weeks of training.

I'll take a look at the BAH for Newport ... does anyone know what the living costs are over there? Do officer candidates get an apartment for the 5 months, or something else?

Overall it sounds like there was a lot of information that I wasn't getting told ...
BAH is based off where your current zip code is - when you stay in Newport for schools they put you up. ODS is in Hall - a dorm with two officers per room who company shares bathrooms and showers.

I've never been to longer school in Newport that lasted more than 5 weeks but I suspect you might get a better set up for a five months school.

I bet someone will chime in on that part.

ABMD

@Curious548 you mentioned you were going for Intel, I believe that school is in VA Beach (Dam Neck). You will only be in Newport for 5 weeks of ODS where, like @Reservist said, they will put you up in a dorm like setting (2 per room). Once you complete ODS you will return home and then work on getting orders to Intel school. While in Newport for ODS you do not get BAH or BAS, but if memory serves me correctly you do get per diem, but you are eating at the chow hall everyday 3 times a day so you have no opportunities to spent per diem with the exception of weekend liberty.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What? Uh, for IP? No. This will be part of the paperwork you sign, acknowledging all this.

Year 1 - ODS, 6 weeks, Newport, RI. You may also have to complete your 2 week AT to maintain a "good year". You may be able to get an AT waiver, but I am not sure. You will also have to work out a way to maintain your drills, 24 days worth.

Year 2 - IP Basic, 20 weeks, Virginia Beach, VA. Same, re AT. Same, re Drills.

Year 3 - Annual Training (AT), 2 weeks. 24 days of drills.

Year 4 - .. repeat year 3

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Some edits:

Year 1 - ODS, 6 weeks, Newport, RI. You will also have to work out a way to maintain your drills, 24 days worth, or get Authorized Absences (AA) (RESPERS 1570-010) keeping in mind your Reserve requirements (PFA, GMT, PHA, etc.). If they are handing out ADT orders for ODS then that satisfies your annual AT requirement (BUPERSINST 1001.39F, chapter 13). You'll also want to keep in mind the timing of your orders vis-a-vis your anniversary year for point purposes.

Year 2 - IP Basic, 20 weeks, Virginia Beach, VA. Not sure what type of orders they are handing out for IP Basic. If they are not ADT orders then you can submit an AT waiver or perform your AT. Same as above, re, moving around your drills or getting AA's vis-a-vis your anniversary year.

Year 3 - Annual Training (AT), 2 weeks. 24 days of drills (2 days a month).

Year 4 - .. repeat year 3

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Year 1 - ODS, 6 weeks, Newport, RI. You may also have to complete your 2 week AT to maintain a "good year". You may be able to get an AT waiver, but I am not sure. You will also have to work out a way to maintain your drills, 24 days worth.

OK, drills are easy if you're on long-term orders. AA or reschedule as appropriate, taking care not to drop below 50 points for retirement.

But you can't get a bad year after what I assume is 6 weeks of either ADT or ADOS. The MILPERSMAN specifically says satisfactory participation is 12-14 days of any of those. Using AT first is preferred, since it's an entitlement. But a satisfactory year is 40-48 drills completed or AAed, and 12-14 days of either AT, ADT, or ADOS. There is no "bad year" for participation purposes if you do that. And there is no "bad year" for retirement unless you somehow don't get 50 points (probably through poorly planned long-term AAs).

If your command has plans after that for you to support with AT, sure, you can burn bridges by not supporting. But I don't see a way for the command to do something other than give you counseling and maybe a crappy FITREP.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
View attachment 24697

OK, drills are easy if you're on long-term orders. AA or reschedule as appropriate, taking care not to drop below 50 points for retirement.

But why in the world would anyone with a clue force someone to use AT after they've already done what I assume is 6 weeks of either ADT or ADOS? The MILPERSMAN specifically says satisfactory participation is 12-14 days of any of those. Using AT first is preferred, since it's an entitlement. But a satisfactory year is 40-48 drills completed or AAed, and 12-14 days of either AT, ADT, or ADOS. There is no "bad year" for participation purposes if you do that. And there is no "bad year" for retirement unless you somehow don't get 50 points (probably through poorly planned long-term AAs).
Our posts crossed as I was in the middle of updating my original post with references and it timed out so I added another post with edits.

I did not see a specific call out to ADOS automatically satisfying the AT requirement, whereas there is a specific call out to it with ADT (BUPERSINST 1001.39F, ch 13, "Periods of ADT satisfy the AT requirement.").

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our posts crossed as I was in the middle of updating my original post and it timed out so I added another post with edits.
Likewise as you can see by my edits. I guess, on further reflection, they could say "yeah, we have you slated for [exercise X]," but not executing that tasking after 6 weeks of active duty isn't "bad year" material, just "pissing off your chain of command" material at worst.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Not saying this is BS, but this is why you shouldn't just accept uncertainty from your recruiter. If something doesn't make sense, ask follow on questions. This isn't not only for you, but for future applicants he or she will be working with who possibly might have the same questions/situation.

Not saying this is BS, but this is why you shouldn't just accept uncertainty from your recruiter. If something doesn't make sense, ask follow on questions. This isn't not only for you, but for future applicants he or she will be working with who possibly might have the same questions/situation.
Geez...give the guy a break. You’re kinda moving the goal post here. You told him to ask the recruiter, and when it turns out he did ask the guy, you basically tell him to ask harder.

-you’re right. It’s his life, so I guess he’s the one that’s gonna be accountable.
-I don’t think he’s wrong though, coming here for ammo which he can then go back and ask his recruiter about.

To the OP, signing up is a big deal. It’s great, but as you’re finding out it can be tough on the family. Good luck.

exNavyOffRec

If the recruiter doesn't know the recruiter needs to find out and get you an answer as that is part of his job, this will help make him a better recruiter.