• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Duty Pay?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@Griz882 Thank you so much for the breakdown! That is exactly what I was looking for! I can run those numbers now to make sure the financials work out. I really appreciate the time you spent putting that together for me!
No worries. Good luck with your application.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Yes. As an example, all new IP accessions are given PCS orders for IP Basic school.
Not if his intake is directly to the reserves, which I think it is. He will go to school but his family will not move.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
OP isn't wrong to wonder about deployments and optempo.

There's a big split between AC's concept of the reserves (operational staffing assist) and reserve recruiting boilerplate (strategic reserves called up for dubya dubya three).

There's also a split in how the reserves are structured vice used, but that's another thread.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not if his intake is directly to the reserves, which I think it is. He will go to school but his family will not move.

I have no idea what his orders will actually be, but generally speaking, even in the Reserves, if your orders click over the magic number, you can PCS. If a member chooses not to take their family, that's on them, but the BAH will change regardless if the family goes, which could affect the overall family budget balance sheet.

exNavyOffRec

Hello All,

I am currently considering my 2nd attempt for a DCO Intel application - I waited a bit as I wanted to finish a few things to strengthen my application. Since my first attempt my life situation has changed (I now have children and my wife has stopped working), such that now the monetary compensation aspect matters a lot more than it did before.

Specifically I'm concerned with how much I will make if I'm mobilized for a year - I need to be sure that I can fully support my family, pay the mortgage and other bills, and still handle whatever expenses I'll incur while mobilized.

My understanding is that mobilization wouldn't happen until you're an O-3, but how many years of experience would you be considered to have at that point? I'm assuming under 2?

In general, where might you be mobilized to for purposes of anticipating a rough BAH allowance? I took a look at the BAH for my zip code, but I don't know if that's really indicative of anything.

Last question: when you're mobilized what expenses are you generally responsible for for yourself (housing, food, etc)? I'm guessing it may vary a bit, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to expect.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Have you addressed these concerns with your recruiter? they should be able to get you some hard info as they should know people in the unit you will be going to. Did the panel board not talk about this when you did your interview? They always did at my NRD and to be honest there were a few applicants that wanted to serve that ended up not applying as they just would be in a financial burden when they did end up mobilizing.

I would go over the pay concerns with your recruiter and get good answers before you apply again, it is imperative for you, the USN, and anyone hoping to get a DCO spot, that you get those answers.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Dude... Reserve IP's are receiving PCS orders to the Active Duty IP Basic School which is over 140 days. Attending the school is a requirement. It's already started to impact DCO IP accessions.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Dude... Reserve IP's are receiving PCS orders to the Active Duty IP Basic School which is over 140 days. Attending the school is a requirement. It's already started to impact DCO IP accessions.
OK, different than the olden days. No argument here.

That said, he doesn't have to move his family and will get PCS'd back "home." @Curious548 , reset you calculation to BAH for the school zip code for those dates you will be learning, scratch the per diem stuff, and recalculate. The rest of the information should still work.

snake020

Contributor
OK, different than the olden days. No argument here.

That said, he doesn't have to move his family and will get PCS'd back "home." @Curious548 , reset you calculation to BAH for the school zip code for those dates you will be learning, scratch the per diem stuff, and recalculate. The rest of the information should still work.

That doesn't quite work for this situation. The BAH for the local area will cover the cost of housing for the local area. If the family doesn't move, someone attending course will be on the hook for housing expenses back home out of pocket. The current situation for IPBC reservists is a crappy deal.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
That doesn't quite work for this situation. The BAH for the local area will cover the cost of housing for the local area. If the family doesn't move, someone attending course will be on the hook for housing expenses back home out of pocket. The current situation for IPBC reservists is a crappy deal.
OK, so the rule:

JFTR/U10428-E1/para. b. "Called/Ordered to ADT for 140 or More Days but Not Authorized HHG Transportation. If the member is not authorized HHG transportation (duty is not performed for 140 or more days at one location or there is a Secretarial waiver for the school IAW par. U2146-B), the member continues to receive BAH/OHA based on the member’s primary residence (at the time called/ordered to active duty)."

Is no longer in effect?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OK, so the rule:

JFTR/U10428-E1/para. b. "Called/Ordered to ADT for 140 or More Days but Not Authorized HHG Transportation. If the member is not authorized HHG transportation (duty is not performed for 140 or more days at one location or there is a Secretarial waiver for the school IAW par. U2146-B), the member continues to receive BAH/OHA based on the member’s primary residence (at the time called/ordered to active duty)."

Is no longer in effect?

It is, but that still leaves two entities needing housing at two locations with only one housing allowance. If you're PCS'ed, then the member isn't getting per diem, so he's paying out of pocket to live while the family members are covered for their original residence. It's important to understand the expenses to make an educated budget.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yes, this is a sh*tty situation for new IP accessions and I was told we are seeing a decline in accessions.

Heck, we are undermanned at the O4 level at 86% and they are offering me a $10k bonus if I go from VTU to SELRES.

AMGunner

Yes, this is a sh*tty situation for new IP accessions and I was told we are seeing a decline in accessions.

Heck, we are undermanned at the O4 level at 86% and they are offering me a $10k bonus if I go from VTU to SELRES.

Can confirm - Current living the "sh*tty situation"