• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Duty Pay?

Curious548

Hello All,

I am currently considering my 2nd attempt for a DCO Intel application - I waited a bit as I wanted to finish a few things to strengthen my application. Since my first attempt my life situation has changed (I now have children and my wife has stopped working), such that now the monetary compensation aspect matters a lot more than it did before.

Specifically I'm concerned with how much I will make if I'm mobilized for a year - I need to be sure that I can fully support my family, pay the mortgage and other bills, and still handle whatever expenses I'll incur while mobilized.

My understanding is that mobilization wouldn't happen until you're an O-3, but how many years of experience would you be considered to have at that point? I'm assuming under 2?

In general, where might you be mobilized to for purposes of anticipating a rough BAH allowance? I took a look at the BAH for my zip code, but I don't know if that's really indicative of anything.

Last question: when you're mobilized what expenses are you generally responsible for for yourself (housing, food, etc)? I'm guessing it may vary a bit, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to expect.

Thank you in advance for any help!

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

But seriously, it depends.

How soon can you deploy? I know for Supply, once you finish school and your designator changes and your MAS code is updated hypothetically you can deploy the next day. For Supply, school usually takes 18-24 months, so you aren't going anywhere before that is done. I had a guy in my class deploy as soon as he finished school. It can also depend on your unit. BTW, you aren't pinning O3 until 4 years after commissioning.

What can you expect to receive while deployed? While deployed you should get allowances for BAH, BAS, Family Separation, and other allowances, but it depends on the location of your deployment. BAH is also based on your zip code.

I'll let the Intel guys give you the straight word from the Intel side.

Curious548

Thanks for the quick reply!

How soon can you deploy?
When I spoke with a local recruiter they told me that it wouldn't be until the 3 year mark, and that I'd be an O-3. They were also not in Intel (I actually think they were in Supply) so its something I wanted to double-check. I was also unclear about how many years of service I'd be considered to have for payscale purposes. It sounds like what they told me differs from your experience, though.

BAH is also based on your zip code.
That's the zipcode of the location you're deployed at, correct? Not the location of my primary residence?

While deployed is housing/food provided, generally speaking? I've been poking online and I'm not totally clear.

Apologies in advance for these questions - I suppose they must sound fairly basic. I'm in that sort sort of comfortable yet awkward position of having a decent paying job while living in an expensive area, and would be taking a moderate to large paycut for the year I'm deployed ... which makes the math a bit tricky.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Your TBH (Training Status) MAS code is removed after you qualify as an Intel officer. You have 36 months to get this done and count on getting tagged. If you are weary of deploying don't even bother getting commissioned as an Intel officer.

In checking the recent MOB list, there are about a dozen O3 1835's who have not deployed. They are at the top of the list. Everyone one one of the other O3's on the list have MOB'd but many are back on the list again due to their MOB return date because their dwell time has lapsed. The O2 LTJG list looks about the same.

If you commission as an O1 Ensign and finish your qual in 36 months you will be an O2 LTJG.. O1 to O2 is 24 months, and O2 to O3 is another 24 months. That is, you will finish your Intel qual 12 months shy of getting promoted to O3.

Re finances. For an O3 with over 4 years you are looking at just over $100k (base pay, BAH, subsistence). For an O2 with over 3 years you are looking at over $92k. These could be more if you go the Stan.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Specifically I'm concerned with how much I will make if I'm mobilized for a year - I need to be sure that I can fully support my family, pay the mortgage and other bills, and still handle whatever expenses I'll incur while mobilized.

If you have worries/reservations about mobilizing... DO NOT APPLY. Save your spot for someone else who can. Thank you.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
If you have worries/reservations about mobilizing... DO NOT APPLY. Save your spot for someone else who can. Thank you.
Especially as an Intel officer... No way in hell I would recommend anyone go intel. The promotions to O4 suck, even for people with multiple mobilizations.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do you dump on candidates? OP is asking a question and making an informed decision. There’s nothing wrong with that. Better to know now than after signing the dotted line.

Your simplistic take is not helpful. Everyone who MOBed has had worries and reservations about the details. But we went and did it anyway because we said we would.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@Curious548, if you don’t mind sending us your zip code (or one nearby) I can work up a rough estimate on your pay. There are ,outs of considerations to consider during MOBs, but it can be figured out.

Best of luck with your new career. Intel is a critical field.

Curious548

@bubblehead - Thank you for the input! The officer I spoke to had said O3 pretty confidently, so its good to learn that might not be the case. I don't know if promotion matters so much to me; without knowing how life goes I don't know if I'd serve beyond the initial commitment. Regardless of how long I serve I'd be doing it because I feel its a way I can give back to the country, as opposed to angling for promotions/advancement. I already play that game in my civilian life.

@RecruitingGuru - Thanks for weighing in. I'm more than aware of that if I apply and am selected it be at the expense of someone else (I've already been through this process once, after all). And I think anyone with a family facing a paycut for a completely voluntary commitment would be worried about the prospect of mobilization - even without a paycut, being away from your children is not something anyone should take lightly. Given what I know about the applicant pool for Intel, I imagine that my situation isn't uncommon. But, as @nittany03 said, if I apply again and am selected I would do it because that is what I would have pledged to do.

@Griz882 I'm in the Chicago-land area. I took a look at the BAH myself for my zipcode, but I'm unclear if the BAH applies for where my primary residence is, or where I'm mobilized to. I'm also a bit unclear on where I might expect to be mobilized (i.e. is an overseas assignment or somewhere with 'hardship pay' common? Or is it more common to be at some base stateside), as I expect that also plays a big role in one's pay during mobilization.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Griz882 60061 is a zip code in chicago-land with a similar BAH as my actual zip code, for example.
You will receive BAH based on the address you are mobilized from, unless you are given PCS orders to another location when you MOB. In that case, the Navy would pay to move you to and from the new location and pay you BAH for that ZIP code.

Curious548

unless you are given PCS orders

I didn't think a reservist could be given PCS orders? How would that even work? I certainly wouldn't be moving my family/selling my home/quitting my job while mobilized.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
being away from your children is not something anyone should take lightly.
Something most people on AD deal with every day. If you do this, you’re going to deploy. Get used to that concept. Get used to the idea that you may not see your kids for a year. If that is unfathomable to you, then military service may not be for you. It’s good that you’re asking questions, but you’re coming across as someone whose heart isn’t in it.

Time for some honest soul searching. Why are you doing this in the first place?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I think we all skipping over certain elements of the OPs opening questions. I think his head and heart are in the game but people are reading past his request for information. Assuming I understand his comments thus far here is what he is looking for.

1. Given that he is a reservist he will not receive PCS orders but mobilization orders. He will go, his family will stay.

2. His BAH will be based on his home of record up in Chicago land - even while deployed.

3. Assuming he is an JG with dependents BAH is $2391 (tax free) for his zip code.

4. BAS is fixed. =$256 a month (tax free)

5. If you are placed on orders that send you away (deployed or school) you will be paid travel, lodging, and per diem while you are away from your family. This can range from $1 a day to $600 depending on where you go...don't expect too much income from this.

6. If you are deployed to a combat zone you will get him some pocket change and a tax exclusion.

7. If you are deployed for more than 30 days qualify for Family Separation Allowance at the rate of $250 per month, tax-free. Prorated for any partial months deployed.

In short, not knowing your entire family situation, if your basic pay (net) + BAH + BAS covers your existing bills you should be OK.

Curious548

@Griz882 Thank you so much for the breakdown! That is exactly what I was looking for! I can run those numbers now to make sure the financials work out. I really appreciate the time you spent putting that together for me!